The Student Room Group

Should I take Physics A Level?

It's definitely the science I'm most interested in. Although I'm on course for a 9/8 grade at GCSE and I do well on tests, I feel like I don't actually understand the concepts being taught or why anything happens in Physics.

Do the concepts increase massively in difficulty at A-Level and if so, should I take it?

I'm good at maths and I'm on course for a 9 at GCSE.
From what I can tell at A-level. The grade people got at GCSE doesn't matter much at A-level. Some people got A*'s and are failing. Others got C's and are flying. Does your school run a taster session where you attend a-level lessons to help you chose
Original post by fecklessfloater
It's definitely the science I'm most interested in. Although I'm on course for a 9/8 grade at GCSE and I do well on tests, I feel like I don't actually understand the concepts being taught or why anything happens in Physics.

Do the concepts increase massively in difficulty at A-Level and if so, should I take it?

Maybe look at it from a different angle and start to think about what degree or career you might want. You can then decide whether you need it.

You can also talk to the teacher and other students at your school.

There is a big jump to A level, nut CGP I believe do some bridging guides.
Original post by fecklessfloater

My first question to you would be what other A Levels are you planning on taking (other than Physics)? I say this because my Sixth form doesn't let you take physics without maths at A Level as well, as the Physics is so maths-heavy.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Physics will become 1/3 or 1/4 of all of your subjects, so you'll be spending a lot more time doing Physics, which may help. That being said, Physics does (as with all sciences) get more difficult at A Level, and you will need to be able to understand what's going on in order to explain everything to the relevant depth etc.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a message :-)
Physics is a bit different to the other sciences at A level in that, rather than introducing lots of new topics, it covers a lot of the same stuff that's in GCSE but in more detail. For this reason, I have found it easier and more enjoyable than GCSE. Concepts that baffled me at GCSE (such as electric circuits) have become very clear due to gaining an actual understanding of what's going on (whereas I found at GCSE you skim the surface and have to try and remember and understand things without the foundation knowledge of what's really going on).
Physics was my worst science at GCSE (I got an A* but that's the equivalent of an 8 and I've no idea if I would have got a 9 if it had been possible when I'd done it) but now I love it and get the best A level scores my teacher has ever seen.
In summary, if you're interested in it and it's what you want to do, do it.
Original post by LaM19
Physics is a bit different to the other sciences at A level in that, rather than introducing lots of new topics, it covers a lot of the same stuff that's in GCSE but in more detail. For this reason, I have found it easier and more enjoyable than GCSE. Concepts that baffled me at GCSE (such as electric circuits) have become very clear due to gaining an actual understanding of what's going on (whereas I found at GCSE you skim the surface and have to try and remember and understand things without the foundation knowledge of what's really going on).
Physics was my worst science at GCSE (I got an A* but that's the equivalent of an 8 and I've no idea if I would have got a 9 if it had been possible when I'd done it) but now I love it and get the best A level scores my teacher has ever seen.
In summary, if you're interested in it and it's what you want to do, do it.

Thanks, this is reassuring and what I've heard from many people. Right now it's quite frustrating not being able to understand some topics but hopefully when taught in depth at A level, it should be okay.
Original post by Kalo7854
My first question to you would be what other A Levels are you planning on taking (other than Physics)? I say this because my Sixth form doesn't let you take physics without maths at A Level as well, as the Physics is so maths-heavy.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Physics will become 1/3 or 1/4 of all of your subjects, so you'll be spending a lot more time doing Physics, which may help. That being said, Physics does (as with all sciences) get more difficult at A Level, and you will need to be able to understand what's going on in order to explain everything to the relevant depth etc.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a message :-)

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to take Maths, Further Maths and Economics also. Not sure what I want to do yet, but Physics is the science I find most interesting even though I find it harder than Chem and Bio
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe look at it from a different angle and start to think about what degree or career you might want. You can then decide whether you need it.

You can also talk to the teacher and other students at your school.

There is a big jump to A level, nut CGP I believe do some bridging guides.

Thanks, I will definitely be having a look at some of the bridging guides over the summer once I make my mind up
Original post by Art111111
From what I can tell at A-level. The grade people got at GCSE doesn't matter much at A-level. Some people got A*'s and are failing. Others got C's and are flying. Does your school run a taster session where you attend a-level lessons to help you chose

Yes they did and I enjoyed it, but I'm still quite unsure.

Quick Reply

Latest