The Student Room Group

How to work out pass merit distinction for Masters Degree

Hey!
So my MA degree is 180 credits. I know you need 70% pass rate to get an overall distinction but do you merits go towards this or would the whole 70% need to be purely distinction based.

So far i have;

115/180 credits as a distinction
45/180 as a merit
20/180 as a Pass

Does anyone know roughly what this would equate too?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Different universities will have different requirements for award in MA programmes. At my Uni you have to have an overall credit weighted mark of 70 and a mark of 70 in the dissertation for a distinction, other Uni's it will be different.
Original post by sahjahn
Different universities will have different requirements for award in MA programmes. At my Uni you have to have an overall credit weighted mark of 70 and a mark of 70 in the dissertation for a distinction, other Uni's it will be different.

Thank you for your reply! :smile:

We don't have a dissertation we just have 6 modules as below;

module 1 - 20 credits
module 2 - 25
module 3 - 35
module 4 - 20
module 5 - 30
module 6 - 60 credits

So i presume i need 70% of 180 credits as a distinction? so around 126 credits as a distinction and the others as pass/merits to achieve an overall distinction?

thanks again!
Reply 3
It is impossible to tell.

You need to look at the rules for your University as they will all be different. Details of award calculation will be in your handbook or somewhere like that.
Check your university's academic regulations for what you need. At some places you need a certain number of modules above a certain percentage, plus all modules above a different percentage. For my MBA a distinction was 50% of credits at 'A' grade PLUS 75% of credits at or above 'B' PLUS all credits at or above 'C'. No resits allowed. If that's the system at your uni then you'd get a Distinction, congratulations (potentially!)
Original post by Duncan2012
Check your university's academic regulations for what you need. At some places you need a certain number of modules above a certain percentage, plus all modules above a different percentage. For my MBA a distinction was 50% of credits at 'A' grade PLUS 75% of credits at or above 'B' PLUS all credits at or above 'C'. No resits allowed. If that's the system at your uni then you'd get a Distinction, congratulations (potentially!)

Hey! Thank you for replying,
I've painfully gone through my whole handbook and i can't see it anywhere! All the handbook says is that its out of 180 credits and then obviously the 6 modules divided into 20 credits/ 25/25/20/30/60, but no where in it does it state the percentage overall - its a nightmare!
Original post by emilyyyyyyxo
Hey! Thank you for replying,
I've painfully gone through my whole handbook and i can't see it anywhere! All the handbook says is that its out of 180 credits and then obviously the 6 modules divided into 20 credits/ 25/25/20/30/60, but no where in it does it state the percentage overall - its a nightmare!

It's probably not in the handbook - it's normally somewhere in the university's academic regulations. If you say which uni and course I can take a look.
Or in regards to this, does anyone know how to work out what the average grade would be, if i have a distinction for 115, a merit for 45 and a pass as 20 out of the 180

Would this work out as an average to a merit?

Thanks!
Rather than just stating 'pass', 'merit', and 'distinction', it'll be easier for people to answer your question if you posted the actually marks obtained in each module, plus the credit of the modules, as normally speaking, these things are weighted. EG., if your distinction for the 115 credits is at 70%, and the 45 credits at merit is 60%, with the 20 credits pass at 50%, you would be looking an average of 65%, a good merit.
Original post by chaotic1328
Rather than just stating 'pass', 'merit', and 'distinction', it'll be easier for people to answer your question if you posted the actually marks obtained in each module, plus the credit of the modules, as normally speaking, these things are weighted. EG., if your distinction for the 115 credits is at 70%, and the 45 credits at merit is 60%, with the 20 credits pass at 50%, you would be looking an average of 65%, a good merit.

No need for any of that - it's easy to work out using the number of credits at distinction/merit/pass, if we know how the uni calculates the overall grade. I did ask OP to name the uni and course so I could check the academic regulations online, but didn't hear back.
No need for any of that - it's easy to work out using the number of credits at distinction/merit/pass, if we know how the uni calculates the overall grade. I did ask OP to name the uni and course so I could check the academic regulations online, but didn't hear back.

er...99 is a distinction, and so is 70, and so on. Normally, most unis give out distinctions on a final average of 70, merits at 60-69, and a pass at 50-59. Surely the actual marks would have great bearings on the final average? Or are you saying that there a distinction of 70 as opposed to 99, or a merit at 60 as opposed to 69, would make no difference to the final average mark?
er...99 is a distinction, and so is 70, and so on. Normally, most unis give out distinctions on a final average of 70, merits at 60-69, and a pass at 50-59. Surely the actual marks would have great bearings on the final average? Or are you saying that there a distinction of 70 as opposed to 99, or a merit at 60 as opposed to 69, would make no difference to the final average mark?

It will depend on how each particular uni calculates the final result. See my post 5 for how it was done at my most recent uni (which doesn't require us to know individual module results, as long as we know the grades and credits). Obviously, if the uni uses a simple average then the raw scores and weightings do become important. Some unis don't award classifications, while some have other criteria for working out the result (eg distinction in dissertation plus average of all other marks above distinction etc). It's not always straight-forward!
It will depend on how each particular uni calculates the final result. See my post 5 for how it was done at my most recent uni (which doesn't require us to know individual module results, as long as we know the grades and credits). Obviously, if the uni uses a simple average then the raw scores and weightings do become important. Some unis don't award classifications, while some have other criteria for working out the result (eg distinction in dissertation plus average of all other marks above distinction etc). It's not always straight-forward!

Did a quick google search, most UK unis tend to use final averages, and 70% is a distinction (75% for Cambridge, who also do not have merits, just pass and distinction), 60-69 for merit, and 50-59 for a pass. Some requires over 70% in the dissertation before a distinction is awarded, most do not. All requires that all modules must be passed (50%+) for a distinction. Module marks are therefore needed to work out the final award in most UK unis.
(edited 6 years ago)
Did a quick google search, most UK unis tend to use final averages, and 70% is a distinction (75% for Cambridge, who also do not have merits, just pass and distinction), 60-69 for merit, and 50-59 for a pass. Some requires over 70% in the dissertation before a distinction is awarded, most do not. All requires that all modules must be passed (50%+) for a distinction. Module marks are therefore needed to work out the final award in most UK unis.

You just did a quick google search and managed to find and read "most" of the 130-or-so sets of academic regulations? Impressive. And you agree with me that we need to know the rules of OP's university to get the final grade?
You just did a quick google search and managed to find and read "most" of the 130-or-so sets of academic regulations? Impressive. And you agree with me that we need to know the rules of OP's university to get the final grade?

Thank you, I am indeed very impressive. And you think that I was wrong in any of my assertions, then please point them out instead of trying to be sarcastic.

Yes, we do indeed need the rules and regs of the OP's uni to be sure. In which case, why did you say that there is 'no need' to know the marks and weighting for modules when we have no information on those rules and regs?
It's probably not in the handbook - it's normally somewhere in the university's academic regulations. If you say which uni and course I can take a look.

Hi!
I have only just seen this my apologies, it is Liverpool Hope University - MA Creative Practice, i have also just opened this thread regarding the same issue but with all of my grades in now if that helps

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5050426&p=74585524#post74585524

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending