The Student Room Group

Is physic A level required for medicine

My teacher said physics was required for medicine but on uni websites it’s only chem/bio. Do unis favour people with physics A level? I’m going to do maths but don’t know if I should do further maths of physics for my fourth...?
Original post by rainbowcat1437
My teacher said physics was required for medicine but on uni websites it’s only chem/bio. Do unis favour people with physics A level? I’m going to do maths but don’t know if I should do further maths of physics for my fourth...?

They only require biology and chemistry! Some universities may say in their requirements that they want or prefer people to have maths or physics but the majority just say those two. I have friends applying with psychology or geography or English literature as their 3rd subject so it generally doesn't matter.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
They only require biology and chemistry! Some universities may say in their requirements that they want or prefer people to have maths or physics but the majority just say those two. I have friends applying with psychology or geography or English literature as their 3rd subject so it generally doesn't matter.

Ok thanks, that’s what i though so don’t know why teacher was saying chem and physics were required 😂
Chemistry is the only subject required for medicine - you don’t even need biology! And definitely don’t need physics! I know people doing med who didn’t even take maths ☺️ x

Chemistry is by far the most preferred A-level subject, but even so there are a few unis which don't make it an absolute requirement if applicants have Biology instead. Some want a third science, but don't really care what it is, so you don't actually need physics. Your teacher is simply wrong.

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No
Chem and bio is fine. Maths may help slightly with the BMAT. Physics doesn't.

Further maths is not recognised by a fair few med schools. The main reason for doing it would be if you are not certain on your degree choice and might need it for something else, or if you are doing it purely for interest/enjoyment. It might also help with the BMAT, but given the above i would not take it if you are 100% doing medicine.

There is no need to do 4.

Nah, it's not required.

That said, if it's a choice between Further Maths and Physics for your 4th, I'd say Physics is probably a better choice. Often Further Maths isn't considered as a "complete separate A Level" for medicine.

hi I'm in a similar position to you. I am going to choose physics as my fourth subject simply because I enjoy it, however there is a chance I may drop it if it proves to be too much. On results day I may even switch physics with a one year course in further maths.

Like others have said, physics isnt required. Only really chemistry and biology are required.
The unis websites are right, your teacher is wrong. Personally id trust the unis websites more any day, as the unis know what they require for their own courses, your teachers may not.
No it is not,the most common combination med applicants do is Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.
You only need chemistry and preferably biology. For your third you don’t need maths you could take a subject you really enjoy, eg English psychology geography, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest