The Student Room Group

Parents want me to start paying rent

Im on a gap year and just got a job, and my parents want me to start paying rent. My Dad is telling me the government is ringing about me and needs a picture of my contract to start paying rent but won't show me the letters, help?
Reply 1
He’s lying, that’s why he can’t show you letters.

If your parents desperately need the money, help them out. If no, then don’t.
The letters are about council tax and how he's losing benefits because im 18 now. I don't know what to do because he's asking for rent way above what I could earn
The council may be making enquiries about council tax. If you are over 18 and not in full time education then (as far as I know) you are eligible to pay council tax.

If your father is the only adult in the house then he'll have been paying a reduced rate. If you now count as an adult as well and don't qualify for an exemption then it will mean he needs to pay full tax.

If this is the case and he's asking for a contribution then that might be fair depending on your money situation. However I'm not sure why he's going on about rent. And you've mentioned "parents" so I assume you're living with more than one adult so the whole tax thing may not apply. Quite strange. As Ishax said, if they're struggling for money then you could help them out.
Reply 4
Original post by TattyBojangles6
The letters are about council tax and how he's losing benefits because im 18 now. I don't know what to do because he's asking for rent way above what I could earn

I mean, he can’t be losing that much benefit. What’s your household income like? If you’re struggling, help them out.
as the above posters say, council tax may have increased for them so 100% you should be paying the difference.

Also, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for your parents to ask for rent - your using hot water, heating, food etc. And your earning now so why should your parents foot the bill? My parents charged me £500/ month when I moved back home after graduating... which to be fair I was annoyed about because I thought that was steep considering all my friends were paying their parents £200-300. It’s totally reasonable for them to ask for rent, you can’t just continue to live off them for free , especially as you have a job
Original post by -MizzSnazzter-
as the above posters say, council tax may have increased for them so 100% you should be paying the difference.

Also, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for your parents to ask for rent - your using hot water, heating, food etc. And your earning now so why should your parents foot the bill? My parents charged me £500/ month when I moved back home after graduating... which to be fair I was annoyed about because I thought that was steep considering all my friends were paying their parents £200-300. It’s totally reasonable for them to ask for rent, you can’t just continue to live off them for free , especially as you have a job

It's reasonable so long as it's reasonable (the amount, that is). I think I paid my mum £50 a week when I moved back from uni. My brother refused to pay anything at all. In hindsight, possibly a smart move by him as it meant he could save up for a deposit more easily.

£500 per month is very steep.
Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard
It's reasonable so long as it's reasonable (the amount, that is). I think I paid my mum £50 a week when I moved back from uni. My brother refused to pay anything at all. In hindsight, possibly a smart move by him as it meant he could save up for a deposit more easily.

£500 per month is very steep.

Yeah I think £200-300 / month is reasonable:smile:
Reply 8
As has been discussed already, as soon as you come out of full time education, your parents lose the benefit of Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits (if you got both in the first place).

Have a chat with your Dad about the situation, come to an agreement, bosh.
Be reasonable. It's definitely right that you start paying rent regardless of whether it's needed or not because you're still using things that have to be paid by someone. I was paying around 200 a month from the moment I was working full time, not because my parents need it but because they deserve it.

Sit down with your parents, look at your expenses. Example, let's say you get paid £7 an hour, multiply by how many hours you do and work out what is removed from tax if anything and show your parents, 'this is how much I roughly expect to get minimum per month'.
You can then show them the reasonable expenses you have to pay, like a phone bill and then your parents will understand you're capable of looking after money and you can agree on an amount that's good for everyone. You're an adult now, you have responsibility whether you like it or not
Original post by -MizzSnazzter-

You paid £500 for curtailed freedom...sounds like a great idea. Why move back home if you could afford £500 for rent?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TattyBojangles6
Im on a gap year and just got a job, and my parents want me to start paying rent. My Dad is telling me the government is ringing about me and needs a picture of my contract to start paying rent but won't show me the letters, help?

I think it's a good thing, paying rent. It prepares you for the 'real world', so to speak, when paying rent means keeping your property. I don't think it's an unreasonable request at all...however, your old man may be lying about said letters.

You'll find that, when looking back, most **** moves your parents pulled had your best interests at heart.
How much are they asking for if you can't earn it? even on minimum wage you should be earning around £1000 per month.
If you're working full time then you should be paying rent, you're an adult now. If you don't like it you could always move out and pay even more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending