The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

AMA (Ask me anything) Previous Newcastle University student

I studied Agriculture at Newcastle and recently graduated in 2017, when I was applying there were any barely Newcastle (NCL) students on here to answer questions, so I thought I'd end the annoying trend.

So get to asking !
Original post by diggy
I studied Agriculture at Newcastle and recently graduated in 2017, when I was applying there were any barely Newcastle (NCL) students on here to answer questions, so I thought I'd end the annoying trend.

So get to asking !

How much did you do in experience career-wise (placements, awards etc.) and do you think it prepared you well?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kiritsugu
How much did you do in experience career-wise (placements, awards etc.) and do you think it prepared you well?

Well speaking for my course, the lecturers regularly sent us job adverts and work placements which were exclusive to our university, so we were guaranteed interviews, which is EXTREMELY helpful.

In fact my lecturers still send us job adverts, even though we've graduated. they really care tbh

Furthermore our assignments were based around real world tasks, for example since I studied agriculture, we practised formulating in-depth business plans. Studying in this way gave me interesting things to talk about in interviews and gave me a feel for what our potential jobs could entail

For awards, the uni was great, I got a £3000.00 scholarship. I didn't apply directly, I met the requirements so the university automatically put me forward. So check what scholarships your eligible for and if you don't see any the uni will contact you if you're eligible for any
Reply 3
Original post by diggy
Well speaking for my course, the lecturers regularly sent us job adverts and work placements which were exclusive to our university, so we were guaranteed interviews, which is EXTREMELY helpful.

In fact my lecturers still send us job adverts, even though we've graduated. they really care tbh

Furthermore our assignments were based around real world tasks, for example since I studied agriculture, we practised formulating in-depth business plans. Studying in this way gave me interesting things to talk about in interviews and gave me a feel for what our potential jobs could entail

For awards, the uni was great, I got a £3000.00 scholarship. I didn't apply directly, I met the requirements so the university automatically put me forward. So check what scholarships your eligible for and if you don't see any the uni will contact you if you're eligible for any

Any specific advice related to Newcastle uni?
Are there really that many private/bording school students that attend Newcastle uni?
Original post by diggy

So get to asking !

1. Best places to eat?

2. Best places to chill with friends e.g. to play games?

3. Did you have accommodation, what was it, was it good, what did you do for 2nd year?

4. Did you do part-time work? What did you do and how was it?

5. Did you do sports? If so, what, and was it fun?

6. What societies did you go to, would you go to a different society(s) if you started uni again?

7. If you could do only 3 things differently if you started uni again, what would they be?

8. What would be your single greatest piece of advice for someone studying there at the moment?
1. Best places to eat?

3. Did you have accommodation, what was it, was it good, what did you do for 2nd year?

6. What societies did you go to, would you go to a different society(s) if you started uni again?

7. If you could do only 3 things differently if you started uni again, what would they be?

8. What would be your single greatest piece of advice for someone studying there at the moment?

Hey Kiritsugu,

Our blog On Course to NCL is a great place to find out about the city and University from a student perspective 😊

https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/category/student-blogs/newcastle/

Best wishes,

Susie
Reply 6
1. Best places to eat?

The Into International students centre is a great place to chill on campus, as is the main campus building.

There is also the men's bar which also contains a bank, printing shop and some places to eat (dominoes, subway etc).

Opposite the men's bar there is also a chilling area/study area which also contains a place to eat, multiple computers and comfy sofas and chairs (its open 24hrs too!).

The city is full of great restaurants, cafes, bars and more so I could go on forever really

I stayed at Windsor terrace during first year, this is a university halls of which there are many to choose . It's an en-suite bedroom with 3 girls and 3 boys sharing the flat. I liked it a lot, a cleaner also comes once a week to tidy the living room in the flat but you're responsible for keeping you room clean.

I was good friends with my flat mates from 1st year, so we got a house in Jesmond for second year. Jesmond is a very popular area for Newcastle uni students and is full of student accommodation.

I received enough money so i didn't have to.

My friends that did work part time, found work through the university. This would involve staffing the university shops, eateries etc. They said the jobs were okay and they never complained about money so they must have been good jobs.

I did Boxing (best society!) I loved it during 1st and 2nd years, sadly the members who made it exciting graduated and it was never the same once they left. There are loads of sports societies that are good fun, it's just that I didn't care to join another one after I left the Boxing society

I joined the boxing society, the agricultural society (for agric students, every subject has their own personal society) and Enactus, which was like a charity fundraising society.

Honestly, I wouldn't have asked out my flatmate and spent most of the time feeling down because she rejected me.

I would have joined Tinder sooner too :wink:

But seriously

1. I would have applied to graduate jobs during university, just to get a feel for the whole job hunting experience.
2. I would have learnt how to prepare for exam season sooner, I only learnt how to do this in 3rd year.
3. I would have gone home more, whenever I felt sad going home to London made me feel much better

Don't go to flares, it's a **** nightclub.

Seriously I'd say talk to everybody, I met loads of interesting people from all over the world there and I'm proud to call them my friends to this day :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by scpfcib
Any specific advice related to Newcastle uni?
Are there really that many private/bording school students that attend Newcastle uni?

Yes it's full of private school/boarding school students. They are all very friendly however, they never flashed the cash or spoke down to people, the only thing they all had in common were very posh accents lol

Well in terms of specific advice, I'd say utilise your lecturers for careers advice as they have lots of industry connections, which of course are useful for getting jobs.
Reply 8
By the way future people, I won't always answer your questions quickly, but I do check this thread in my free time, so keep asking :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by diggy
Yes it's full of private school/boarding school students. They are all very friendly however, they never flashed the cash or spoke down to people, the only thing they all had in common were very posh accents lol

Well in terms of specific advice, I'd say utilise your lecturers for careers advice as they have lots of industry connections, which of course are useful for getting jobs.

If youve visited any other uni, would you say Newcastle has more than any other Russell group uni? and do they tend to all locate at Castle Leaze?
Reply 10
Original post by scpfcib
If youve visited any other uni, would you say Newcastle has more than any other Russell group uni? and do they tend to all locate at Castle Leaze?

I wouldn't say they all grouped together, they were spread out through out the university not just castle leaze's (who told you that ?)

Compared to other university's I'd say yes, but it isn't really an issue I enjoyed seeing how the well to do live and tbh it isn't that much different to an upper middle class lifestyle
Original post by diggy
I wouldn't say they all grouped together, they were spread out through out the university not just castle leaze's (who told you that ?)

Compared to other university's I'd say yes, but it isn't really an issue I enjoyed seeing how the well to do live and tbh it isn't that much different to an upper middle class lifestyle

From what ive heard from TSR and people that I know that went to Newcastle- that isnt really a key concern in terms of uni though.

How much did you spend per week on food?
Reply 12
Original post by scpfcib
From what ive heard from TSR and people that I know that went to Newcastle- that isnt really a key concern in terms of uni though.

How much did you spend per week on food?

Well just for food including lunch I'd say, £100.00 a month.

I also cooked a lot of my dinners and rarely dined out, I'd only buy lunch everyday from a cheap place in the town centre called Eat4less
Original post by diggy
Well just for food including lunch I'd say, £100.00 a month.

I also cooked a lot of my dinners and rarely dined out, I'd only buy lunch everyday from a cheap place in the town centre called Eat4less

Thats exactly what I will end up doing :biggrin: i will refrain myself from asking about nightlife, so thank you very much!
Reply 14
Original post by scpfcib
Thats exactly what I will end up doing :biggrin: i will refrain myself from asking about nightlife, so thank you very much!

haha ask if you want, or you could find out yourself if you go to Newcastle, but overall it's great!
Original post by diggy

So get to asking !

Hi,

In terms of interview, what sort of questions did they ask you? Did they ask you any technical questions where you had to do some calculations? Can you please give me some advices? :-)

Many thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by gaab123
Hi,

In terms of interview, what sort of questions did they ask you? Did they ask you any technical questions where you had to do some calculations? Can you please give me some advices? :-)

Many thanks

The course I studied didn't require an interview, not all courses require prospective students to attend interviews.

What course did you apply for?
Original post by diggy
The course I studied didn't require an interview, not all courses require prospective students to attend interviews.

What course did you apply for?

I applied for engineering
Reply 18
Original post by gaab123
I applied for engineering

Well they might require an interview, but none of my other friends studying engineering required an interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending