The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
Rather than slowing down for each bump and speeding back up, keep a constant speed (say, 20mph) and you'll notice your "smoothness" score not be as poor. From what I understand, "smoothness" relates to braking and accelerating, not how bumpy a road is.

Smoothness is affected by speed bumps , but if u slow right down to go over the speed bumps then ur score shouldn’t be affected, my daughter went over a pot hole and that affected her smoothness score. Nothing she could do as she didn’t see the pot hole.
Reply 41
Original post by Sarebear79
Smoothness is affected by speed bumps , but if u slow right down to go over the speed bumps then ur score shouldn’t be affected, my daughter went over a pot hole and that affected her smoothness score. Nothing she could do as she didn’t see the pot hole.

Only if you don't drive through a section of speed bumps correctly. As I've already said, "smoothness" is a measure of acceleration and braking, as well as cornering. It is not affected by how bumpy a road is.
Reply 42
Original post by IWMTom
Rather than slowing down for each bump and speeding back up, keep a constant speed (say, 20mph) and you'll notice your "smoothness" score not be as poor. From what I understand, "smoothness" relates to braking and accelerating, not how bumpy a road is.
Unfortunately not that type of speed bump. These are quite raised so go over them at 20mph and you're very likely to damage your suspension. Had no choice other than to slow right down.

The ones that are generally longer and less raised we have just around the corner and yes you can go over them at 20mph without any problem but there are lots of different types of speed bumps.
Reply 43
Original post by nutz99
Unfortunately not that type of speed bump. These are quite raised so go over them at 20mph and you're very likely to damage your suspension. Had no choice other than to slow right down.

The ones that are generally longer and less raised we have just around the corner and yes you can go over them at 20mph without any problem but there are lots of different types of speed bumps.

Okay.. so slow down to the appropriate speed and maintain it, the speed is irrelevant, only that you maintain whatever speed rather than slowing and accelerating each time.

Not only is this what the insurance company wants, it's much more fuel efficient, and economical for the environment.

Out of curiosity, can you show me the type of speed bump you're referring to, as those placed in 30mph zones should be safe to drive over at 20mph. Unless this is a car park with 5mph limits, I see no reason why 20mph isnt the appropriate speed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by IWMTom
Okay.. so slow down to the appropriate speed and maintain it, the speed is irrelevant, only that you maintain whatever speed rather than slowing and accelerating each time.

Not only is this what the insurance company wants, it's much more fuel efficient, and economical for the environment.

Out of curiosity, can you show me the type of speed bump you're referring to, as those placed in 30mph zones should be safe to drive over at 20mph. Unless this is a car park with 5mph limits, I see no reason why 20mph isnt the appropriate speed.
Now you're just talking rubbish to save face. Speed is not irrelevant as you have to keep up with traffic. If you go over a bump at 5mph then if you continue to drive at 5 mph you could be charged for careless driving. Driving at that low a speed is definitely not more efficient or environmentally friendly.

A lot of the residential roads locally have had the speed limits dropped to 20mph and as previously pointed out the type of bump on these roads means you have to go over them very slowly. They cover the whole width of the road and are similar to this:

Speed_Bump_Bacalar.jpg
Original post by IWMTom
It's worth noting that she now has a record for cancelled insurance, so when answering the question "have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled or voided by an insurer", she must declare yes.

In the insurer's defense, the reason they've given you a low premium is because you agree to have a box fitted - they give leniency in that they start the policy before the fitting date, which means you're permitted to drive without the box; as this is a significantly higher risk, they give you a deadline to fit the box. The fees cover the cost of cancellation, and the fitters wasted time, as well as the risk the insurer has taken.

I wouldn't bother trying to claw back the fees, as it'll have been quite clear in the terms and conditions that your daughter agreed to; it is a legally binding contract, after all. The problem your daughter now has is the cancellation on her record - you need to get this removed, initially by asking very very nicely. If the insurer refuses, get a deadlock letter and take it to FOS and see if they can make the insurer budge. Cite the impact a cancellation would have on her future premiums for life.

In future, make sure your daughter is available for the whole day whenever she makes appointments for things like this, as timescales can and do vary.

Unfortunately, you knew the score when you took out the policy. If you didn't want to be held to a curfew, you shouldn't have taken out a policy that restricted the times you can drive.

Aye, I have that 11-6 nonsense too but I get nights like once every 2-3 months anyway and it's not really a curfew, it just screws with your average. I'm not a massive fan of driving late at night anyway in holiday season, I get the impression everyone is out to kill me.

I booked my box for as late as I possibly could, it's playing with fire, but I did take the entire day off work to deal with it.
Reply 46
Original post by nutz99
Now you're just talking rubbish to save face. Speed is not irrelevant as you have to keep up with traffic. If you go over a bump at 5mph then if you continue to drive at 5 mph you could be charged for careless driving. Driving at that low a speed is definitely not more efficient or environmentally friendly.

A lot of the residential roads locally have had the speed limits dropped to 20mph and as previously pointed out the type of bump on these roads means you have to go over them very slowly. They cover the whole width of the road and are similar to this:

Speed_Bump_Bacalar.jpg

This must be a private road, and therefore is not bound by the rules councils adhere to, in which case, you do have an issue.

With the greatest of respect, in the vast majority of cases regarding speed bumps on the roads, posters are describing speed cushions on public roads, not these awful 5mph bumps on private roads.

You did make it seem like this was a public road.
Reply 47
Original post by IWMTom
This must be a private road, and therefore is not bound by the rules councils adhere to, in which case, you do have an issue.

With the greatest of respect, in the vast majority of cases regarding speed bumps on the roads, posters are describing speed cushions on public roads, not these awful 5mph bumps on private roads.

You did make it seem like this was a public road.
Those are the ones that our council have deemed fit to install on public roads. Go over them too fast and you can do some serious damage to your car.

Again I will reiterate that you are penalised for driving over these. Penalised for driving after 23:00 and penalised for journeys of over an hour. I wouldn't recommend Smart Wheels to anyone.
Reply 48
Original post by nutz99
Those are the ones that our council have deemed fit to install on public roads. Go over them too fast and you can do some serious damage to your car.

Again I will reiterate that you are penalised for driving over these. Penalised for driving after 23:00 and penalised for journeys of over an hour. I wouldn't recommend Smart Wheels to anyone.

A council shouldn't have put these down, if they are the same as you've shown.

Again though, you don't get penalised for driving over speed bumps, only the way you drive over them. There isn't a sensor that detects road bumpyness.
Nuts out of curiosity what happened when you showed morethan a picture of these bumps and asked them what to do?
I’m insured with More Than and they haven’t been too bad, apart from 3 fuses being blown from fitting the box (cigarette lighter, AUX and lights), and being 9 days behind on their emails so they threatened to cancel my insurance 8 days after I sent proof of passing my test and all other documentation, 3 phonecalls and 4 members of staff later it was sorted. Very often my car is apparently in Iceland, in the Atlantic Ocean or it’s just floating around the roads around my village, it can get from one end to the other in a second😂 and recently it doesn’t seem to pick up half my journeys. These things might have something to do with having little to no gps signal in my area, but it’s not affected any of my scores so I’ll leave it be. Personally it seems very lenient on the speeding scores but I get marked down heavily for usage due to the 18 mile journey to and from work at 5:30 and 18:30. Many other insurers with cheaper quotes when I first passed but companies I had never heard of and couldn’t find reviews for, so decided to give those a miss. From personal research, I don’t think you’ll ever find an insurer with all good reviews, but all telematics seem to be all over the place, all boxes register things differently so it all seems to be a load of rubbish really (followed a friend who also has a black box with More Than and I braked when they did, kept to the same speed as them +/- 1 or 2 mph, I had +10 for my smoothnessand +8 usage and they had -3 for smoothness and +3.8 for usage). However, most young people struggle to afford car insurance without having the black box fitted and it’s the only way forward.
Reply 51
Original post by Elliee_Rose
These things might have something to do with having little to no gps signal in my area

Where do you live? The moon? :confused:
Reply 52
I'm with Smart Wheels and have had 0 problems so far. I've been with them for 6 months.

People moaning about the "ratings" the black box gives you are stupid. They literally mean nothing and don't affect how much you pay/your policy, unless you're going at a ridiculous speed.

I regularly drive at gone midnight and I still maintain a score of 7/8 out of 10.

****** edit: also I am seriously awful at driving so that's why I don't think the telematics box is that strict at all
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by liv1426
I'm with Smart Wheels and have had 0 problems so far. I've been with them for 6 months.

People moaning about the "ratings" the black box gives you are stupid. They literally mean nothing and don't affect how much you pay/your policy, unless you're going at a ridiculous speed.

I regularly drive at gone midnight and I still maintain a score of 7/8 out of 10.

****** edit: also I am seriously awful at driving so that's why I don't think the telematics box is that strict at all

The penny will drop when you hit renewal :wink:
Original post by liv1426

Differs from policy to policy, other policies (ie co-op, ingenie) will raise your premium if you continuously have crap scores.

But the idea is you survive for a year, take your 1 year NCD and get a similar priced policy out with someone else, less a black box. Then the games begin.
Original post by IWMTom
Where do you live? The moon? :confused:

That would be nice, but no, just a small village. I said it might be because of that. Only get that impression as when it comes to setting up a satnav, it can’t find any gps satellites until we are 3 miles away from the village. It’s the only explanation that we can think of, unless More Than satellites are completely ****ed and have mixed my car up with one that is sat at the bottom of the Atlantic😂😂
Reply 56
Original post by Elliee_Rose
That would be nice, but no, just a small village. I said it might be because of that. Only get that impression as when it comes to setting up a satnav, it can’t find any gps satellites until we are 3 miles away from the village. It’s the only explanation that we can think of, unless More Than satellites are completely ****ed and have mixed my car up with one that is sat at the bottom of the Atlantic😂😂

That's not how GPS works - infact, you'll have a stronger signal out in the sticks than in a major city! Depending on how poor your GPS chip is, and the placement of your antenna, a few minutes to get a decent lock isn't absurd; it's quite usual, actually.

More Than don't have their own satellites, again, this isn't how GPS works.
Original post by IWMTom
Only if you don't drive through a section of speed bumps correctly. As I've already said, "smoothness" is a measure of acceleration and braking, as well as cornering. It is not affected by how bumpy a road is.

Here we go , these are taken from and insurance website who deal with black boxes , it clearly states that smoothness is acceleration, braking, cornering and also up and down movement . So yes potholes and speed bumps can affect your smoothness score
Reply 58
Original post by Sarebear79
Here we go , these are taken from and insurance website who deal with black boxes , it clearly states that smoothness is acceleration, braking, cornering and also up and down movement . So yes potholes and speed bumps can affect your smoothness score

Given this is a thread pertaining to More Than, perhaps their advice would be more in line with the debate at hand: https://www.morethan.com/customer-help/car-insurance/more-thn-smrt-wheels/how-does-black-box-measure-my-driving-style/

"We assess your acceleration, braking or deceleration, and cornering."

Potholes and speed bumps simply do not affect your scores providing you navigate them correctly - period.
Original post by IWMTom
Given this is a thread pertaining to More Than, perhaps their advice would be more in line with the debate at hand: https://www.morethan.com/customer-help/car-insurance/more-thn-smrt-wheels/how-does-black-box-measure-my-driving-style/

"We assess your acceleration, braking or deceleration, and cornering."

Potholes and speed bumps simply do not affect your scores providing you navigate them correctly - period.

Navigating speed bumps yes but potholes that is not always as easy as u put it , how do u navigate a pot hole, swerve to avoid it and maybe cause an accident , and keeping ur eye on the road for said potholes is also a bit dangerous aswell and my daughter is insured by more than smart wheels and they have said when I have phoned to ask them the exact same thing that pot holes will affect ur smoothness score !
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending