The Student Room Group

Do you think atheists are smarter than theists?

Many articles profess this to be true but what do you think? Also please mention whether you are religious or not.

Scroll to see replies

Not religious

There's probably a correlation.

So being an atheist may not make you smart but being smart may make you an atheist.

Though there are still tons of clever theists out there.
Reply 2
I don't think so in my case because i'm atheist and don't know what "theist" means :frown:
Original post by Froppy
I don't think so in my case because i'm atheist and don't know what "theist" means :frown:

That's just a person who believes in some form of a deity which causes them to be religious:redface:
No.:indiff:

Believing in a creator doesn't make someone less intelligent.

I attend the Church of Cupcakes and worship the Cupcake every Sunday how can any atheist argue against that!

An atheist sees a cupcake everyday this is physical proof of my deity right there in your local bakers!

And Atheist cannot deny the existence of the Cupcake deity!

Unlike any other religions god they can see my god.:haughty:

It fills you with tasty flavours and makes you happuy, how can I not worship the cupcake?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Not necessarily, but I certainly expect that to be the trend.
Reply 6
Atheist here, and anti-theist.
Atheists may not be smarter, but they are more rational.
I don't think so. I am an atheist and my reasons for being one are mostly due to religion never having a huge part in my life. I think it partly depends on why a person became an atheist as well. They might have been someone who pondered upon the question of religion and theology a lot longer than something else and concluded that religion is bad/futile in their opinion. It does not correlate with intelligence directly in my opinion but simply more upon how much has one person thought about religion. There are plenty of people who understand that a lot of shenanigans happening in a church, a temple or a mosque are not a true representation of what their holy books are trying to teach. I don't know about you, but I would never call a level headed person who takes the core principles of most religions regarding being a kind and thoughtful person as an idiot. Plenty of atheists in the world who have not really done extraordinary things in their lives (including me) and can be pretty stupid as well. There are atheists who actually wish to turn atheism into a cult as well and spit vitriol against religious people or belittle them. There are atheists who simply follow it as a trend because they probably liked how someone like Richard Dawkins or Stephen Fry mocked religion. Now those two gentlemen are highly intelligent people who are atheists. But everyone who is simply taking their word as the truth without critically examining it might be an atheist, but not necessarily intelligent. Intelligent people don't really do that.

Of course that does not mean that I personally don't criticize religion. But I try and look at its importance from a cultural perspective as well. I do not support the idea of branding Islam as a violent religion when looking at the real history of modern terrorism throws much light on how there is a geopolitical background to Islamic extremism as well. Psychology plays a huge role in all this. People are more vulnerable to manipulation when they are desperate. They feel like they all need to get together to overcome whatever problem their community is facing. And it is very easy for a highly aggressive "us against them" mentality to take hold in that moment. I do think that this aspect of human nature contributes to us doing bad, irrational things as well and religion is just one institution taking advantage of that.
(edited 6 years ago)
No.
According to statistics, atheists are smarter. Obviously that doesn't mean that all atheists are smarter than religious people, but there is a trend.

I'm atheist
Original post by Bio 7
Atheist here, and anti-theist.
Atheists may not be smarter, but they are more rational.

Rational? Like believing two rock collided and made a universe and everything WOW! Thats like saying two cars crashed and a baby fell out. So little possibility that that acc happened. That's why is is called a theory, not a fact!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Pretty sure statistics show that atheists are, on average, smarter than theists.
Original post by worship Cupcake
No.:indiff:

Believing in a creator doesn't make someone less intelligent.

I attend the Church of Cupcakes and worship the Cupcake every Sunday how can any atheist argue against that!

An atheist sees a cupcake everyday this is physical proof of my deity right there in your local bakers!

And Atheist cannot deny the existence of the Cupcake deity!

Unlike any other religions god they can see my god.:haughty:

It fills you with tasty flavours and makes you happuy, how can I not worship the cupcake?

The irony of this comment is that in your quest to provide a veneer of rationality to theism, you're actually making it seem even more self-evidently superficial than it already is.
no
Original post by Taz554:-)
Rational? Like believing two rock collided and made a universe and everything WOW! Thats like saying two cars crashed and a baby fell out. So little possibility that that acc happened. That's why is is called a theory, not a fact!!

Don’t know whether you’re trolling or just plain ignorant.

Which theory states that rocks colliding created the universe?!

The Big Bang theory is fact, in science “theory” is the highest possible form of proof, just like the theory of gravity and germ theory.

Also, what did your god create the universe from?
No not at all. Theists actually have a moral or something to live by whereas athiests don't. Albert Einstein- Jewish. al-Khwarizmi muslim the list is endless. Everybody has a mental capacity and knowledge and religion or what you believe does not mean anything. I am religious.
No
Original post by Lessen by Lesson
The irony of this comment is that in your quest to provide a veneer of rationality to theism, you're actually making it seem even more self-evidently superficial than it already is.

I wasn't on a "quest" to do anything you buffoon I am clearly trolling.

:facepalm:

In science, a theory is an explanation of a concept based on evidence soo it is fact
No not at all. Theists actually have a moral or something to live by whereas athiests don't. Albert Einstein- Jewish. al-Khwarizmi muslim the list is endless. Everybody has a mental capacity and knowledge and religion or what you believe does not mean anything. I am religious.

Einstein was Jewish but didn't follow the Jewish religion he was actually pantheist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending