The Student Room Group

Should I try joining the army with a heart condition ?

Hi, first post here looking for a bit of clarification on how i can get into the armed forces, any help or opinions are appreciated.

I already applied and tried for the local army reserve back in 2016, I jumped through all the hoops and got on fine passing the fitness test and having a good interview with a captain and even attended a few team exercises and tour with a live shoot getting my morale going. Then 2 days later I received a call and letter from the Candidate Support Manager informing me my medical report had been looked over and i was not eligible, (I cant remember the exact wording as i cant find the letter of rejection) due to my heart condition (narrowing of the aorta)
and high blood pressure, I had a operation when i was 8 years old to correct this condition and currently take blood pressure tablets. Obviously the whole daily medication thing makes me a big liability. On top of that the heart condition was the nail in the coffin to any hope or morale I had back then for joining so I didn't appeal and got on with life.
Ever since I have tried going back to college, starting a career, None of it compares to that morale I felt when joining and I honestly was gutted when I got rejected.
I have huge respect for the people who are in the armed services and would love the lifestyle,
Is there any options for me in the army or similar? (not at a desk please)
(P.S The heart condition doesn't physically limit me, I have no problem with the fitness. Its pretty much on that line of "your a liability" that most "companies" don't want to deal with yet in most cases renders me as good as anyone else.)

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by AlexanderBoi
Is there any options for me in the army or similar

Sorry, but basically no. Not in the armed forces.

Daily medication is a big no no, and while you might not find it physically limiting, that's not how the forces work.
Original post by Drewski
Sorry, but basically no. Not in the armed forces.

Daily medication is a big no no, and while you might not find it physically limiting, that's not how the forces work.

Thanks for you honesty and a answer.
Ditto what Drewski said.

I know girl who got rejected because of something minor on her medical records.
Reply 4
I don’t think you can join the armed forces with a disability

Quick Reply

Latest