The Student Room Group

Civil engineering at UCL or foundation year?

My situation is, that I made the mistake of not taking A level maths. I have however taken physics, geography and Product design. I am predicted 2 A*'s and an A. I have looked at UCL for civil engineering as they do not ask for maths A level, however would I be better off doing a foundation year at Cardiff uni to learn the maths? Thanks
it will be very difficult studying the maths modules without a level maths
Original post by jedygety
it will be very difficult studying the maths modules without a level maths

No it won't. The first year modules will be mostly a repeat of A level maths. It would obviously be easier with A level maths because you can just coast along since you already know it but it's not difficult without it.
Original post by Student-95
No it won't. The first year modules will be mostly a repeat of A level maths. It would obviously be easier with A level maths because you can just coast along since you already know it but it's not difficult without it.

ok. Just speaking from experience
Reply 4
Most courses do require maths. However UCL is the only one I know of which doesn't require maths. Maybe I would be better off taking more time with the foundation year?
Original post by jack-davies
Most courses do require maths. However UCL is the only one I know of which doesn't require maths. Maybe I would be better off taking more time with the foundation year?

Up to you but it's a waste of year imo. The first year of uni is already like a foundation year where they try to get everyone up to speed.
My situation is, that I made the mistake of not taking A level maths. I have however taken physics, geography and Product design. I am predicted 2 A*'s and an A. I have looked at UCL for civil engineering as they do not ask for maths A level, however would I be better off doing a foundation year at Cardiff uni to learn the maths? Thanks

If they dont ask for maths then it is perfectly possible to learn the maths in first year at ucl without having done maths a level. They wouldnt set their students up to fail
Reply 7

Original post by madmadmax321
If they dont ask for maths then it is perfectly possible to learn the maths in first year at ucl without having done maths a level. They wouldnt set their students up to fail

^this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How good are you at maths?

It's quite likely that they'll teach you the required maths in first year anyway. It'll probably be more difficult this way, but possibly worth it if you don't want to spend an extra year in education. As others have said, they're not going to set you up to fail.

[video="youtube;XnFUyqAu3vg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFUyqAu3vg[/video]
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies. I had an A in GCSE maths, and an A in AS physics so I don't believe I'm poor at maths. And yes I agreee it might be a good idea to get a head start in the summer holidays. I have been thinking of applying to Cardiff foundation engineering, as it's closer to me. However an extra year may not be ideal! Thanks again
Reply 10
Thanks for all the replies. I had an A in GCSE maths, and an A in AS physics so I don't believe I'm poor at maths. And yes I agreee it might be a good idea to get a head start in the summer holidays. I have been thinking of applying to Cardiff foundation engineering, as it's closer to me. However an extra year may not be ideal! Thanks again

I'd recommend not doing a foundation. It doesn't seem necessary in your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
I'd recommend not doing a foundation. It doesn't seem necessary in your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I do not do a foundation, will UCL be my only choice?
Reply 12
If I do not do a foundation, will UCL be my only choice?

Quite possibly. They are unusual in their approach but I think that is a plus for you.

Sort out your 5 choices (including UCL) and see where that ends up.
Original post by Doonesbury
Quite possibly. They are unusual in their approach but I think that is a plus for you.

Sort out your 5 choices (including UCL) and see where that ends up.

Thanks for your advice :smile: so possibly apply to UCL, and a few others with a foundation ?
Reply 14
Thanks for your advice :smile: so possibly apply to UCL, and a few others with a foundation ?

Yup!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would just like to point out that if you are concerned about your maths ability, you could always self study the relevant material over the summer, before you start the course.
Yes that is a good idea. If I apply to UCL as my first choice, and a few other uni courses with a foundation year, if UCL offer me a place does that mean I have to go there rather than one of my other choices ? E.g if I change my mind and decide I'd rather a foundation year ?
Yes that is a good idea. If I apply to UCL as my first choice, and a few other uni courses with a foundation year, if UCL offer me a place does that mean I have to go there rather than one of my other choices ? E.g if I change my mind and decide I'd rather a foundation year ?

Nope, you can just put your offers with foundation year as your firm and insurance then reject UCL
Reply 18

There's no "first choice" when you are applying. None of your choices know the order (or identity) of the other choices when you apply.

They only time you make that final choice is when you accept the offers and make your Firm and Insurance decisions. And that doesn't have to happen until May 2018.

Quick Reply

Latest