The Student Room Group

Is getting a job during A levels a good idea

I've wanted to get a part time job for while now but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to balance it.
Year 12
A Level subjects:Chemistry, Biology, Psychology
Getting a weekend job for a few hours a week might be a good idea as you can earn money and it gives you experience to put on your CV when you want to apply for future roles. However, you need to consider how much time your studies will take up and how much workload you have to deal with. For some people, they struggle to balance their studies with working, which often has a negative effect on their studies and grades. If you have the time on your hands, getting a job is a good idea, but not at the expense of your education.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
Getting a weekend job for a few hours a week might be a good idea as you can earn money and it gives you experience to put on your CV when you want to apply for future roles. However, you need to consider how much time your studies will take up and how much workload you have to deal with. For some people, they struggle to balance their studies with working, which often has a negative effect on their studies and grades. If you have the time on your hands, getting a job is a good idea, but not at the expense of your education.

As it's only the beginning of the academic year my workload isn't that heavy yet so I'm not sure if I should try and get a job now or later next year if I still don't find things difficult.
Reply 3
I've had a job since the summer holidays after i left school. I'm now in my second year of college and off to uni next year. I work up to 10hrs a week along with college work, I used to work 15-20hrs but I advise you to work no more than 10 to have a good chance of passing your first year
Original post by RISB
I've wanted to get a part time job for while now but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to balance it.
Year 12
A Level subjects:Chemistry, Biology, Psychology

I did the EXACT same a levels as you, and just about got by with the workload without a part time job. I know a levels have stepped up now with the whole "no AS exams/do all exams at the end of the 2 years" thing, so I would recommend no job or an 8 hour max contract on weekends. I basically only worked part time during summer.
Reply 5
Original post by prophetkid
I did the EXACT same a levels as you, and just about got by with the workload without a part time job. I know a levels have stepped up now with the whole "no AS exams/do all exams at the end of the 2 years" thing, so I would recommend no job or an 8 hour max contract on weekends. I basically only worked part time during summer.

Okay, thank you for your input i appreciate it.👍
I have a couple of friends who work jobs - none of them have enough time for their studies, they're all incredibly stressed. They appreciate the money but they're very behind in their studies. Lots of them have a situation where they have to choose between work and homework, and because of money they always choose work. I would not recommend getting a job, even in first year, as someone I know flopped his first year because he had a job, and the college basically told him to quit or he'd fail his A-Levels.
Reply 7
Yes. I got a job at the start of Year 12 and have been working for 1 year now. I'm in Yr 13 now.. All I gotta say is don't let it prioritise studies.
Reply 8
If you don't have a job how else are you going to get money? A little bit of extra money you could save towards Uni or you could use that money to buy designer clothing to stunt infront of your friends and attract females.
Reply 9
it doable if you are organised and make a schedule

Quick Reply

Latest