The Student Room Group

IB choices- SL German B or HL Chinese B?

My options deadline are coming up soon and right now I take both German and Chinese for GCSE but can't decide which one to pick for IB! I've been studying Chinese since primary school and started German 4 years ago. I speak Chinese at home but not Mandarin and I'm not that good at reading/writing. I can't take both languages since I plan on taking two sciences as I want to study dentistry for uni. I'm achieving an A in Chinese (second lang) and A* in German right now. However, my school gives the option of HL Chinese B or SL Chinese A for second language students as SL B is only for foreign language students. Personally, I enjoy German more but I heard that it is hard to achieve a 7 for SL B German. Is it true? Can someone help me out? Preferably, someone who take these languages and tell me how you're finding it? Thanks! :smile:
Getting an 7 in any HL subject is going to be harder than in any SL subject. Languages A are essentially literature options (like your group 1 English) so if you struggle to read and write you will probably do poorly.

Thus it seems German is the logical choice, given it's a strength for you, something you enjoy, and is SL but not assuming language proficiency.
Original post by artful_lounger
Getting an 7 in any HL subject is going to be harder than in any SL subject. Languages A are essentially literature options (like your group 1 English) so if you struggle to read and write you will probably do poorly.

Thus it seems German is the logical choice, given it's a strength for you, something you enjoy, and is SL but not assuming language proficiency.

Hmm yea I agree. Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Original post by trisha_c
My options deadline are coming up soon and right now I take both German and Chinese for GCSE but can't decide which one to pick for IB! I've been studying Chinese since primary school and started German 4 years ago. I speak Chinese at home but not Mandarin and I'm not that good at reading/writing. I can't take both languages since I plan on taking two sciences as I want to study dentistry for uni. I'm achieving an A in Chinese (second lang) and A* in German right now. However, my school gives the option of HL Chinese B or SL Chinese A for second language students as SL B is only for foreign language students. Personally, I enjoy German more but I heard that it is hard to achieve a 7 for SL B German. Is it true? Can someone help me out? Preferably, someone who take these languages and tell me how you're finding it? Thanks! :smile:

I started in SL German A and switched to HL German B - my school thought I could take A because I am half german but bare in mind it's meant for fluent native speakers (which I am most certainly not). I would take german B if I was you its a good course. Also if you do take it a tip would be making flashcards of 10 words surrounding each subtopic (e.g. Oktoberfest) and learn the formats off by heart!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending