The Student Room Group

Why no discussion on Kevin Spacey and his alleged 'sexual advance'?

This is one of the greatest sex scandals Hollywood has ever seen and it'll keep on giving.

Latest in a series of high profile accusations tainting the entertainment world, actor Anthony Rapp has spoken of a 'sexual advance' at the hands of Oscar-winning Kevin Spacey, who is said to be "horrified to hear the story".

At the age of 14, Rapp was invited to a party by Spacey who, allegedly, assaulted him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41799026

Tragic if true, this is just another domino. Expect a lot more stories coming out in the next few weeks or months. Who will be next? Your favorite actor?

Here's Spacey's pathetic 'apology', in which he comes out as gay - a smokescreen?

https://twitter.com/KevinSpacey/status/924848412842971136/photo/1

Scroll to see replies

*Crickets*
With celebrities, it's a very simple formula.

If your work product is looked upon favourably by a large number of people and you are successful and relatively attractive - it's pretty much a certainty that you can get away with almost anything. Your fans will simply make excuses for you, and if enough people say that the allegations against you are lies...you're home free.

If your work product is marginal, you have limited supporters and you're objectively unattractive - well you've had it.

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville, Gary Glitter - not a huge body of work, not a huge body of devoted fans = guilty, perverted criminals.

Michael Jackson, Bill Wyman, Bill Clinton - huge numbers of supporters, long track record = misunderstood, victims or circumstance or media lies.

Simply put, if you take allegations at face value - where is multiple Oscar winner Kevin Spacey? Is he closer to Rolf Harris or Michael Jackson in terms of profile? That's where his case will probably go.
Original post by Trinculo
With celebrities, it's a very simple formula.

If your work product is looked upon favourably by a large number of people and you are successful and relatively attractive - it's pretty much a certainty that you can get away with almost anything. Your fans will simply make excuses for you, and if enough people say that the allegations against you are lies...you're home free.

If your work product is marginal, you have limited supporters and you're objectively unattractive - well you've had it.

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville, Gary Glitter - not a huge body of work, not a huge body of devoted fans = guilty, perverted criminals.

Michael Jackson, Bill Wyman, Bill Clinton - huge numbers of supporters, long track record = misunderstood, victims or circumstance or media lies.

Simply put, if you take allegations at face value - where is multiple Oscar winner Kevin Spacey? Is he closer to Rolf Harris or Michael Jackson in terms of profile? That's where his case will probably go.

This makes me sick...
Original post by KekNewsNetwork
This makes me sick...

Why so?
Why so?

People getting away with such serious crimes because of power and influence...
I don't think it's right that as soon as this comes out (ba-dum-tsss) he turns it on himself and discusses how he now "chooses to live as a gay man".
People getting away with such serious crimes because of power and influence...

It's not about power and influence at all.

It's about how many people willingly look past what you've done because they like you or what you have done.

Harvey Weinstein has plenty of power and influence, but he's being crucified now as soon as it's trendy to do so.

Bill Clinton on the other hand is pretty much bulletproof so long as people need the Democrats to not be tainted.

Same with Michael Jackson. There's no influence being peddled - people want to make him saintly. With Bill Wyman - everyone knows he was having sex with a 13 year old girl. They just think it's ok because they like the Stones and it's all rock & roll

No different from Elvis. No one is using power or influence to deny that Elvis was a paedo. His millions of fans just deny it and look past it.
Just had a post of mine in which I linked a BBC article put under review.

No swear words, just polite discussion.

This is one of the greatest sex scandals Hollywood has ever seen and it'll keep on giving.

Hey,

Sorry about that, our filters picked it up, but I've merged these two for you now. :h:

:h:

Really? Im sure there are a lot more serious things going on.

Sleazy behaviour just makes them sleazeballs unless theres enough evidence an offence has been committed. You are naive if you think Spaceys is so significant as its an allegation and no offence has been committed that we know of. Its gong to damage his career, but hard to say by how much. Its the child aspect that would be most damaging.

Too many of these allegations are just about sleaze rather than actual crimes. Im surprised even more hasnt come out as they seem to be going back 40 years.

The serious allegations of a crime are being investigated. Unsurprisingly $$$ lawsuits have already been filed. I would wait to see what they find. At the moment any allegation is treated as gospel truth or an actual crime where they are not. Its important to separate the actual crimes from the rest.
Am I the only person who thinks this has been blown way out of proportion?

Clearly making sexual advances to a minor is wrong - but did Spacey know he was a minor? Spacey and Rapp met at a post-show party (so presumably this was quite late) and then went to a nightclub. If you see a young guy out on the town around midnight, you tend not to assume that they're a child. Rapp himself says "it was a different era... I went to work by myself. I would walk to the subway, and go to the theatre by myself" - in short, he behaved like an adult, so Spacey [mistakenly] treated him like one.

It's also worth noting that Rapp was the one who went into Spacey's bedroom during the party. It's not hard to imagine a drunk Spacey coming upstairs after everyone had left to find an (attractive? :dontknow:) young guy sitting on his bed. He made a move, Rapp did not reciprocate, so he left.

Edit: Some of the other stories coming to light about Spacey are, I think, much more serious. Groping someone is assault.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Am I the only person who thinks this has been blown way out of proportion?

Clearly making sexual advances to a minor is wrong - but did Spacey know he was a minor? Spacey and Rabb met at a post-show party (so presumably this was quite late) and then went to a nightclub. If you see a young guy out on the town around midnight, you tend not to assume that they're a child. Rabb himself says "it was a different era... I went to work by myself. I would walk to the subway, and go to the theatre by myself" - in short, he behaved like an adult, so Spacey [mistakenly] treated him like one.

It's also worth noting that Rabb was the one who went into Spacey's bedroom during the party. It's not hard to imagine a drunk Spacey coming upstairs after everyone had left to find an (attractive? :dontknow:) young guy sitting on his bed. He made a move, Rabb did not reciprocate, so he left.

I'm personally not convinced it's the most serious thing in the world either - but it's not exactly as you present it.

Kevin Spacey already knew Rapp - it's pretty certain he knew how old he was.

Had it been a 14 year old girl, I think no-one would be in any doubt that this was misconduct, and the idea that one or other had initiated the truncated encounter would be seen as very unsavoury.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm personally not convinced it's the most serious thing in the world either - but it's not exactly as you present it.

Kevin Spacey already knew Rabb - it's pretty certain he knew how old he was.

Had it been a 14 year old girl, I think no-one would be in any doubt that this was misconduct, and the idea that one or other had initiated the truncated encounter would be seen as very unsavoury.

It's far from 'pretty certain' - Spacey met Rapp at a post-production party, they went to a nightclub where he was invited to a party at Spacey's apartment another night. Assuming Rabb didn't tell him his age, there's no reason why Spacey would know it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I don't think it's right that as soon as this comes out (ba-dum-tsss) he turns it on himself and discusses how he now "chooses to live as a gay man".

Yes. It's like he's saying "I'm gay and that's what gay men do". Go and fluck yourself you dirty child abuser. It's a pity because I used to quite like him, but apparently there are a lot more stories to come about him.
(edited 6 years ago)
Another day, another hollyweird. I've got my teacup hot and ready for more.
people are getting mad at kevin spacey for coming out..

how could he not?

He has refused to talk about his sexuality for years... this story, if he admits he could have done it = him coming out.

There is no way he can admit possible responsibility without also coming out, because admitting responsibility has the implicit meaning that he is gay/bi.

'Its certainly possible that I made advances on a guy' = I am bi/gay = not in the closet any more.

---

Its either deny it completly, which I am glad he did not do.. or admit possible responsibility, and accept that that means your sexuality is known to all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Netflix has pulled House of Cards beyond the currently filming series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41812439
Original post by fallen_acorns
people are getting mad at kevin spacey for coming out..

how could he not?

He has refused to talk about his sexuality for years... this story, if he admits he could have done it = him coming out.

There is no way he can admit possible responsibility without also coming out, because admitting responsibility has the implicit meaning that he is gay/bi.

'Its certainly possible that I made advances on a guy' = I am bi/gay = not in the closet any more.

---

Its either deny it completly, which I am glad he did not do.. or admit possible responsibility, and accept that that means your sexuality is known to all.

What are you talking about! No one is mad he came out. People are mad he is trying to gain support amid rape claims by making it about being gay to appease blind liberals and sjw's. That is *not* my wording, that is literally the discussion. They and the gay community dont like that he's using their advocates to distract from the fact that he's an animal. It also re-raises the strangely buried discussion of the correlations between pedopholia and being gay. It's a discussion that needs to happen and the gays dont want it.
(edited 6 years ago)
I wonder if @MrDystopia is disappointed?:beard:

And will he change his signature?:ninja:
Original post by Salt Queen
What are you talking about! No one is mad he came out. People are mad he is trying to gain support amid rape claims by making it about being gay to appease blind liberals and sjw's. That is *not* my wording, that is literally the discussion. They and the gay community dont like that he's using their advocates to distract from the fact that he's an animal. It also re-raises the strangely buried discussion of the correlations between pedopholia and being gay. It's a discussion that needs to happen and the gays dont want it.

There was no rape, they didn't have sex. Did you actually read what Rapp said? :dong:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending