The Student Room Group

useful extra -curricular for studying law

i have just started my A-levels and am interested in studying law at university. considering that university places are in high demand and meeting the grade entry requirements doesn't necessarily guarantee a place , what sort of extra-curricular activities would be beneficial and/or stand out to universities for studying law?
debate
Reply 2
Okay, so there is a lot that you can do to make yourself stand out, and some of them aren’t so obvious:

Mini pupillage, they are not that easy to get, but if you can secure one then you are gonna be laughing, they are amazing experiences to see what it is like being a barrister and they look great on a PS

Law work, contact law offices in your town, see if they need an intern, somebody to do paperwork or filing, any help at all. It gives you experience in a legal environment

Retail work, initially working in Poundland doesn’t seem great, but when you relate it to consumer rights, contract law and your advocacy skills. Suddenly it seems better, most jobs that you can do can be related to the law. Whether it be public safety, people rights, contracts etc. You just have to find a way to relate the things you have done to the skills you need as a lawyer. Where have you demonstrated impeccable time management? Where have you show that you think outside the box? Have you done any roles that require research?

Go to court! Seriously, the amount of people who say they want to become a lawyer who have never stepped foot in a court room is scary, you will have a Magistrates and Crown court fairly close to you, go there! Watch cases, watch trials, speak to barristers, clerks, judges, WPS. Get to know what it is like, and again, it shows that you have an extra interest outside of studies

Read! Read law books, research legislation, get a quote that really hits home with you and use it in your personal statement (just don’t overdo them, and don’t use ones everybody uses). Research a specific and unique area of law that interests you, this shows that you have gone above and beyond and are now looking deeper than just tort and crime, for me CSE law is what gets me.

Try to join law societies, most require you to be an undergrad, but some will make exceptions! You don’t get if you don’t ask, look up CILEx, and search your city name followed by ‘law society’, see what comes up 😊

Hope this helps 😊
Original post by whbhb
i have just started my A-levels and am interested in studying law at university. considering that university places are in high demand and meeting the grade entry requirements doesn't necessarily guarantee a place , what sort of extra-curricular activities would be beneficial and/or stand out to universities for studying law?

Anything academic, particularly legal, which shows your intellectual abilities. Reading legal books, looking at primary sources of law, going to speeches by Lord Hope on the the law of evidence. Any of this can help you make an argument for why you want to study law and that you can study law.

Most law students will go to courts and stuff to prove to themselves that they are interested in the law, but it won't prove anything to law admission staff.
Original post by Avaia
Okay, so there is a lot that you can do to make yourself stand out, and some of them aren’t so obvious:

Mini pupillage, they are not that easy to get, but if you can secure one then you are gonna be laughing, they are amazing experiences to see what it is like being a barrister and they look great on a PS

Law work, contact law offices in your town, see if they need an intern, somebody to do paperwork or filing, any help at all. It gives you experience in a legal environment

Retail work, initially working in Poundland doesn’t seem great, but when you relate it to consumer rights, contract law and your advocacy skills. Suddenly it seems better, most jobs that you can do can be related to the law. Whether it be public safety, people rights, contracts etc. You just have to find a way to relate the things you have done to the skills you need as a lawyer. Where have you demonstrated impeccable time management? Where have you show that you think outside the box? Have you done any roles that require research?

Go to court! Seriously, the amount of people who say they want to become a lawyer who have never stepped foot in a court room is scary, you will have a Magistrates and Crown court fairly close to you, go there! Watch cases, watch trials, speak to barristers, clerks, judges, WPS. Get to know what it is like, and again, it shows that you have an extra interest outside of studies

Read! Read law books, research legislation, get a quote that really hits home with you and use it in your personal statement (just don’t overdo them, and don’t use ones everybody uses). Research a specific and unique area of law that interests you, this shows that you have gone above and beyond and are now looking deeper than just tort and crime, for me CSE law is what gets me.

Try to join law societies, most require you to be an undergrad, but some will make exceptions! You don’t get if you don’t ask, look up CILEx, and search your city name followed by ‘law society’, see what comes up 😊

Hope this helps 😊

You need more rep
Reply 5
Original post by Fonzworth
You need more rep

Getting that rep like :reel:
Go to Courts. Get legal work experience.
Reply 7
writing articles for law journals. voluntary work for citizens advice bureau is always a good one.
Original post by Horsey81
writing articles for law journals. voluntary work for citizens advice bureau is always a good one.

For applicants, i.e. at the age of 17, it is unlikely you will be able to volunteer in a meaningful way with CAB. Also there is no way to write articles for law journals, unless it is in the form of a personal blog post (which is not necessarily a bad idea).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending