The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

What’s Newcastle like?

Hi, I am about to apply for uni and would like to know if Newcastle is a campus uni like Nottingham and Birmingham or a city uni like Sheffield.

Also anyone who went to the open day or anyone who studies at Newcastle, can you tell me what its like and what the people are like and the general feel for the place.

Finally as I’m Muslim, are there many halal places to eat, I love food.

Thanks in advance
Original post by musa_tal
Hi, I am about to apply for uni and would like to know if Newcastle is a campus uni like Nottingham and Birmingham or a city uni like Sheffield.

Also anyone who went to the open day or anyone who studies at Newcastle, can you tell me what its like and what the people are like and the general feel for the place.

Finally as I’m Muslim, are there many halal places to eat, I love food.

Thanks in advance

It's right in the city centre :smile: The main campus is literally across the road from the main shopping area in Newcastle. The Medical School is at the north end of the campus so it's a bit further away, the Business School is near St James' Park (the football ground), and the new Urban Sciences Building (where the School of Computing is based) is about a 5 min walk away from the Business School.

Newcastle is very compact (which I love) so you can walk from one end of the city centre to the other in about 30 mins. There are lots of beautiful old buildings and wide pedestrianised roads, so it's not too built up or overcrowded. There's a good mix of high street chain stores, and independent shops (especially if you go to places like Heaton and Jesmond, which are the main student neighbourhoods).

Obviously the night life is well known and there are loads of pubs and clubs if that's your thing. I'm a major introvert, so my favourite places for a night out are the Stand Comedy Club [we get lots of famous comedy acts performing there, it's great] and the Tyneside Cinema [for independent, arty, and international films alongside cult classics and the latest big release]. There's a really vibrant arts and culture scene, too. So there's always something going on.

I moved up here from the south coast, I started at Newcastle Uni in 2011 and I've never left! And there are loads of us who did the same. So I think that proves what a great place it is, how friendly people are, and how quickly you come to love the city and call it home <3

Oh and there's a big Muslim community here, so you aren't going to have trouble finding Halal food :smile: ISoc is one of the biggest societies on campus - search for Newcastle University Islamic Society on Facebook and you'll find their page. They'll be able to give you much better info than I can!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Persephone K
It's right in the city centre :smile: The main campus is literally across the road from the main shopping area in Newcastle. The Medical School is at the north end of the campus so it's a bit further away, the Business School is near St James' Park (the football ground), and the new Urban Sciences Building (where the School of Computing is based) is about a 5 min walk away from the Business School.

Newcastle is very compact (which I love) so you can walk from one end of the city centre to the other in about 30 mins. There are lots of beautiful old buildings and wide pedestrianised roads, so it's not too built up or overcrowded. There's a good mix of high street chain stores, and independent shops (especially if you go to places like Heaton and Jesmond, which are the main student neighbourhoods).

Obviously the night life is well known and there are loads of pubs and clubs if that's your thing. I'm a major introvert, so my favourite places for a night out are the Stand Comedy Club [we get lots of famous comedy acts performing there, it's great] and the Tyneside Cinema [for independent, arty, and international films alongside cult classics and the latest big release]. There's a really vibrant arts and culture scene, too. So there's always something going on.

I moved up here from the south coast, I started at Newcastle Uni in 2011 and I've never left! And there are loads of us who did the same. So I think that proves what a great place it is, how friendly people are, and how quickly you come to love the city and call it home <3

Oh and there's a big Muslim community here, so you aren't going to have trouble finding Halal food :smile: ISoc is one of the biggest societies on campus - search for Newcastle University Islamic Society on Facebook and you'll find their page. They'll be able to give you much better info than I can!

Thanks a lot, it seems great
Original post by musa_tal
Thanks a lot, it seems great

Hey Musa_tal,

Great to hear you're thinking of coming to study with us! Our blog, On Course to NCL is a great place to check out Newcastle's top hot-spots from a student perspective: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/category/your-journey-to-ncl/student-life-your-journey-to-ncl/ 😊

Best wishes,

Susie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending