The Student Room Group

A level choices and HSPS at Cambridge

Hi everyone, now I'm doing my as level course and I chose math, physic, chemistry and economic.
I want to apply for HSPS in the future, but I am concerned about whether those subjects I chose are proper or not, or whether it's too science-based??
Original post by LynnzzZ
Hi everyone, now I'm doing my as level course and I chose math, physic, chemistry and economic.
I want to apply for HSPS in the future, but I am concerned about whether those subjects I chose are proper or not, or whether it's too science-based??

It’s a bit unusual not to have any full essay subjects, but the HSPS website says that it’s not essential for you to have studied any particular subjects previously.

The most important thing is to get good grades in the subjects you are doing. Also, perhaps enter an Oxbridge politics essay competition so that you could mention it in your PS as proof that you can write essays.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
It’s a bit unusual not to have any full essay subjects, but the HSPS website says that it’s not essential for you to have studied any particular subjects previously.

The most important thing is to get good grades in the subjects you are doing. Also, perhaps enter an Oxbridge politics essay competition so that you could mention it in your PS as proof that you can write essays.

The websites says an essay-based subject is required, but I am not sure if economic is enough, or those subjects I chosen will make me less competitive.

Besides, could you tell me more about the Oxbridge politic essay competitions? Can I participate in it through Internet?? Because currently I study in an international school in China, it's difficult for me to take part in the competitons if it's only held in Britian.
Original post by LynnzzZ
The websites says an essay-based subject is required, but I am not sure if economic is enough, or those subjects I chosen will make me less competitive.

Besides, could you tell me more about the Oxbridge politic essay competitions? Can I participate in it through Internet?? Because currently I study in an international school in China, it's difficult for me to take part in the competitons if it's only held in Britian.

There are loads of essay competitions run by Oxford/Cambridge colleges; they publish a list of essay titles, you choose one, write the essay, and email it to them. You don't need to be in Britain to do that.
Reply 4
Original post by LeapingLucy
There are loads of essay competitions run by Oxford/Cambridge colleges; they publish a list of essay titles, you choose one, write the essay, and email it to them. You don't need to be in Britain to do that.

That's helpful, thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending