The Student Room Group

was this sexual assault

basically was in the club last night with my female friend and we were dancing and next minute a guy came up behind started to grind up against me I told him to piss off as im not into that and then he put his hand up my shirt grabbed my bum and ran off my friend says it is sexual assault and is telling me to tell the police what do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should've punched him in the face
Original post by Loz Turner
basically was in the club last night with my female friend and we were dancing and next minute a guy came up behind started to grind up against me I told him to piss off as im not into that and then he put his hand up my shirt grabbed my bum and ran off my friend says it is sexual assault and is telling me to tell the police what do I do?

How did go up your shirt and grab your bum? Is your bum on your chest?

I don't think it is assault. Just my opinion.
Yes, I think it is sexual assault.
Yes it is.
Yup, that's sexual assault. If you inform the police, other girls will be less likely to get the same treatment from him.
Reply 6

He touched you really inappropriately without your consent, so I'd say it's sexual assault. If someone did that to me I'd feel violated and would go to the police about it, it's totally disgusting behaviour. It is up to you at the end of the day though - do whatever you feel is the right/best thing to do.
Yes, this is sexual assault. Inform the police, and that'll hopefully make them twink twice when they do it to someone else.

The only way society is going to move forward is if people report, report and report. If not, we're only going to create an environment where sexual assault continues to thrive.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, this is sexual assault. Inform the police, and that'll hopefully make them twink twice when they do it to someone else.

The only way society is going to move forward is if people report, report and report. If not, we're only going to create an environment where sexual assault continues to thrive.

I'd say any punishment received would be completely disproportionate though.

Having someone grab your bottom is very annoying, but has no lasting consequences. (It's happened to me, and I'm male. I wouldn't dream of going to the police about it.)

If someone is reported to the police for that, they'll be given a sentence, put on the sex offenders register, be unable to get a job. It would literally ruin their entire life.

That's simply not a proportionate outcome. (Obviously I would not be saying the same thing if the crime was more serious. In that case, a harsh punishment is justified.)
Reply 9
I'd say any punishment received would be completely disproportionate though.

Having someone grab your bottom is very annoying, but has no lasting consequences. (It's happened to me, and I'm male. I wouldn't dream of going to the police about it.)

If someone is reported to the police for that, they'll be given a sentence, put on the sex offenders register, be unable to get a job. It would literally ruin their entire life.

That's simply not a proportionate outcome. (Obviously I would not be saying the same thing if the crime was more serious. In that case, a harsh punishment is justified.)

I can see what you're saying, but the guy should've taken this into consideration before grabbing the person's bottom then, shouldn't he? The responsibility of this guy's life isn't down to who he grabbed, it is only the responsibility of the guy who did it in the first place.

Situations like this can have lasting consequences on a person - we all respond to things differently, it can impact one moreso than another. Simply because it's happened to you and you wouldn't go to the police about it etc, doesn't mean that this person shouldn't go to the police.

No one has the right to touch another person inappropriately like this without their consent, therefore I'd personally report it as I'd feel violated and wouldn't want the same thing done to anyone else.
boys will be boys
Original post by Sbbh
I can see what you're saying, but the guy should've taken this into consideration before grabbing the person's bottom then, shouldn't he? The responsibility of this guy's life isn't down to who he grabbed, it is only the responsibility of the guy who did it in the first place.

Situations like this can have lasting consequences on a person - we all respond to things differently, it can impact one moreso than another. Simply because it's happened to you and you wouldn't go to the police about it etc, doesn't mean that this person shouldn't go to the police.

No one has the right to touch another person inappropriately like this without their consent, therefore I'd personally report it as I'd feel violated and wouldn't want the same thing done to anyone else.

The guy was almost certainly completely wasted though.

Meh, I'd class this as being like a man going to the police for being "physically assaulted" after being slapped by a girl, for example. By which I mean, going to the police is a complete over-reaction, and it should instead be "laughed off".

But I can obviously see the other side of the argument, as the guy in the OP here has technically done something wrong.
Reply 12

Meh, I'd class this as being like a man going to the police for being "physically assaulted" after being slapped by a girl, for example. By which I mean, going to the police is a complete over-reaction, and it should instead be "laughed off".

But I can obviously see the other side of the argument, as the guy in the OP here has technically done something wrong.

I know people can do stupid things when they're wasted, but nevertheless I don't see it as an excuse - he still has the responsibility for himself and his actions (though of course people make mistakes).

I know what you mean, but again that takes it back to the fact that different situations impact us all differently. Going to the police wouldn't necessarily be an over-reaction in any case if the person has been made to feel unsafe/violated.

That said, if the OP hasn't been affected and just brushes it off then that's fine too, but the fact that OP felt the need to ask what to do gave a different impression. I would be concerned about whether the guy does this or similar in future though, so I'd feel the need to report it either way.

I can understand where you're coming from though - it comes down to the individual at the end of the day I suppose.
(edited 6 years ago)

Obviously.

Some drunk girls stick their hands down my boxers in the bar for **** sake when it's very unwelcome. Legit rape tier lol.

OP you probably should never go to these places ever again. This is the sort of thing you just slap the guy for. You're obviously not suited for these environments since like 100 drunk guys will try to grind on you every time you go out.

Unless by shirt you mean skirt, that's a bit dodgy loool. Would probably still just slap the guy hard though or get the bouncers/one of your guy friends to go sort him out.
(edited 6 years ago)

Can't believe you said this.

Sexual assault is wrong, whether drunk or not. Especially when someone is in a position of societal power or physical power.

If someone sexually assaulted your mother, daughter etc. would you "laugh it off"?

Victims (men and women) need to start reporting these "harmless" sexual assault incidents. Otherwise sexual predators are going to thrive and continue. This is the reason why sexual assault is so normalised and where the standard response is to simply laugh it off!
Original post by pappa bur
maybe u shouldnt have wore such a short skirt should wear jeans silly girl

It's people like you who are the reason for such disgust in this world, women shouldn't feel obliged to cover up their bodies, we can wear what we want

This question is so stupid it seems like a troll. Of course it was sexual assault.
Just so you you know, I think he was joking

Original post by JamieLouiseXox
It's people like you who are the reason for such disgust in this world, women shouldn't feel obliged to cover up their bodies, we can wear what we want
Can't believe you said this.

Sexual assault is wrong, whether drunk or not. Especially when someone is in a position of societal power or physical power.

If someone sexually assaulted your mother, daughter etc. would you "laugh it off"?

Victims (men and women) need to start reporting these "harmless" sexual assault incidents. Otherwise sexual predators are going to thrive and continue. This is the reason why sexual assault is so normalised and where the standard response is to simply laugh it off!

Touching someone's bottom in a night-out is, in my opinion, utterly trivial and I would not personally report it to the police (it has happened to me), and I would not advise anyone else to report it to the police.

Someone who drunkenly gropes someone in a club is unlikely to be a "sexual predator", and is more likely just to be a bit of a drunken idiot.

Just because something is "technically wrong" doesn't mean you have to report it to the highest possible authority. Some things should be dealt with with a verbal "telling off" rather than reporting them to the police.

Eg, an example from another sphere of life: if someone makes a mistake in work, usually someone would deal with this with an informal discussion, rather than instantly submitting an "incident form".

I feel my comments are common-sense, and I stand by them.
Reply 19
I would've knocked him out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending