The Student Room Group

Kicked out of pharmacy, is it worth doing pharmacology?

Long story short, I made an illegal mistake (did not harm anyone it was an online offense) before I started uni which turned into a conviction due to evidence being found, even though I should've got a caution and been pardoned as stated by my solicitor. I am now in my 2nd year of pharmacy and because of this they have kicked me out and it took so long, all that studying for nothing.

They offered me direct entry in pharmacology 2nd year? Is it worth it...

Anyone studying pharmacology?
Do you want to study pharmacology?

You say your act was harmless. All criminal acts harm someone in some shape or form. Just because it’s online doesn’t mean someone/something wasn’t harmed
You certainly can’t have a career as a medical professional.
Do you want to work in research? If so then go for it
In your post it says that you were convicted before uni so why did you not declare your conviction in the first place? You’re lucky you haven’t just been booted out
Failure to declare the conviction was fraudulent, which incidentally is another crime
Original post by Sammylou40

You say your act was harmless. All criminal acts harm someone in some shape or form. Just because it’s online doesn’t mean someone/something wasn’t harmed
In your post it says that you were convicted before uni so why did you not declare your conviction in the first place? You’re lucky you haven’t just been booted out
Failure to declare the conviction was fraudulent, which incidentally is another crime

I would like to point out that:

The offense was around illegal material that I accessed unintentionally because I was misled and I didn't know what it was, I understand the harm behind it but I did not mean for any of this happen

The offense only came to my attention after I had started uni because it took the police several months to track me down from the initial offense/incident

I informed the university straight away in year one September 2016

I do, I want to be a medical sales representative tbh

and I like the idea of research
Original post by ShattererdLife
I would like to point out that:

The offense was around illegal material that I accessed unintentionally because I was misled and I didn't know what it was, I understand the harm behind it but I did not mean for any of this happen

The offense only came to my attention after I had started uni because it took the police several months to track me down from the initial offense/incident

I informed the university straight away in year one September 2016

Then if that is the truth it seems unfair,I agree , to let it go on this long.
Have you checked wether the type of offence prohibits you from working as a pharmacist?
If it doesn’t, is there an appeal process?
Have you accessed some legal advice?
It could be worth it.
If you’re happy to study pharmacology then go for it and good luck. But please get some proper advice first
Original post by ShattererdLife
I do, I want to be a medical sales representative tbh

and I like the idea of research

You don’t need to do that to be a sales rep. I’ve looked at sales rep jobs and mostly they just want a good salesperson. Is there anything else that interests you? Otherwise atleast you can go straight into second year and it’s still a 3 year degree isn’t it? I thought pharmacology would lead to lab work or industry? Otherwise it’s still a good degree. What would be your alternative option?
Original post by enem2211
You don’t need to do that to be a sales rep. I’ve looked at sales rep jobs and mostly they just want a good salesperson. Is there anything else that interests you? Otherwise atleast you can go straight into second year and it’s still a 3 year degree isn’t it? I thought pharmacology would lead to lab work or industry? Otherwise it’s still a good degree. What would be your alternative option?

Often pharmaceutical companies will stipulate that their sales representatives must have a background in pharmaceuticals, or at least in a scientific subject. You will need to understand the products you're selling, and already having a degree in pharmacology will reduce the amount of money that a company will have to spend training you. You already know how x drug family affects x organ, for example.

OP - obviously nobody here knows your exact situation, but if you really want to be a pharmacist, I'd definitely recommend taking some legal advice. Otherwise, if you're interested in pharmacology and the career paths it opens up to you, go for it!
Reply 7

Not exactly true is it...
Original post by Napp
Not exactly true is it...

Care to name a criminal act that doesn’t?
Reply 9
Care to name a criminal act that doesn’t?

Not to sound too trite but smoking weed, for example. If a perosn is sat in their home smoking some home grown it harms absolutely no one... To name some others; solicitation, sexual deviancy, trespassing, a 17yr old buying a drink etc. etc. etc.
Look up what a victim-less crime is.
Original post by Napp
Not to sound too trite but smoking weed, for example. If a perosn is sat in their home smoking some home grown it harms absolutely no one... To name some others; solicitation, sexual deviancy, trespassing, a 17yr old buying a drink etc. etc. etc.
Look up what a victim-less crime is.

And you think all those are harmless?
Reply 11
And you think all those are harmless?

Depending on the circumstances, yes. Just like how things that are perfectly legal can cause immeasurable harm, like; war, questionable bankers and industrialists, driving etc. etc.

I'm not certain if you're either being heinously moralistic and think all 'crime' is inherently wrong or if you're just being ignorant of what constitutes 'harm'.. pray tell me which one?
Original post by Napp
Depending on the circumstances, yes. Just like how things that are perfectly legal can cause immeasurable harm, like; war, questionable bankers and industrialists, driving etc. etc.

I'm not certain if you're either being heinously moralistic and think all 'crime' is inherently wrong or if you're just being ignorant of what constitutes 'harm'.. pray tell me which one?

Crime is wrong. All the above constitute harm to someone in some way, even if it’s just yourself.
And of course there are legal things that cause harm but they’re not being discussed

And none of this conversation has anything to do with the op
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Crime is wrong. All the above constitute harm to someone in some way, even if it’s just yourself.
And of course there are legal things that cause harm but they’re not being discussed

And none of this conversation has anything to do with the op

Would you kindly explain how a 'victimless crime' despite its very definition somehow harms other people?
Indeed, I was more pointing out an inherent flaw in your argument.
No, strangely enough, this is a tangent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending