The Student Room Group

Would A-Level Economics be a good subject with Bio, Chem, and Psychology?

I know I want to do Biology as an A-Level and am alright with doing Chemistry, but I'm also interested in Psychology and Economics. Would this be a good combination?

Is it necessary to be good at maths for the subject as well?

Also, can you recommend any degrees that it may lead to or any other combinations that would be good?
Reply 1
My best advice is not to overthink combinations, universities aren’t massively hot on it. I think they sound like a good mix of subjects that can show off a wide range of skills. I mean with those A-levels there’s a world of degrees open to you, probably not any sort of medicine or very complex science degree because they normally prefer or require a 3rd of either science or maths on top of the 2 sciences you’re already doing. Obviously if it was only a preference then you won’t necessarily be discounted but it wouldn’t necessarily help any application!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ruthflame57
My best advice is not to overthink combinations, universities aren’t massively hot on it. I think they sound like a good mix of subjects that can show off a wide range of skills. I mean with those A-levels there’s a world of degrees open to you, probably not any sort of medicine or very complex science degree because they normally require a 3rd of either science or maths on top of the 2 sciences you’re already doing.

Bio and Chem is fine for almost every med course, except for Cambridge where they like physics/maths as well.

also what's a "complex" science degree lol
Reply 3
Original post by Mikasadoge
Bio and Chem is fine for almost every med course, except for Cambridge where they like physics/maths as well.

Don’t get your back up. I’m going by what I know about science and what I’ve seen. For example, a food and nutrition degree is a BSc but you only need one science compared to your standard biochemistry degree for example. My offer from Oxford is for Law so I know far more about wanting to go into the humanities and like I said your A-levels are fine for anything like that.
Don’t get your back up. I’m going by what I know about science and what I’ve seen. For example, a food and nutrition degree is a BSc but you only need one science compared to your standard biochemistry degree for example. My offer from Oxford is for Law so I know far more about wanting to go into the humanities and like I said your A-levels are fine for anything like that.

OP can do a Biochem degree with Biology and Chemistry A levels. wtf lol
good thing your offer from Oxford isn't for a science.
Reply 5
OP can do a Biochem degree with Biology and Chemistry A levels. wtf lol
good thing your offer from Oxford isn't for a science.

I never said you couldn’t. I said for a BSc in food and nutrition, which is a science degree, you need only 1 science A-level. I was comparing needing 1 science, to needing 2 sciences. Please read a post before you try to come with a sarcastic reply. You asked for opinions and I’m trying to be as helpful as possible considering I’ve gone through the whole UCAS process.
(edited 6 years ago)
I never said you couldn’t. I said for a BSc in food and nutrition, which is a science degree, you need only 1 science A-level. I was comparing needing 1 science, to needing 2 sciences. Please read a post before you try to come with a sarcastic reply. You asked for opinions and I’m trying to be as helpful as possible considering I’ve gone through the whole UCAS process.

You said OP couldn't do a "complex" science degree, then said Biochem is a "complex" science degree, but OP can do it. Your words not mine. I've also been through the whole UCAS progress, well done you've joined the ranks of paying 24 quid and pressing apply.

You're not helping, you're just misinforming someone.

probably a troll..I fear if Oxford has given you an offer lmao
Reply 7
You said OP couldn't do a "complex" science degree, then said Biochem is a "complex" science degree, but OP can do it. Your words not mine. I've also been through the whole UCAS progress, well done you've joined the ranks of paying 24 quid and pressing apply.

You're not helping, you're just misinforming someone.

probably a troll..I fear if Oxford has given you an offer lmao

Im not a troll, you’re incredibly rude. As someone from a state school who was over the moon at receiving the offer that I did I am disgusted at your lack of respect for someone’s hard work. If you wanted to enquire about how legitimate my claim is then I’m sure there’s someone you could phone.
Im not a troll, you’re incredibly rude. As someone from a state school who was over the moon at receiving the offer that I did I am disgusted at your lack of respect for someone’s hard work. If you wanted to enquire about how legitimate my claim is then I’m sure there’s someone you could phone.

I'm from a state school, I really couldn't care less if you have an offer from Oxford or not. Just don't spread wrong information. I don't see why you're trying to play the victim card lol I'm from an area with Polar 1 scores all across the board, not gonna work on me soz
Reply 9
I'm from a state school, I really couldn't care less if you have an offer from Oxford or not. Just don't spread wrong information. I don't see why you're trying to play the victim card lol I'm from an area with Polar 1 scores all across the board, not gonna work on me soz

Oh no, poor you. There’s no victim card here. I’m jus a person who generally tries their best to celebrate the accomplishments of others. Maybe re-read the whole thread and really get a deep understanding of what I’ve said. OP can do their own research too, i was giving little snippets that I’d picked up along the way to maybe save them a bit of time. I never once said they couldn’t do a more ‘complex’ science degree, I explained it might be difficult because of general preferences towards 3 sciences, not required at most places but still it can hinder an application.
Oh no, poor you. There’s no victim card here. I’m jus a person who generally tries their best to celebrate the accomplishments of others. Maybe re-read the whole thread and really get a deep understanding of what I’ve said. OP can do their own research too, i was giving little snippets that I’d picked up along the way to maybe save them a bit of time. I never once said they couldn’t do a more ‘complex’ science degree, I explained it might be difficult because of general preferences towards 3 sciences, not required at most places but still it can hinder an application.

do research instead of giving your "snippets" of wrong information to other people. And yes, OP should do research for themselves.

My best advice is not to overthink combinations, universities aren’t massively hot on it. I think they sound like a good mix of subjects that can show off a wide range of skills. I mean with those A-levels there’s a world of degrees open to you, probably not any sort of medicine or very complex science degree because they normally prefer or require a 3rd of either science or maths on top of the 2 sciences you’re already doing. Obviously if it was only a preference then you won’t necessarily be discounted but it wouldn’t necessarily help any application!

this is really explaining it might be difficult to do certain "complex" science courses because 3 sciences/maths is favoured lol. Also, by your definition Food and Nutrition and Medicine are in the same ranks. A lot of med courses only require Chemistry A level.
Reply 11
this is really explaining it might be difficult to do certain "complex" science courses because 3 sciences/maths is favoured lol. Also, by your definition Food and Nutrition and Medicine are in the same ranks. A lot of med courses only require Chemistry A level.

But I’m talking about the Russell Groups here. That’s the best place to start when thinking about any application.
But I’m talking about the Russell Groups here. That’s the best place to start when thinking about any application.

yep you're a troll. bye bye.
Reply 13
yep you're a troll. bye bye.

I’m honestly not, my personal opinion and advice for the OP.

Thank you for your responses! Sorry if my question caused a little friction there, it was just overwhelming seeing all these options but not knowing where I'll end up so I ended up asking a lot. Of course I have done my own research, but it was nice to see options through your opinions. I know I'm interested in a med course so it was helpful knowing I might need a third science or maths, so thank you very much.

Would any of you be able to briefly explain what a BioChem course is like?
Original post by taibarahmanc
Thank you for your responses! Sorry if my question caused a little friction there, it was just overwhelming seeing all these options but not knowing where I'll end up so I ended up asking a lot. Of course I have done my own research, but it was nice to see options through your opinions. I know I'm interested in a med course so it was helpful knowing I might need a third science or maths, so thank you very much.

You won't need a third science or maths unless you're applying to Cambridge, even then people get in with only Bio and Chem. However, it may help your application to have a third science/maths, on the other hand having another subject may also help, making you stand out a bit more than the typical bio/chem/maths applicants.
Reply 16
Original post by taibarahmanc

I think it varies somewhat from university to university as you can imagine. You’ll basically be combining the key elements of a biology degree with the key elements of chemistry and then any overlap. These degrees typically offer some kind of placement opportunity in your 2nd or 3rd year or the ability to study abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest