The Student Room Group

National Probation Service Recruitment Process

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RB2013
Hello, I'm writing to enquiry if I would be eligible for the next intake of Probation Service Officers. I graduated from Swansea University last summer with a degree in Criminology and Social Policy. Since then I have completed a 3 month social enterprise internship with Women's Aid working alongside women who were suffering domestic violence, and have also been working full-time as an enforcement officer for the MOJ. I have applied to volunteer at the local prison, and i'm actively seeking other experience with working with vulnerable/challenging behaviour Just wondering for those who have been successful or even those who have just applied.. what counts as an acceptable level of work? and where have people got this experience. My degree provides me with all the modules, but volunteering is hard around my working hours and I'm wondering how extensive the experience needs to me.

he, are you thinking of probation service officer intake or probation officer intake? In regards to experience, what you have looks fine to me. They are not looking for masses of experience, just some. It is more about you as a person and how you adapt and cope with challenging situations. I did volunteering with my local yos office.
Reply 81
Original post by RB2013
Hello, I'm writing to enquiry if I would be eligible for the next intake of Probation Service Officers. I graduated from Swansea University last summer with a degree in Criminology and Social Policy. Since then I have completed a 3 month social enterprise internship with Women's Aid working alongside women who were suffering domestic violence, and have also been working full-time as an enforcement officer for the MOJ. I have applied to volunteer at the local prison, and i'm actively seeking other experience with working with vulnerable/challenging behaviour Just wondering for those who have been successful or even those who have just applied.. what counts as an acceptable level of work? and where have people got this experience. My degree provides me with all the modules, but volunteering is hard around my working hours and I'm wondering how extensive the experience needs to me.

Hi there not sure if you know but there are two you can go for the PSO or PO. PSO (Probation Service Officer) is a lower grade than a PO (Probation Officer)

For the PSO you don’t need a degree but some relevant experience and GCSES. In my opinion this would be harder as the criteria is open to way more people. The PO Position is offered through a programme called PQIP, this is the position I got. You start on a PSO Salary and they train you up for 15 months at which point you qualify as a PO. This route requires you to have a degree in Criminal Justice or a similar degree. They give you four modules you will need to have covered in your degree and you need to prove it by sending over degree transcripts.

As for experience well I have a degree and Masters in the subject area however I got my experience from youth offending. One girl I met on the assessment centre had no experience at all except she grew up on a council estate and living in a community where there were high crime rates so she delt with challenging behaviour that way.

The starting salary for a PSO is 22000 and they manage low and medium risk offenders and a PO is 29000 they manage high risk offenders.

P.s this isn’t based on 2017 the process could change

Hope that helps :-)
Reply 82
Original post by katiew2017
Do not be silly. It is good to find another new starter. As far as I am aware all my vetting is done. I have just received my new starter timetable and all that. Have you done your acceptance of the job etc? No do not work in probation already. I am fresh out of uni. I have been volunteering since last April with my local youth offending team. I am a bit nervous to but looking forward to the challenge.

I still have to submit my medical questionnaire and have been unable to do so as I haven’t been given a password and the company OH Assist who mine has been referred through is closed for 3 weeks so hopefully I can sort that out when they re open next week.

All I’ve had is my formal offer and a new starter form where I had to input all my bank details for pay and I’ve recieved my induction day and schedule for the day. Haven’t recieved a timetable or anything so not sure what hours I can work. But my friend got the position last year and she said the hours are flexible. I’m hoping someone from my office calls me before I start as there’s lots I’d like to ask. Hopefully there will be a couple of us all starting together in the same office.
Original post by LVF
I still have to submit my medical questionnaire and have been unable to do so as I haven’t been given a password and the company OH Assist who mine has been referred through is closed for 3 weeks so hopefully I can sort that out when they re open next week.

All I’ve had is my formal offer and a new starter form where I had to input all my bank details for pay and I’ve recieved my induction day and schedule for the day. Haven’t recieved a timetable or anything so not sure what hours I can work. But my friend got the position last year and she said the hours are flexible. I’m hoping someone from my office calls me before I start as there’s lots I’d like to ask. Hopefully there will be a couple of us all starting together in the same office.

Ah right I see. Yeah I have done those forms to. I literally only received this timetable today. It is basically the dates for training days. I do not know my hours. All I know is to show up 9am Nov 20th. So I guess we discuss hours at our first induction day. Modules look so interesting. Looking forward to getting stuck in.
Reply 84
Ah right I see. Yeah I have done those forms to. I literally only received this timetable today. It is basically the dates for training days. I do not know my hours. All I know is to show up 9am Nov 20th. So I guess we discuss hours at our first induction day. Modules look so interesting. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Oh ok thanks for letting me know, hopefully I will get mine soon x
Reply 85
My friend who got it last year had pre booked holiday just let them know and I’m guessing it’s the same procedure as everyone else so just give some notice and book off what you need. We get 5 weeks hol a year I think plus bank hols.

From what I know hours are pretty flexible so they have core hours where you have to be in the office which I think is 10-3. So you can start at 8/9/10am. And I think there may possibly be one late evening opening for offenders what work during the day. That should be rotered and may not apply to us as new starters.

Where are you based? I’m in Birmingham x

I’m hoping to do an 8-4
Hi everyone,

I had my verbal offer a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve filled in the questionnaire, but I’ve not heard anything else since. I understand that this isn’t unusual and can take up to 8 weeks, so I’m not overly concerned. However, I have a few questions for those further along the process if anyone can help.

I believe there is a medical questionnaire to do, but will I have to attend an actual medical? Getting time off at my current employer is a nightmare without any sort of advance notice so I’m a bit concerned about that. What does the medical questionnaire entail?

Does anyone know if the vetting is as strict as the Police services can be? I think I’ve got family on my dads side with a minor criminal record, and I know that can cause issues with some Police applications. Or is it just my personal history?

Apologies if these questions seem a bit inane to some, but this is a life changing opportunity for me so I’m worried something is going to go wrong haha.

Thanks for reading!
Reply 87
Original post by Fadeaway
Hi everyone,

I had my verbal offer a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve filled in the questionnaire, but I’ve not heard anything else since. I understand that this isn’t unusual and can take up to 8 weeks, so I’m not overly concerned. However, I have a few questions for those further along the process if anyone can help.

I believe there is a medical questionnaire to do, but will I have to attend an actual medical? Getting time off at my current employer is a nightmare without any sort of advance notice so I’m a bit concerned about that. What does the medical questionnaire entail?

Does anyone know if the vetting is as strict as the Police services can be? I think I’ve got family on my dads side with a minor criminal record, and I know that can cause issues with some Police applications. Or is it just my personal history?

Apologies if these questions seem a bit inane to some, but this is a life changing opportunity for me so I’m worried something is going to go wrong haha.

Thanks for reading!

Hi the questionnaire is just an online thing I think. Have you not filled the vetting form out yet? I had it about 2 months ago but the questions I was asked were directly about me it didn’t ask anything about family members. Just off you have had any cautions, convictions or investigations. Also I had to put the three points on muni driving license on there lool.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it x
Original post by Fadeaway
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading!

Hey congratulations on being successful. First of all try not to worry. If they are silent that is a good sign I came to learn. No you do not attend medical centre, at least I have not had to. The questionnaire is straightforward just a few questions. As for how deep the vetting I cannot help you with that one, but I do believe it is just you they check but do not hold me to that. When do you start?
Reply 89
Yes it was competency based interview questions. Then a group task and a written exercise
Thank you. I think I'll be ok with the competency based interview questions as I have many years of experience working with offenders. However, I'm very nervous about the group task! Getting a little ahead of myself as I might not even get through to the assessment centre but I'm trying to remain positive :smile:
Original post by LVF
Hi the questionnaire is just an online thing I think. Have you not filled the vetting form out yet? I had it about 2 months ago but the questions I was asked were directly about me it didn’t ask anything about family members. Just off you have had any cautions, convictions or investigations. Also I had to put the three points on muni driving license on there lool.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it x

Hey congratulations on being successful. First of all try not to worry. If they are silent that is a good sign I came to learn. No you do not attend medical centre, at least I have not had to. The questionnaire is straightforward just a few questions. As for how deep the vetting I cannot help you with that one, but I do believe it is just you they check but do not hold me to that. When do you start?

Thank you for the guidance guys. I start in the new year, I can’t wait to get stuck in to be honest! I’m probably overthinking it to be fair, I thought I’d have to attend a medical to assess physical fitness, drug testing etc. but I haven’t heard or seen anything to that effect so I’m not sure why! I’m normally quite a rational and patient person but for some reason I’m not being regarding this! Haha.
Bit of a random question but does anyone know if you are automatically promoted to PO following completion of the 15 month PQIP programme?

It worries me that on the website it says "Once you’ve completed the programme, you’ll be able to apply for a role as a Probation Officer (PO) however you will remain on contract as a PSO until you successfully apply"...do you have to compete against others and go through the recruitment process again then? I would be taking a rather big pay drop if I applied for this. I can only really afford to do it if the PO position and salary (£29k) is guaranteed :s-smilie: I wouldn't want to remain a PSO if that makes sense lol x
Original post by lacrymosa146
Bit of a random question but does anyone know if you are automatically promoted to PO following completion of the 15 month PQIP programme?

It worries me that on the website it says "Once you’ve completed the programme, you’ll be able to apply for a role as a Probation Officer (PO) however you will remain on contract as a PSO until you successfully apply"...do you have to compete against others and go through the recruitment process again then? I would be taking a rather big pay drop if I applied for this. I can only really afford to do it if the PO position and salary (£29k) is guaranteed :s-smilie: I wouldn't want to remain a PSO if that makes sense lol x

Yes that is right. Once you complete the programme you then apt for probation officer if there are any posts. If it helps the salary for pso is a starting salary. So you can go up the scale over time.
Reply 94
PSO Cohort 3.

Anyone else on the 'hold' list?

Very frustrated to be told that I have been successful but then offered locations which even the person on the phone told me were too far away! (the nearest is a two hour commute). So congratulations you got the job - but you didn't. 😡

I have accepted the formal offer of a job and am going through vetting like everyone else... but wondering what this actually means. Is it worth having much hope? I am in the south west, so maybe there never were many jobs? If I'd known I might not have gone for it; makes current work a bit awkward now.

Pretty galling after putting in the same effort as everyone else and waiting so long too. Feel cheated!
Reply 95
Original post by lacrymosa146

I think there will be plenty of jobs available as they are in demand at the moment. The current workload for PO staff is really high in the Midlands.

Yes you will have to apply for a PO role after 15months and I guess you will be up against others again but you won’t be expected to take on high risk cases untill you are a PO as we won’t be paid the salary to do this really will we.

Maybe they might move up up to the high end of the PSO salary after we qualify until we get a PO job but that’s just a guess.
Reply 96
Original post by mattom
PSO Cohort 3.

Anyone else on the 'hold' list?

Very frustrated to be told that I have been successful but then offered locations which even the person on the phone told me were too far away! (the nearest is a two hour commute). So congratulations you got the job - but you didn't. 😡

I have accepted the formal offer of a job and am going through vetting like everyone else... but wondering what this actually means. Is it worth having much hope? I am in the south west, so maybe there never were many jobs? If I'd known I might not have gone for it; makes current work a bit awkward now.

Pretty galling after putting in the same effort as everyone else and waiting so long too. Feel cheated!

Hi I’m sorry to hear that! I went for it last year and was unsuccessful so I know a bit how you feel. I went for it again and got through this time. From what they told me last time they can give you any local but there’s a radius they work too. They told me you can be expected to commute up to an hour away. 2 hours seems a bit far if I was in your boat o couldn’t accept that ither.

So what have they said? It’s sounds mad they have put you through all the vetting as I’m sure it costs alot so on that note it sounds hopeful you will get the job and if you have a formal offer it should have the office on where you are based?

Also I can relate to the fact is is uncomfortable at work as I was worried about this too but I spoke to my employer about it and they were really nice about it luckily.
Reply 97
The formal offer just has a blank by the location. I had the email asking me to accept it. The vetting is in progress now. The offered locations were Basingstoke, Winchester, Portsmouth ....& others in Hampshire nowhere near where they know I live (Somerset).. I had thought making it to and through the assessment centre in Bristol would be some kind of indication that jobs in my region were available.

Was asked to say how far I would commute & this has been noted in case something comes up or there is a new intake. 😕 Have to say this is all a bit crappy on their part.

Maybe I was the least-favourite candidate but the whole process is very much at their convenience and at none of mine!
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes that is right. Once you complete the programme you then apt for probation officer if there are any posts. If it helps the salary for pso is a starting salary. So you can go up the scale over time.

Original post by LVF
I think there will be plenty of jobs available as they are in demand at the moment. The current workload for PO staff is really high in the Midlands.

Yes you will have to apply for a PO role after 15months and I guess you will be up against others again but you won’t be expected to take on high risk cases untill you are a PO as we won’t be paid the salary to do this really will we.

Maybe they might move up up to the high end of the PSO salary after we qualify until we get a PO job but that’s just a guess.

Do you know what the chances of a position are? Surely they can only place people where they know there will be qualified PO vacancies? Little misleading otherwise.

I don't know what to do now as I could only really afford to take the pay drop for the 15 months :frown:
Reply 99
Original post by mattom
The formal offer just has a blank by the location. I had the email asking me to accept it. The vetting is in progress now. The offered locations were Basingstoke, Winchester, Portsmouth ....& others in Hampshire nowhere near where they know I live (Somerset).. I had thought making it to and through the assessment centre in Bristol would be some kind of indication that jobs in my region were available.

Was asked to say how far I would commute & this has been noted in case something comes up or there is a new intake. 😕 Have to say this is all a bit crappy on their part.

Maybe I was the least-favourite candidate but the whole process is very much at their convenience and at none of mine!

I think you should call the recruitment team as you should definitely know your exact location by now and my formal offer has my office on. Also I’m sure you will need to know where you are so you can research travel arrangements etc.

Are you starting 20/11/17?

Here’s the contact details incase you need them

0845 0743798
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending