The Student Room Group

Over ear headphones

What do you recommend for a young teenage boy who likes listening to House music. DnB and Rap
I want something sounding crisp with clear thuds of bass.

Scroll to see replies

Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Cost about £100

You will be telling yourself for ages these are the best thing you've ever bought. I have even seen a few guys 'on road' wearing these now.

There are other models and brands to look into but the M50x is a good place to start imo.

can recommend more once you post your budget.
Original post by Shabby33
Yo - Budget is around 100 quid. What headphones do you recommend me to get? Something with good bass

The Audio Technica ATH M50X mentioned above are the best option for that price. If you can stretch a little further then the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO 700 mk II have a more bass heavy signature.
(edited 6 years ago)
It really depends on your budget, and if you're looking to use them at home or on the go too. The Audio Technica M50x will be mentioned a lot (for good reason), they're probably exactly what you're looking for, and are built to last. (I listen to a lot of rap and prefer the ATH-MSR7) Also, worth looking into is Sennheiser and Sony (MDR-1A). If you can, I'd recommend going and testing some headphones out.
What the others have suggested are all very good options, especially the Audio Technica ones.

As a 'young teenage boy' I presume that means money might be an issue and so you may not even have £100 available to spend (which makes the other options not feasible). In which case, I'd recommend the Sony XB950AP.

Edit: My bad. Didn't realise you have around £100 to spend. M50X would be a good option for that price point.
Reply 5
Original post by forfoxsake
It really depends on your budget, and if you're looking to use them at home or on the go too. The Audio Technica M50x will be mentioned a lot (for good reason), they're probably exactly what you're looking for, and are built to last. (I listen to a lot of rap and prefer the ATH-MSR7) Also, worth looking into is Sennheiser and Sony (MDR-1A). If you can, I'd recommend going and testing some headphones out.

Original post by JaredzzC
What the others have suggested are all very good options, especially the Audio Technica ones.

As a 'young teenage boy' I presume that means money might be an issue and so you may not even have £100 available to spend (which makes the other options not feasible). In which case, I'd recommend the Sony XB950AP.

Edit: My bad. Didn't realise you have around £100 to spend. M50X would be a good option for that price point.

I was talking to my friends about this and i brought up Sony and Sennheiser and they seem like its a crap brand of headphones LOL. Why on earth is Dr Dre beats so overrated?
I was talking to my friends about this and i brought up Sony and Sennheiser and they seem like its a crap brand of headphones LOL. Why on earth is Dr Dre beats so overrated?

I think Dr Dre's Beats is more to do with the brand, rather than their products. They have done extreme amounts of promoting, marketing, and exposure in general so they seem to be the go to brand for the younger generation. For what it's worth, Beats really shouldn't even be considered. Their price to performance value is really bad, in my opinion. Their products are aesthetically pleasing and it does have somewhat of a premium feel, but the hardware it's self is nothing special, imo. I feel like a lot people buy it purely as a 'status' thing. As though owning a pair of Beats would make you superior or privileged in some way.

I can't really speak for Sennhesier for overear headphones as I've only ever had their in-ear momentum earphones...

For Sony though, if you're on a budget, they really do offer a lot. I personally have the XB950BT and I bought it brand new at £50 and I tell you now, the sound, especially the bass, is astonishing. For the price point that it's at, I honestly don't think you will be able to find things that come close. These headphones beat all my other previous headphones that I've spent £100+ on, although they weren't always the best options.

If you are wanting to decide between the Sony and MX50 (although they're at slightly different price points), then there is a nice review here: http://www.bassheadspeakers.com/best-bass-headphones/

#3 Sony MDR-XB950
#6 Audio Technia MX50
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't even think Beats are that good looking. Too plasticky and colourful. Look like toys tbh.

Much prefer the look of the M50x, which actually look like audio equipment.

These are sexy:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/images/715/1236/square/9857/square_list_zoom_hd_598_01_sq_sennheiser.png

These are sexy:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/6048026.jpg

Haha were they referring to any models in particular? There's quite a lot of range and variety within Sony and Sennheiser.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I don't even think Beats are that good looking. Too plasticky and colourful. Look like toys tbh.

These are sexy:

These are sexy:

They sound great too! But they are open back headphones, notice the 'holes'/grill, so they'll leak sound, and let sound in, which means they're not great for listening on the go.
Reply 10
They sound great too! But they are open back headphones, notice the 'holes'/grill, so they'll leak sound, and let sound in, which means they're not great for listening on the go.

I was actually looking to purchase the first one you send by Sennheiser LOL. i Heard that open back headphones have better sound that closed back.
I was actually looking to purchase the first one you send by Sennheiser LOL. i Heard that open back headphones have better sound that closed back.

Correct, you will typically get better sound quality from a pair of open back headphones than closed back at the same cost. However the nature of open back headphones mean they offer virtually zero isolation, making them poorly suited to portable use because you have to deal with all outside noise leaking in.
Oppo pm-3
Original post by NotNotBatman
Oppo pm-3

The OP's budget is only about £100.
In that case; creative aurvana live or if you can go over 100 a bit the audio technica ATH m50x.
Reply 15
Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphones - Black VS
Sennheiser HD 598SR Over-Ear Headphone with Smart Remote - Black
Reply 16
Haha were they referring to any models in particular? There's quite a lot of range and variety within Sony and Sennheiser.

Original post by Wilfred Little

These are sexy:

These are sexy:

Original post by JaredzzC
I think Dr Dre's Beats is more to do with the brand, rather than their products. They have done extreme amounts of promoting, marketing, and exposure in general so they seem to be the go to brand for the younger generation. For what it's worth, Beats really shouldn't even be considered. Their price to performance value is really bad, in my opinion. Their products are aesthetically pleasing and it does have somewhat of a premium feel, but the hardware it's self is nothing special, imo. I feel like a lot people buy it purely as a 'status' thing. As though owning a pair of Beats would make you superior or privileged in some way.

I can't really speak for Sennhesier for overear headphones as I've only ever had their in-ear momentum earphones...

For Sony though, if you're on a budget, they really do offer a lot. I personally have the XB950BT and I bought it brand new at £50 and I tell you now, the sound, especially the bass, is astonishing. For the price point that it's at, I honestly don't think you will be able to find things that come close. These headphones beat all my other previous headphones that I've spent £100+ on, although they weren't always the best options.

If you are wanting to decide between the Sony and MX50 (although they're at slightly different price points), then there is a nice review here: http://www.bassheadspeakers.com/best-bass-headphones/

#3 Sony MDR-XB950
#6 Audio Technia MX50

Which one?
Which one?

Two different sets tbh, if you haven't used open back headphones before then try some before pulling the trigger on the Sennheisers.

If it's a choice between those two then just pick whether you want open or closed back headphones.

I would go for the Audio Technicas.
Reply 18
I ordered the ATH M50X
I ordered the ATH M50X

M50s and not the M40s?

You will love them mate. They are fantastic.

:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest