The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I rang and cancelled his insurance today and I have new insurance with another company prior to his insurance being cancelled. Funny enough they don't want the black box back! They have admitted it was inaccuate on three occasions (in September) but still wouldn't keep his insurance as they can validate the black box that he breached the speed limit on two occasions. Taken my boy's hard earned money and stitched him right up. Shameful.
Original post by SAH2968
Actually if you read the other posts on here you will see I am " not being silly", she did not have plenty of warnings.
Have you had insurance with this company? If so would like to know your experience?
If not you cannot really comment then?

IVM Tom - have you had this experience? No - guessed not.
Reply 22
Original post by AngryMotorist
IVM Tom - have you had this experience? No - guessed not.

Why would I want telematics insurance? I'm not an idiot!
Original post by iwmtom
why would i want telematics insurance? I'm not an idiot!

non telematics insurance is unaffordable for most new drivers
Reply 24
Original post by Fighter365
non telematics insurance is unaffordable for most new drivers

Only if they don't do their homework. If you can afford to maintain and run a car, you can afford standard insurance.
Original post by IWMTom
Only if they don't do their homework. If you can afford to maintain and run a car, you can afford standard insurance.

Absolutely not true. I would love you to prove me wrong though
Reply 26
Absolutely not true. I would love you to prove me wrong though

Read my thread - simples!
Original post by IWMTom
Read my thread - simples!

I’ve read it and tried most of these ideas but trust me I am not getting quotes under 3-4K for without a black box
Reply 28
I’ve read it and tried most of these ideas but trust me I am not getting quotes under 3-4K for without a black box

You're looking to insure the wrong car, then.
Original post by IWMTom
You're looking to insure the wrong car, then.

I respect your posts and threads, but I feel like you jump to conclusions way too much. I have tried all sorts of cars of different ages of different engine sizes of different years of different amounts
I respect your posts and threads, but I feel like you jump to conclusions way too much. I have tried all sorts of cars of different ages of different engine sizes of different years of different amounts

Whilst I generally always agree with Tom; I have to follow through with Fighter on this one. I would almost be willing to challenge you with my post code under a pseudonym with the same info I use for quoting (so 1 month old license, no claims accidents named drivers etc) and you'll find pretty much every car is either 2.5k boxed or 3k (with 3k excess) without (or 3700+ unboxed). I genuinely think you would struggle. I wouldn't wish a box on my worst enemy; and I'm still trying in my cooling off period to get out of it (so far managed to get £1000 off, but I'd still be boxed). I have a brand new car so obviously I'm under warranty; there shouldn't be any parts related maintenance costs; obviously it'll need a clean/valet once every so often but nothing mechanically should go wrong (and I'm not paying for it if there is). There isn't £1500 in maintenance costs I could possibly think about that make the difference over whether I can afford to drive this car or not. If I'd bought a 2nd hand one on the other hand, sure.
Original post by nevershear
Whilst I generally always agree with Tom; I have to follow through with Fighter on this one. I would almost be willing to challenge you with my post code under a pseudonym with the same info I use for quoting (so 1 month old license, no claims accidents named drivers etc) and you'll find pretty much every car is either 2.5k boxed or 3k (with 3k excess) without (or 3700+ unboxed). I genuinely think you would struggle. I wouldn't wish a box on my worst enemy; and I'm still trying in my cooling off period to get out of it (so far managed to get £1000 off, but I'd still be boxed). I have a brand new car so obviously I'm under warranty; there shouldn't be any parts related maintenance costs; obviously it'll need a clean/valet once every so often but nothing mechanically should go wrong (and I'm not paying for it if there is). There isn't £1500 in maintenance costs I could possibly think about that make the difference over whether I can afford to drive this car or not. If I'd bought a 2nd hand one on the other hand, sure.

How have you managed to get £1000 off and who with if you don’t mind me asking
How have you managed to get £1000 off and who with if you don’t mind me asking

Ingenie wanted £3500. A few days after I got my insurance, my reg started working on comparison sites; Co-Op came up with £3100, after phoning them, they remarked it was a little high and said they can do it for £2670. Obviously I jumped on that immediately; I've offered Ingenie the opportunity to drop to £2600 else I'll be exercising my right to cancel. I originally wanted Co-Op anyway as they'd quoted me around that same price, but then dropped out after being unable to generate the rates after using my reg number. With my reg now being on the systems, their offer is now firmly on the table and whereas unlike coop, Ingenie do quarterly reviews where they can raise your premium for whatever they so choose; I'd be an idiot not to swap anymore. I'm an idiot enough for trying to drive.

I took it at £3500 because I'm partially stupid but also because I needed to drive immediately. My black box installation I've booked at the latest possible time (9 days from now), so as long as I pull out by Thursday next week - I'll get hit with £10 cancellation fee + pro rata cover; but I won't be forking out that ridiculous £300 charge for them disconnecting the box.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello! I am not proud to admit this, but I have on more than one occasion gone over the speed limit by 10, 20 and even 30 mph before. I received a warning email AND text message from them saying that if I don't stop they will cancel my insurance as the policy documents state.I am no longer with them, but when I was with them I did not have any problems on their part. I've also found them to be very helpful on the phone and even on email. I can't see why a majority of their customers are making a fuss. My score was at -1.3 at one point but it was quite easy to bring back up. One day of careful driving fixed that for me.
Original post by notauser
Hello! I am not proud to admit this, but I have on more than one occasion gone over the speed limit by 10, 20 and even 30 mph before. I received a warning email AND text message from them saying that if I don't stop they will cancel my insurance as the policy documents state.I am no longer with them, but when I was with them I did not have any problems on their part. I've also found them to be very helpful on the phone and even on email. I can't see why a majority of their customers are making a fuss. My score was at -1.3 at one point but it was quite easy to bring back up. One day of careful driving fixed that for me.

I get the people that do 80 or 90 on the motorway. But if you're one of those mugs doing 70 in a 40 please stop it, even without a box. You're extremely fortunate they didn't just cancel your policy outright.
My partners daughter took out insurance with them on 7th Dec 2017. She was given a date for a box to b fitted on 22nd. As she knew she would b at college all of that day, she asked for it to b after 4pm. She then had a phone call just befor lunch to say they would b calling to fit the box in an hrs time. She rang the fitters and explained she was at college and couldn’t physically get home in time and reiterated the previous 4pm request. She also rang the insurance company to sort it out. Their response was, because it’s Christmas and new yr, they couldn’t arrange another date before the new yr. And, as this breached the timescale of fitting a box, they were cancelling her insurance as of the 6 th jan 2018 And charging her £150 in fees for this!! We have tried and tried reasoning with them over this issue, to no avail. She paid over £700 deposit, but they have stated she won’t get the rest reimbursed until 10 days after the 6th jan, which is discusting. She needs this money to get another insurance sorted. This insurance company do not care!! Wonder how many people are being scammed out of this £150 before having their insurance cancelled for no good reason!! It seems so unfair that they can treat her in this way, because they cannot sort out another fitting appt because it’s Christmas!!! Appalling treatment.
More than are terrible. I HAD to work at 11pm on a Saturday night and I tried to tell them this and not to penalise me because it isn’t my fault but they were unhelpful and refused to change my score so now I’ve been penalised for something I couldn’t do anything about. Will be cancelling as soon as I can
Reply 37
Original post by Spethick
My partners daughter took out insurance with them on 7th Dec 2017. She was given a date for a box to b fitted on 22nd. As she knew she would b at college all of that day, she asked for it to b after 4pm. She then had a phone call just befor lunch to say they would b calling to fit the box in an hrs time. She rang the fitters and explained she was at college and couldn’t physically get home in time and reiterated the previous 4pm request. She also rang the insurance company to sort it out. Their response was, because it’s Christmas and new yr, they couldn’t arrange another date before the new yr. And, as this breached the timescale of fitting a box, they were cancelling her insurance as of the 6 th jan 2018 And charging her £150 in fees for this!! We have tried and tried reasoning with them over this issue, to no avail. She paid over £700 deposit, but they have stated she won’t get the rest reimbursed until 10 days after the 6th jan, which is discusting. She needs this money to get another insurance sorted. This insurance company do not care!! Wonder how many people are being scammed out of this £150 before having their insurance cancelled for no good reason!! It seems so unfair that they can treat her in this way, because they cannot sort out another fitting appt because it’s Christmas!!! Appalling treatment.

It's worth noting that she now has a record for cancelled insurance, so when answering the question "have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled or voided by an insurer", she must declare yes.

In the insurer's defense, the reason they've given you a low premium is because you agree to have a box fitted - they give leniency in that they start the policy before the fitting date, which means you're permitted to drive without the box; as this is a significantly higher risk, they give you a deadline to fit the box. The fees cover the cost of cancellation, and the fitters wasted time, as well as the risk the insurer has taken.

I wouldn't bother trying to claw back the fees, as it'll have been quite clear in the terms and conditions that your daughter agreed to; it is a legally binding contract, after all. The problem your daughter now has is the cancellation on her record - you need to get this removed, initially by asking very very nicely. If the insurer refuses, get a deadlock letter and take it to FOS and see if they can make the insurer budge. Cite the impact a cancellation would have on her future premiums for life.

In future, make sure your daughter is available for the whole day whenever she makes appointments for things like this, as timescales can and do vary.

Original post by JoshNilsson
More than are terrible. I HAD to work at 11pm on a Saturday night and I tried to tell them this and not to penalise me because it isn’t my fault but they were unhelpful and refused to change my score so now I’ve been penalised for something I couldn’t do anything about. Will be cancelling as soon as I can

Unfortunately, you knew the score when you took out the policy. If you didn't want to be held to a curfew, you shouldn't have taken out a policy that restricted the times you can drive.
Reply 38
Steer clear of Smart Wheels if you can. A lot of the streets in our area have speed bumps and one street has recently had them fitted every 20 yards. Because we drove down that street my son had -10 for smoothness. Yet another crazy infringement!
Reply 39
Original post by nutz99
Steer clear of Smart Wheels if you can. A lot of the streets in our area have speed bumps and one street has recently had them fitted every 20 yards. Because we drove down that street my son had -10 for smoothness. Yet another crazy infringement!

Rather than slowing down for each bump and speeding back up, keep a constant speed (say, 20mph) and you'll notice your "smoothness" score not be as poor. From what I understand, "smoothness" relates to braking and accelerating, not how bumpy a road is.

Latest

Trending

Trending