The Student Room Group

Math personal statement

After about 15 drafts, I’ve finally decided to settle with the PS I have now. Although I still don’t feel it’s ‘enough’.

P1: Intro

P2: Studies

P3: STEP and what I gained from preparations

P4: Book “Beyond Infinity”

P5: Book “A mind for numbers”

P6: Volunteer work and part time job

P7: Conclusion

Does my PS include too much extra curricular? If so, what else could I write about?
Original post by Mightlobster
After about 15 drafts, I’ve finally decided to settle with the PS I have now. Although I still don’t feel it’s ‘enough’.

Does my PS include too much extra curricular? If so, what else could I write about?

personally I think that conclusions on a PS are a waste of characters so spend this characters talking about your fav maths topic or something along those lines
Original post by mohamedben0203
personally I think that conclusions on a PS are a waste of characters so spend this characters talking about your fav maths topic or something along those lines

I already have in the ‘studies’ paragraph.

Is adding outside interests a good idea? Didn’t think it would be on a Math Statement from the ones I’ve read
Two whole paragraphs on books seems a bit much imo.
Original post by omarathon
Two whole paragraphs on books seems a bit much imo.

Any substitutes?
Any substitutes?

I think it's fine for 7 paragraphs to have 2 for books. I mean I know a lot of people who did 4 paragraphs and 2 were basically around books so it's fine.
Any substitutes?

I don't think a substitution is necessary, just expand the other paragraphs so they seem cover everything that needs to be discussed in their areas. The variety of topics seems to cover everything provided you go into enough detail. Personally I'd put both books in one paragraph to save lines but I suppose you could separate them if lines aren't an issue for you.
I don't think you should separate paragraph 6 and 7. Most people I know did 4-5 paragraphs. 7 will seem ridiculous.

Don't stress ridiculous amounts for it either. You're posting this now so I'm assuming you're not applying to Oxbridge. Maths is known for giving out a lot of offers and not looking too in depth into the statement.
I already have in the ‘studies’ paragraph.

Is adding outside interests a good idea? Didn’t think it would be on a Math Statement from the ones I’ve read

if you managed to have fit in 7 paragraphs then i don't really think you have included enough detail. I applied for computer science with maths and could barely fit in 4 paragraphs.
It's going to be difficult to fit it in to 7 paragraphs with the line count. It's fine to combine the two books into one paragraph. You don't need a paragraph on your current studies. You do need a conclusion, however

That looks fine to me :smile: my PS was seven paragraphs and seems to have worked, so I wouldn't worry about that too much :wink: just make sure you've linked your thought processes together and explained what you thought was interesting about the books you've read in those two paragraphs :biggrin:
Original post by Interrobang
It's going to be difficult to fit it in to 7 paragraphs with the line count. It's fine to combine the two books into one paragraph. You don't need a paragraph on your current studies. You do need a conclusion, however

It was a lot more but I condensed all I could, it’s 47 lines exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending