Original post by Snufkin
Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Chemical Engineering?

Uni choices (a bit ambitious but it's 5 choices): Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Birmingham, Loughborough.
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A (Maths, Chemistry and Physics)
AS grades: AABB (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths)
GCSE grades: 3A*(Maths, Chemistry, Biology) 5A and 2B(Eng Lang and Lit)
Why Chemical Engineering? As you can see from above, I'm only good at Maths and Chemistry so it must be a sign. I'm joking. I love the variety of fields in chemical engineering and I really want to work in a lab in the future. From work experience with nanoparticles, I am thinking of going all the way to PhD level but I can decide later.

University Journey:
Offer from: Birmingham (A*AA)
Interviews from: Imperial (on Wednesday) and Loughborough

Good luck everyone!
Original post by #1Mathlete
University choices: Cambridge (via NatSci), Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle
What subject(s) are currently studying?: IB HL Maths Chemistry Physics, SL German English Geography
Predicted A2 grades: 44 points
AS grades:
GCSE grades: 12 A*
Why Chemical Engineering? Maths-heavy degree with a bit of every science and also interested in economic/practical applications, perfect course for me but not sure about a career in engineering...
Have an applicant day invite from Manchester next week but no offers yet :frown:

Wow, your GCSE grades are amazing! Universities normally take 2 weeks to reply with interviews and offers (except for Cambridge and Bath). But if Manchester is inviting you, it must be an interview. Check your junk mail. If it is then you will probably get an offer from them after a few days.
Original post by Cassandra2816
... I really want to work in a lab in the future. From work experience with nanoparticles, I am thinking of going all the way to PhD level but I can decide later.

If you want to work in a lab in future, you'd probably be better off studying a science degree with plenty of lab work (e.g. chemistry) rather than an engineering course.
Original post by ∆us
Went to a bath open day, the lecturer said a 3rd science subject is 'preferred' not necessarily required. As long as you get A*AA with the A* in either Maths or Chemistry you probably will still get the offer.

What is Bath like in terms of facilities for this course, sport, shopping, etc?
Original post by Smack
If you want to work in a lab in future, you'd probably be better off studying a science degree with plenty of lab work (e.g. chemistry) rather than an engineering course.

I understand but I'd like to go down the pharmaceuticals route. I do enjoy maths a lot so I can't see myself doing a chemistry degree.
Wow, your GCSE grades are amazing! Universities normally take 2 weeks to reply with interviews and offers (except for Cambridge and Bath). But if Manchester is inviting you, it must be an interview. Check your junk mail. If it is then you will probably get an offer from them after a few days.

Thanks, Manchester said they won't make an offer without attendance at an applicant day. Long way to travel from Devon and I prefer Leeds over Manchester so a bit of a pain lol

Noticed you applied for Cambridge as well, which college? I chose Caius
Thanks, Manchester said they won't make an offer without attendance at an applicant day. Long way to travel from Devon and I prefer Leeds over Manchester so a bit of a pain lol

Noticed you applied for Cambridge as well, which college? I chose Caius

I chose Fitzwilliam. Gonville & Caius seemed really good, it was hard deciding between the two. Good luck with travelling to Manchester, it's so far away.
Uni choices (a bit ambitious but it's 5 choices): Swansea, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham
Predicted BTEC grades: DDD
AS grades: UUDE (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies)
GCSE grades: A Maths,1B and 5C D and E
Why Chemical Engineering? Upon work experience to a pilot plant I found they made me very excited and interested in all the machines. As im doing a BTEC i would also have to be on a Foundation year :frown:
I understand but I'd like to go down the pharmaceuticals route. I do enjoy maths a lot so I can't see myself doing a chemistry degree.

Chemistry can have plenty of maths. You could also look at join chemistry-maths degrees, or various flavours of natural sciences courses.

I'm not trying to put you off taking a chemical engineering degree. I think that what you have said are your interests are more traditionally associated with science rather than engineering. If you're interested in pharmaceuticals, have a look at what kinds of things graduate chemical engineers do at those companies - ones like GSK are actually quite big employers and I would hope have information from graduates from various disciplines about what they get up to in their roles. And also look into the backgrounds of those who do the type of lab work you're interested in. I think it would be a good idea to have this information before you commit to a degree course.
Original post by Smack
Chemistry can have plenty of maths. You could also look at join chemistry-maths degrees, or various flavours of natural sciences courses.

I'm not trying to put you off taking a chemical engineering degree. I think that what you have said are your interests are more traditionally associated with science rather than engineering. If you're interested in pharmaceuticals, have a look at what kinds of things graduate chemical engineers do at those companies - ones like GSK are actually quite big employers and I would hope have information from graduates from various disciplines about what they get up to in their roles. And also look into the backgrounds of those who do the type of lab work you're interested in. I think it would be a good idea to have this information before you commit to a degree course.

Isn't biotechnology and biochemical engineering equally relevant to pharmaceuticals? GSK and Astra Zeneca etc employ loads of chemical engineers, I can't imagine chem eng would actually close any doors in that respect
Isn't biotechnology and biochemical engineering equally relevant to pharmaceuticals? GSK and Astra Zeneca etc employ loads of chemical engineers, I can't imagine chem eng would actually close any doors in that respect

I'm not sure, hence why I am suggesting further looking into it.

Edit, in reference to my previous post regarding graduate profiles, sites like Gradcracker often have employee/graduate profiles for the companies that have profiles - just set the filter to chemical/process engineering to see the companies that are looking for grads of that discipline and hopefully plenty will have some profiles of chemical/process engineers, which will explain a bit about what their job involves.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 51
How long ago did your UCAS get sent off
Reply 52
Uni choices (a bit ambitious but it's 5 choices): Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Birmingham, Loughborough.
Why Chemical Engineering? As you can see from above, I'm only good at Maths and Chemistry so it must be a sign. I'm joking. I love the variety of fields in chemical engineering and I really want to work in a lab in the future. From work experience with nanoparticles, I am thinking of going all the way to PhD level but I can decide later.

University Journey:

Good luck everyone!

How long ago did your UCAS get sent off and when did you hear from imperial?
Unis: Leeds, Bath, Manchester, UCL, Sheffield
Predicted Grades: A*AA(A*) Maths, Chemistry, Biology (and EPQ)
AS: A in Maths
GCSEs: 1A*, 7As,3Bs

Applied 21/10/17

Sheffield
01/11/17 - Invited to applicant day on 02/12/17 (means I have an offer)

Manchester
02/11/17 - Invited to interview on 15/11/17

UCL
08/11/17 - Conditional offer AAA :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

University Journey:

Good luck everyone!

Can you please let us know what the vibe of the day/ how the interview was for you? I have mine on the 8th!
Reply 55
What is Bath like in terms of facilities for this course, sport, shopping, etc?

I would say that Bath has some of the best sports facilities for a university in the country, to the point where foreign sports teams (Australian Rugby Team) and British Olympians have trained there. For shopping the town centre has a mall and pretty much everything you need, there are also facilities on the actual campus. I think there were two banks, a grocery store and cafes. As for the course, it has strong industry links and is like 50% coursework and 50% exams. They have a pilot plant and is imo one of the places to go if you truly want to become a chemical engineer as soon as you leave uni.

Sorry for the late response.
Reply 56
Application Submitted: 10/10/17
Applying for Chemical Engineering
Predicted 4A*1A, A in Biology and A* in EPQ, Maths, Chemistry and Physics
University of Oxford (St. John's)
Acknowledgement- 10/10/17

Imperial College
Consideration by department recently

Edinburgh

UCL

Manchester
No acknowledgement but referred on track (?) lmao
25/10 - Just got my offer (AAA including Maths)
Original post by darmes
Application Submitted: 10/10/17
Applying for Chemical Engineering
Predicted 4A*1A, A in Biology and A* in EPQ, Maths, Chemistry and Physics
University of Oxford (St. John's)

Imperial College
Consideration by department recently

Edinburgh

UCL

Manchester
No acknowledgement but referred on track (?) lmao
25/10 - Just got my offer (AAA including Maths)

Was you not invited for a interview by Manchester? It states on their website they require a interview
I want to apply to chemical engineering at these universities:
Loughborough
Birmingham
Nottingham
Sheffield
(not decided 5th yet)

My predicted grades are AA in Bio and chemistry, I sat my maths AS this year and got an A

My GCSEs:
1 A* (maths)
6 A
6 B

I want to study chemical engineering because of my love for maths, I absolutely love problem solving and the design aspect of it also intrigues me.

Anyone know if it's likely I'll get accepted?
Original post by Mahrez
How long ago did your UCAS get sent off and when did you hear from imperial?

1 week and about 3 days. We were the first share of applicants to be interviewed, so there are many more dates to come.

Quick Reply

Latest