The Student Room Group

Racism

Why is it OK for a black person to say white boy, but not vice versa
Reply 1
Context of saying "white boy"?

If I'm describing the look of someone to somebody else it is fine to say he was a white boy/male, about 5"10 etc. If I'm saying it in a derogatory manner e.g. " shut up you dumb white boy" then of course it's not ok. Not really a good insult either seeing as you are just stating the guys race...
Reply 2
Original post by STLJA
Context of saying "white boy"?

If I'm describing the look of someone to somebody else it is fine to say he was a white boy/male, about 5"10 etc. If I'm saying it in a derogatory manner e.g. " shut up you dumb white boy" then of course it's not ok. Not really a good insult either seeing as you are just stating the guys race...[/ yeah, i hear you, but, its not as frowned upon when someone of colour calls a person white boy, not in description but in sentence
Reply 3
That's of my opinion also, but, when a person of colour uses it in a derogatory manner, it's not as frowned upon as is if a white person says e. g. Me and black boy.
Original post by Marcyboy88
That's of my opinion also, but, when a person of colour uses it in a derogatory manner, it's not as frowned upon as is if a white person says e. g. Me and black boy.

I personally don't think thats the case, I think it depends on how it is said and in what context. I also think people of colour tend to experience more racism in general so there is a bit more sensitivity when it comes race with ethnic minorities - I mean, we have heard those comments for years. People use the same point when it comes to sexism and how it is a bit more acceptable by society for men to get less empathy in some situations. And thats because of the history of sexism with women whereas men don't have the same history.

But I still think if it is said in a derogatory way it would still be unacceptable either way
Reply 5
Do you not think racism is racism redargless of history if we live in an equal society. If a white person calls out a person of colour for racism it isn't taken as seriously as a person of colour calling out a white person for racism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending