The Student Room Group

what extra curriculars should I do?

I'm in Year 12 and I want to know how much extra curricular activities matter when applying for uni.

Things I have done:
Work experience: Admin at a community centre
Volunteered as a reading hack volunteer at my local library for the summer reading challenge.

Hobbies:
Swimming
I've taken violin/piano lessons, wouldn't say I'm very skilled though, but I have performed in school shows.

I'm planning on doing work experience at various law firms this year.

Courses I'm interested in:
PPE, International Relations and International Law.

I don't know what activities I should take part in to boost my P.S. My teacher suggested MUN but that's full.
How many extra curricular activities should I take up minimum?
Reply 1
Original post by Salx.x
I'm in Year 12 and I want to know how much extra curricular activities matter when applying for uni.

Things I have done:
Volunteered as a reading hack volunteer at my local library for the summer reading challenge.

Hobbies:
Swimming
I've taken violin/piano lessons, wouldn't say I'm very skilled though, but I have performed in school shows.

I don't know what activities I should take part in to boost my P.S. My teacher suggested MUN but that's full.

i think you’re doing plenty of extra curriculars but uni’s are more into super curricular rather than extra. this means that you should read books into the subjects that you’re interested in or watch a podcast etc so you express your interest when it comes to interviews/ucas application :smile:
Original post by leviaxx
i think you’re doing plenty of extra curriculars but uni’s are more into super curricular rather than extra. this means that you should read books into the subjects that you’re interested in or watch a podcast etc so you express your interest when it comes to interviews/ucas application :smile:

Oh thank you. I just want to make sure I'm not stuck for things to write on my PS.
Reply 3
Original post by Salx.x

Things I have done:

Hobbies:
Swimming

There isn't a set number of super-curriculars that an applicant should be doing.

I don't think your work experience at the community centre is very relevant to your course, so try not put much emphasis on it on your PS.

I'm not applying for law but here are some of my suggestions.

You could:
- Find law firms to do work experience
- Keep up with the news, and maybe mention an article you found interesting in your PS? (e.g. a controversial recent case)
- Have you done any wider reading? There are reading lists published by universities that you can have a look at :smile:
- Are there any debating or law societies in your school?
- Participate in essay writing competitions
- Maybe you could watch a debate or visit the house of parliament?
- Undertake an EPQ or some form of project focusing on international law.
- Any subject related podcasts or magazines?
- Masterclasses, lectures etc.
Original post by Baaah
There isn't a set number of super-curriculars that an applicant should be doing.

I don't think your work experience at the community centre is very relevant to your course, so try not put much emphasis on it on your PS.

I'm not applying for law but here are some of my suggestions.

You could:
- Find law firms to do work experience
- Keep up with the news, and maybe mention an article you found interesting in your PS? (e.g. a controversial recent case)
- Have you done any wider reading? There are reading lists published by universities that you can have a look at :smile:
- Are there any debating or law societies in your school?
- Participate in essay writing competitions
- Maybe you could watch a debate or visit the house of parliament?
- Undertake an EPQ or some form of project focusing on international law.
- Any subject related podcasts or magazines?
- Masterclasses, lectures etc.

Tyvm

Quick Reply

Latest