The Student Room Group

Is it worthwhile to study the Scottish legal system?

I am a law student from the Netherlands and planning on studying abroad for a year. I would love to study in a common law country and was originally planning on going to Ediinburgh University. However, I found out that Scotland does not have a common law system, but a kind of combination of common law and civil law. Would it still be worthwhile to study law in Scotland or would it be better to look for an university in England?

PS As English is not my native language I would like to apologize for any mistakes
Original post by Netsta
I am a law student from the Netherlands and planning on studying abroad for a year. I would love to study in a common law country and was originally planning on going to Ediinburgh University. However, I found out that Scotland does not have a common law system, but a kind of combination of common law and civil law. Would it still be worthwhile to study law in Scotland or would it be better to look for an university in England?

PS As English is not my native language I would like to apologize for any mistakes

Contact Edinburgh and ask what modules they will be teaching. They will probably teach English Law as well. English law imo is more useful and a better reflection on things because it lends itself internationally to other common law jurisdictions.

As I understand it then it would be free in Scotland, so if you can learn English Law there, then do that for the best of both worlds.

Update

A quick look seems to be that Edinburgh really does focus on Scots Law.
Clear your concerns up with them.

Glasgow on the other hand runs a Common Law LLB so they may well be able to provide you with what you are looking for. Other Scottish Unis do the same.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/commonlaw/
If you study the Scottish Law you will be able to practice it within Scotland so if you want to work in England its best to do the LLB Law which is based on the English legal system....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending