The Student Room Group

Grow your Grades! My GCSE journey with tips, revision types and lots of snacks ;)

:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hey Beheshta!
good luck with your journey, and im sure you'll smash your gcses!
im in y10 and we're doing the same core subject exam boards. i also wanna be a paediatric doctor or a psychiatrist. what inspired you to look into medicine?
Reply 2
Original post by mez_merising
hey Beheshta!
good luck with your journey, and im sure you'll smash your gcses!
im in y10 and we're doing the same core subject exam boards. i also wanna be a paediatric doctor or a psychiatrist. what inspired you to look into medicine?

If I’m very honest I’m not sure as I was growing up family around me were always talking about doctors and medicine etc. So u could say it’s all I’ve ever been interested in. I did look into many other careers however medicine excites me the most and I love to help children!
Loving it already Beheshta!:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by A.N123
Loving it already Beheshta!:biggrin:

Thanksss, are u taking GCSE's also?
Original post by x.beheshta
Thanksss, are u taking GCSE's also?

Yh im taking gcse's but im currently in year 10!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by A.N123
Yh im taking gcse's but im currently in year 10!:biggrin:

Ohh i see you could still follow my revision tips when I do them though!! :smile:
Love it!! Will be following your journey :smile:
00-scaled.jpg
INTRODUCTION POST- (grow your grades)

A doughnut in one hand and a pen in another and the endless episodes of netflix streaming on my laptop. Yes that pretty much sums most of us up!

and no we cannot call the studying unfortunately^:bawling:

So put all the electronics away because we just cannot study if we are getting snapchats every 2 seconds. Though once a week i will be doing a "show break" which is where I recommend a Netflix movie or show on my blog so you guys can take a break from all the hard work. But no binge watching allowed :grin:

About me:
Hellooooo friends! So my name is Beheshta (Persian for paradise in case anybody was wondering :h:) I like to cook/bake , I train as an athlete and take part in many sporting activities:dumbells:, I like to study of course :biggrin: *hint of sarcasm*, and I'm currently in year 11 taking my GCSE's in the summer.

I will be taking:

-Maths (edexcel)
-Additional maths (OCR)
-English language and literature (AQA)
-Triple science: biology, chemistry and physics (AQA)
-Geography (AQA)
-Physical education (AQA)
-spanish (edexcel)
-Religious education (AQA)

at the moment I'm mostly at 7's (and above) in nearly all of my subjects and I hope to maintain this strong start for my mocks at the end of this month!

my aspirations:
I hope to be a Paediatric doctor in the future and I've researched into the pathways of medicine a lot! So I'm pretty set for what I'm hoping to achieve. Furthermore have already completed some work experience!

So what am i hoping to achieve?
For starters I'm hoping to well... 'grow my grades' and yours too! I will definitely be posting weekly and maybe more often than that. I will go through what works for me, and what may work for others. What else I do to balance my revision and my free time. And the challenges that I have faced and what you guys may be facing!
I'm also open to any questions so feel free to ask away!!! :insert:

Good luck to me and all of you!

Remember to remain motivated, your starting point does not determine your results. :wavey:

Many Thanks for reading.

Don't forget to watch the thread!
:keyboard:

Best of luck, will definitely be watching :smile:
Hey. I’m in Year 10 - however I’m homeschooled and doing(all by myself).

AQA Maths
AQA Psychology
AQA English Lang
CIE Computer Science

I’m aiming for a grade 9 in all.

Do you have any tips for English language? I’m so frightened that I’m not gonna be able to do it - I already did iGCSE Science and got a BB.
Reply 11
Original post by oinkcows
Hey. I’m in Year 10 - however I’m homeschooled and doing(all by myself).

AQA Maths
AQA Psychology
AQA English Lang
CIE Computer Science

I’m aiming for a grade 9 in all.

Do you have any tips for English language? I’m so frightened that I’m not gonna be able to do it - I already did iGCSE Science and got a BB.

Wow that’s great and sure I could focus my next blog on English language paper 1 as I’ve also got a mock exam coming up for that
Reply 12
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Love it!! Will be following your journey :smile:

greattt will be posting soon!
Reply 13
Original post by brainzistheword
Best of luck, will definitely be watching :smile:

thanks!
Reply 14
Grow your grades: Mock exams approaching!
thumbnail_IMG_5169.jpg
My mock exams begin on the 23rd November (so under 10 days!) and I must say that I've been revising pretty well for my science subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Physics. However I've barely started doing work on PE, RS, and Geography. So I haven't had the best approach to organising my time and priorities but I will share some of my useful revision tips (specifically what I do for science)

What I do:

1) The first thing i do usually is always refresh and revise content. I do this mainly by taking notes, watching youtube videos on channels such as 'fuse school' and reading over the aqa specification to ensure I'm covering all the content.

2 Learning content is useless if you don't test yourself. A good way to begin this is by writing your own questions. The better your notes and knowledge the more questions you can make for yourself to test your memory. Make sure to follow this up with exam questions and past papers that can be found online.

3) Be critical of your work! Mark your work harshly because that's what it would be like in the real exam. Sometimes its even better to get a friend or teacher to mark it for you. If you got something wrong don't just assume that you will remember it next time. Note it down, write it on your hand and revisit it the next day to ensure you don't make the same mistakes.

4) Take it slowwww. Don't try to revise huge amounts at once. You won't remember most of it and you'll just be wasting your time. Instead time yourself short bursts and revise small topics at a time. Don't squeeze all your revision, it's not effective.

Tips:
> If you struggle to understand topics don't be afraid to ask for help from your teachers, also look for online resources or ask me your questions and I'll try my best to help :smile:

> Don't stress! science subjects can be content heavy and hard. That doesn't mean that you aren't capable it just means that you need to work a bit harder and revise smart.

> The best way to be successful is to revisit topics even when it isn't exam season. The more you review topics the more likely it is to remain in your long term memory. This can take off some pressure for your actual GCSE exams as you will be revisiting not re-learning.

> Be a teacher! The best way to test your understanding is to teach (to a parent, sibling or friend). That's why ur teachers remember everything! Teaching ur topics, weather it's the structure of DNA or titrations, will not only help make it clearer for yourself but it also means you will remember it for longer.

What else i've been doing:
Last week i held a bake sale at my school for children in need and raised just over £100. I've also been going to sixth form open evenings and began to apply to some.

and for this weeks show break I'm recommending: The maze runner: the scorch trials.
It's been recently added and is a great movie following the first film.

If you have any further questions or recommendations feel free to drop them below!!

:grouphugs:
(edited 6 years ago)
Grow your grades: Mock exams approaching!
thumbnail_IMG_5169.jpg
My mock exams begin on the 23rd November (so under 10 days!) and I must say that I've been revising pretty well for my science subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Physics. However I've barely started doing work on PE, RS, and Geography. So I haven't had the best approach to organising my time and priorities but I will share some of my useful revision tips (specifically what I do for science)

What I do:

1) The first thing i do usually is always refresh and revise content. I do this mainly by taking notes, watching youtube videos on channels such as 'fuse school' and reading over the aqa specification to ensure I'm covering all the content.

2 Learning content is useless if you don't test yourself. A good way to begin this is by writing your own questions. The better your notes and knowledge the more questions you can make for yourself to test your memory. Make sure to follow this up with exam questions and past papers that can be found online.

3) Be critical of your work! Mark your work harshly because that's what it would be like in the real exam. Sometimes its even better to get a friend or teacher to mark it for you. If you got something wrong don't just assume that you will remember it next time. Note it down, write it on your hand and revisit it the next day to ensure you don't make the same mistakes.

4) Take it slowwww. Don't try to revise huge amounts at once. You won't remember most of it and you'll just be wasting your time. Instead time yourself short bursts and revise small topics at a time. Don't squeeze all your revision, it's not effective.

Tips:
> If you struggle to understand topics don't be afraid to ask for help from your teachers, also look for online resources or ask me your questions and I'll try my best to help :smile:

> Don't stress! science subjects can be content heavy and hard. That doesn't mean that you aren't capable it just means that you need to work a bit harder and revise smart.

> The best way to be successful is to revisit topics even when it isn't exam season. The more you review topics the more likely it is to remain in your long term memory. This can take off some pressure for your actual GCSE exams as you will be revisiting not re-learning.

> Be a teacher! The best way to test your understanding is to teach (to a parent, sibling or friend). That's why ur teachers remember everything! Teaching ur topics, weather it's the structure of DNA or titrations, will not only help make it clearer for yourself but it also means you will remember it for longer.

What else i've been doing:
Last week i held a bake sale at my school for children in need and raised just over £100. I've also been going to sixth form open evenings and began to apply to some.

and for this weeks show break I'm recommending: The maze runner: the scorch trials.
It's been recently added and is a great movie following the first film.

If you have any further questions or recommendations feel free to drop them below!!

:grouphugs:

hey good luck with mocks! and thanks for the tag! (how do i tag you back??)
Reply 16
Original post by mez_merising
hey good luck with mocks! and thanks for the tag! (how do i tag you back??)

There’s a little symbol that looks a bit like a price tag. Tap that then enter my username x
Hey! Reeeeeally liking this, please keep me updated :h:

Also PS those doughnuts look incredible :drool:
Reply 18
Original post by Protostar
Hey! Reeeeeally liking this, please keep me updated :h:

Also PS those doughnuts look incredible :drool:

Thanksss and they’re from Krispy Kremes 😉
Thanksss and they’re from Krispy Kremes 😉

Oh that doesn't surprise me, I looooove Krispy Kreme! :daydreaming:

Quick Reply

Latest