The Student Room Group

"Half of women" sexually harassed at work

Scroll to see replies

"Sexual harassment is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.[1] In most modern legal contexts, sexual harassment is illegal." Aka making someone feel sexually uncomfortable or bribing.

God now everyone shut the hell up. Just know doing something inappropriate or unprofessional can literally get your ass sacked. This means nothing to those who aren't perverted and are normal people. if my boss comes up to me or you and holds me and whispers in my ear and says I can get a pay rise or holiday if I let him lick me, I can sue him and drain the company of their assets. So don't be stupid? Bye!
(edited 6 years ago)
I know a woman who has a history of reporting male staff for making inappropriate jokes/comments (not aimed at her), yet she describes what she does with her husband to everyone in graphic detail. I'm sure many people have been harassed, but I'd take such polls with a huge grain of salt.
Original post by Salt Queen
"Sexual harassment is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.[1] In most modern legal contexts, sexual harassment is illegal." Aka making someone feel sexually uncomfortable or bribing.

i got

The law says it’s sexual harassment if the behaviour is either meant to, or has the effect of:

violating your dignity, or

creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment

:s-smilie:
Original post by YaliaV
I know a woman who has a history of reporting male staff for making inappropriate jokes/comments (not aimed at her), yet she describes what she does with her husband to everyone in graphic detail. I'm sure many people have been harassed, but I'd take such polls with a huge grain of salt.

Just like every law and right, people milk and misuse and misinterpret. That's why there are professional mediators and lawyers.
Original post by the beer
i got

The law says it’s sexual harassment if the behaviour is either meant to, or has the effect of:

violating your dignity, or

creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment

:s-smilie:

...that falls under bullying and harassment obviously. think of bullying with a kinky twist. That's sexual harassment.
...that falls under bullying and harassment obviously. think of bullying with a kinky twist. That's sexual harassment.

ah right, guess I've experienced quite a bit then.
In my experience of working class workplaces that is definitely true.
Original post by the beer
ah right, guess I've experienced quite a bit then.

Make your decision what you will do :h:
Original post by Tiger Rag
I'm glad some of you find this so funny...

agreed... having been sexually harrassed at work (in two different work places - and yes, I'm pretty sure even the idiots on this thread would 'count' it) the important thing is that this is being talked about, not picking apart a survey

and really OK one 'banterous comment' may not be serious sexual harassment but given the fact people can't openly defend themselves or choose to leave at work people should be keeping ANY sexual comments or banter to themselves

the statistics may be a bit overblown but I'd guess a shockingly high % of people have genuinely been sexually harassed at work and it's not easy to speak up about
Reply 29
Not surprised. Probs true.
Make your decision what you will do :h:

Yeah, i'll do nothing, i made the mistake of not doing so before.
Lol give me an example of banter in the workplace that can be deemed harassing..

It is anything that makes someone feel uncomfortable or vulnerable. My former boss used to talk in graphic detail of his exploits on grinder. Not nice. Why anyone needs to talk about sexual exploits at work is beyond me. Especially when we don't know people as well as we might think.
Original post by ByEeek
It is anything that makes someone feel uncomfortable or vulnerable. My former boss used to talk in graphic detail of his exploits on grinder. Not nice. Why anyone needs to talk about sexual exploits at work is beyond me. Especially when we don't know people as well as we might think.

I mean in regards to personally harassing you in a sexual manner. That's why I think perverted comments directed toward you especially in a cornering or threatening way are serious enough to report either to a head or someone above whoever is doing this to you. Your boss has a boss and if not then take it to court. 😐. If you don't want court work on a pre-court settlement which is better if you want money or benefits.
Reply 33
I don't think much of the survey

as people have rightly pointed out they tend to class every little tiny thing as "sexual harassment" in these sorts of polls, their motive being either to get an eye catching headline and get people talking about it [which often works] ..or to promote feminist type agenda's.........
Reply 34
Shocking and disgusting tbh.
Reply 35
Yes, the vagueness of the question and the small sample size of the interview take away some of the legitimacy of the results, however sexual harassment is a problem - in the work place, in schools, in universities, and in public, among others.

The argument about the interview is taking away from the issue being addressed, perhaps because people don't want to address that this is a legitimate issue that is still happening.
I saw that earlier today...
I thought it would be a lot more for women because I keep reading about the Harvey Weinstein case
I mean in regards to personally harassing you in a sexual manner. That's why I think perverted comments directed toward you especially in a cornering or threatening way are serious enough to report either to a head or someone above whoever is doing this to you. Your boss has a boss and if not then take it to court. 😐. If you don't want court work on a pre-court settlement which is better if you want money or benefits.

I love your idealism. The result was I was eventually dismissed for [at the time] reasons unknown. However, since then my ex boss has also been dismissed for abuse and is now taking our former employer to tribunal.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It uses an incredibly flimsy definition of sexual harassment, as if they defined it in such a way as to increase the figure, for instance it seems one "banterous" comment would count as sexual harassment, not that it defines what counts as an inappropriate joke given that too is highly subjective.

And it is this attitude that is the problem. Unwanted sexual comments are sexual harassment.
Original post by EuropeanBlood
*******s, feminist propaganda ********

Care to elaborate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending