The Student Room Group

Commuting?

Hi guys,
I'm currently in my first year of uni living in halls. I didn't want to move out, but I'm glad I did as I think this year will provide me with independence and life skills for the future. However, I'm unsure whether I should continue to live in the city that my uni is in next year, or if I should commute. As I'm doing an English based degree, my contact time is only 12 hours a week and this year I'm only in classes for 3 (not even full) days. My uni is only about a 40 min train ride from my home and the services are pretty regular and relatively inexpensive; I would save at least £200 a month, without considering food or living costs, even taking into consideration transport fees. Living at home would also allow me to get a part time job so I would be able to save up to be able to move out after I graduate. However it would mean missing out on a large part of the uni lifestyle (not that I'm a party animal) and potential friendships. My current flatmates have said that I could stay at their's if there was a night out, but they seem keen for me to move out with them next year. Does anyone has any strong opinions or experience with commuting? Is it worth saving the money? Please share your thoughts. Thank you 😊
Reply 1
Also I forgot to say that currently my maintenance loan doesn't cover the cost of my student accommodation, so I would have to find a relatively cheap place next year.
Original post by Jazzilina
Hi guys,
I'm currently in my first year of uni living in halls. I didn't want to move out, but I'm glad I did as I think this year will provide me with independence and life skills for the future. However, I'm unsure whether I should continue to live in the city that my uni is in next year, or if I should commute. As I'm doing an English based degree, my contact time is only 12 hours a week and this year I'm only in classes for 3 (not even full) days. My uni is only about a 40 min train ride from my home and the services are pretty regular and relatively inexpensive; I would save at least £200 a month, without considering food or living costs, even taking into consideration transport fees. Living at home would also allow me to get a part time job so I would be able to save up to be able to move out after I graduate. However it would mean missing out on a large part of the uni lifestyle (not that I'm a party animal) and potential friendships. My current flatmates have said that I could stay at their's if there was a night out, but they seem keen for me to move out with them next year. Does anyone has any strong opinions or experience with commuting? Is it worth saving the money? Please share your thoughts. Thank you 😊

I had to commute for a few weeks in my final year you really don't recognize how much you miss out on unless you do commute i was about an hour away and i missed out on everything club nights climbing nights nights out with mates it even made group work hard and that was just a couple of weeks it's really worth staying and liveing in your mattes despite the money you could save.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys,

I would sayb stay ling out everything changes after uni uni really is the last chance you got to get abuslutly plasterde ona night out and not be classed as an alcolic also random nights in in a student hous are lovy remember net year you may have a diffrent time tabel and tha 40 min commute will begin to grate on you you can't do prper work on a train apart from orgnising yiur notes and those 40 mins to uni and back everyday could be better spent sudying you may save mony but you dont want to miss out on the student life style and as you know nights out are almost always a last minute thing I reember one night we manged to go to a subways gig in southapton without tickets that was fun even if i did end up with a cut lip.
Athough I don't have experience of commuting, I know that there are definitely pros and cons to both... @annablagg will be able to give you some more accurate advice as she's been commuting since she came to uni :smile:
Hi guys,

What is stopping you getting a job near where you are now?
Hi guys,

Hey,

I'm in my third year at Hallam and I've been commuting to Uni from the start! I live in the suburbs of Sheffield, so my commute to the city centre usually takes me around half an hour to an hour depending on traffic. In first and second year, I relied quite heavily on public transport and used a range of student saver passes to pay for my commute. I usually drive most days into Uni now, which I've started to find a lot easier - especially with the discount car parks that my Uni offers.

There are definitely a lot of pro's to being a commuter - one as you've mentioned, is that you'll save a lot more money than you would if you was living in accommodation. A lot of people (mainly those who chose to live away from home) have a common perception that by being a commuter, you will miss out on a social life, nights out and generally be 'isolated' from the whole University community - but in my experience (and in many other commuter's), this really couldn't be more wrong.

If you make the effort to maintain friendships, join societies, go on socials etc., there is no reason why you couldn't still live the 'university life' to the full. As I'm in third year now, I don't go on half the amount of nights out that I did in my first year - but living at home has never stopped me! Most of the time, I'd usually stay over at friends flats or houses and there's only been a couple of times that I've needed to get a taxi home after I've been out.

I've posted a thread about my Commute - check it out if you like, the link is below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4828860

Hope this helps :smile:

Anna
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I'd stay at home this year. You'll be saving money and your commute seems fairly reasonable. You'll still be able to get the uni experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending