The Student Room Group

History

What is 'tone' when evaluating a source?

I am doing aqa alevel and coursework spec says tone.
Original post by djddjdjddj
What is 'tone' when evaluating a source?

I am doing aqa alevel and coursework spec says tone.

how it comes across, i.e is a source powerful, forceful, rhetorical etc. It usually refers to speeches and can be difficult to analyse if you haven't heard the speech before
it isn't a huge part of source evaluation and is only usually worth a couple of marks, the most important parts are content and provenance but if you can fit some stuff in about tone then do it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
how it comes across, i.e is a source powerful, forceful, rhetorical etc. It usually refers to speeches and can be difficult to analyse if you haven't heard the speech before
it isn't a huge part of source evaluation and is only usually worth a couple of marks, the most important parts are content and provenance but if you can fit some stuff in about tone then do it :smile:

well since i am gonna quote from a book about kings 500 yrs ago i wont have speech, so how do i explain the tone of lets say a judgement on a king's legislative success
Original post by djddjdjddj
well since i am gonna quote from a book about kings 500 yrs ago i wont have speech, so how do i explain the tone of lets say a judgement on a king's legislative success

look at whether it is critical or supportive stuff like that, it is kind of hard to know without looking at it but dont post it here as it is your coursework. You are meant to have multiple sources for coursework so if you are finding it too hard for this one then just do it for another one, you dont need to talk about tone for every source like you do for content and provenance and it looks too clunky and formulaic if you arent careful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending