The Student Room Group

I'm taking 4 A Levels...should I do EPQ?

Hey,
I'm doing four subjects at A level (Maths, Physics, Spanish and Further Maths), and planning to do aeronautical engineering - should I do an epq? If i was going to do one, I would do it on humans leaving Earth to find a new planet.
Thanks
Some Unis like it others disregard it - Check your list of university choices to see if it's worthwhile! :smile:
Are you in year 12 or year 13? If you're in year 13, a DEFINITE NO. You will have absolutely no time to do an EPQ on top of your 4 subjects. if year 12, go for it. Unis love it, and they often lower entry requirements if you get an A/A*
Reply 3
Original post by Cereidee
Are you in year 12 or year 13? If you're in year 13, a DEFINITE NO. You will have absolutely no time to do an EPQ on top of your 4 subjects. if year 12, go for it. Unis love it, and they often lower entry requirements if you get an A/A*

I'm in yr 12...do they lower your grades? Most universities use a grading system to choose students right?
Original post by alwin.sm
I'm in yr 12...do they lower your grades? Most universities use a grading system to choose students right?

Well, when I was applying to and looking at university places quite a few offered to lower one grade. For example, The University of Birmingham, offered me AAB instead of the usual AAA as I achieved an A grade in my EPQ.

The EPQ is also great because it demonstrates your independent research skills, time-management, and planning skills. It's a great thing to write about in your PS, and shows true university candidate qualities.
Reply 5
Well, when I was applying to and looking at university places quite a few offered to lower one grade. For example, The University of Birmingham, offered me AAB instead of the usual AAA as I achieved an A grade in my EPQ.

The EPQ is also great because it demonstrates your independent research skills, time-management, and planning skills. It's a great thing to write about in your PS, and shows true university candidate qualities.

Wow fair enough! Did you find you had enough time to study other subjects as well as doing the epq?
Reply 6
Hey,
I'm doing four subjects at A level (Maths, Physics, Spanish and Further Maths), and planning to do aeronautical engineering - should I do an epq? If i was going to do one, I would do it on humans leaving Earth to find a new planet.
Thanks
You would be better spending the time concentrating on getting the best grades you can out of your A levels. An EPQ is just going to eat into that time and won't be of any interest to the better universities. It adds to yous UCAS points and pads out your PS but that's it.
Wow fair enough! Did you find you had enough time to study other subjects as well as doing the epq?

Yeah, as I was in year 12, there is less pressure on studying, I'm not saying that you don't have to study, but obviously with the new changes, the grades don't carry over to the next year, it's not as intense as year 13 is, and so you can afford to spend some time on something other than your A-level subjects for a while.
Reply 8
Yeah, as I was in year 12, there is less pressure on studying, I'm not saying that you don't have to study, but obviously with the new changes, the grades don't carry over to the next year, it's not as intense as year 13 is, and so you can afford to spend some time on something other than your A-level subjects for a while.

Wait, what do you mean the grades don't carry over to yr 13?
Wait, what do you mean the grades don't carry over to yr 13?

They reformed the A-levels in 2015 along with GCSEs....
Everything is linear, now, AS and A2 are two separate qualifications, AS is no longer worth 1/2 an A2. You can get a grade E in year 12 and still come out with an A grade - if you worked a miracle - in year 13.

once you complete year 12, you drop one of your four subjects - or keep them all if you're brave - and the three grades from the subjects you chose to carry on get cashed in. They no longer mean anything. The only thing that will be worth anything is that one subject's grade you dropped, unless it's a U grade then it's worth 0.

Didn't your school inform you of this? it's a pretty big deal.

Mind you, some subjects are not quite reformed yet, I'm not sure which ones as they are all currently being phased out but yeah. look it all up, you should be informed.

Quick Reply

Latest