The Student Room Group

How do I get on with my own life during a break from someone?

Hi there. I don’t usually come on here for relationship advice I’m usually very sure of myself but😂 There’s this guy who I’ve been seeing and he is the most amazing human being. But recently he’s just put things on a break due to school work, home life etc and I’m struggling to handle it. I know he intends on seeing me again after the break and he makes me so happy when I’m around him so to me that’s something worth holding on for. But I’m going through a rough patch because I will see him around school often and it feels like a punch to the stomach every time- I just miss him. He’s aware of how I’m feeling but needs to take this break and doesn’t know how long for. I don’t know when I’ll next see him, I would just like advice on how to get on with my own life. (I’m really trying to put my everything into school work but it still gets on my mind all the time). Thank you:smile:
I think the answer is to start loving yourself, in my opinion he just tries to find excuses because there is always plently of time for the people that we truly love. I know how it feels to miss somebody and to think about that person everytime you try to do something productive but it's absolutely normal. Every human being on earth felt this way but you know what? This feeling won't last. Think about yourself and enjoy the life because is the most precious gift you got. Stop trying to find the happiness in others, surround yourself with positivity and everything will be fine in the end. Probably he will leave one day but what will remain in your heart is the love you have for yourself. Smile and work hard for your dreams! Lots of love.
Reply 2
Original post by ElenaStefania
I think the answer is to start loving yourself, in my opinion he just tries to find excuses because there is always plently of time for the people that we truly love. I know how it feels to miss somebody and to think about that person everytime you try to do something productive but it's absolutely normal. Every human being on earth felt this way but you know what? This feeling won't last. Think about yourself and enjoy the life because is the most precious gift you got. Stop trying to find the happiness in others, surround yourself with positivity and everything will be fine in the end. Probably he will leave one day but what will remain in your heart is the love you have for yourself. Smile and work hard for your dreams! Lots of love.

I would completely agree with what you are saying for that is what I stand for myself. You have to love yourself before others can love you. But it’s odd in this case because I already have so much self respect/love/acceptance so that isn’t my problem. I don’t have a problem being alone with myself, it’s more a problem being without him.

And again I agree that a lot of people can always make time for you, but he’s taking space for very personal reasons rather than not having enough time as such and so I respect him for prioritising his health first. 😊
If the break is because of the run up to GCSE's, A levels, Uni finals, then he's totally right to put you on hold.

The results of those will stay with him for the rest of his life. Whilst you may or may not (probably not, but you never know).

You should support him in his exam preparation and if you have exams coming up, you should focus on them instead of this relationship stuff.
After exams, enjoy a long summer break, spending lots of quality time with him. Basically, screw your head on straight and get your priorities right.
If you want to get back on track, then you have to stop thinking of him. Get a new hobby, or get a 'healthy' obsession with books or a really cool band etc. Watch funny videos that make you laugh, anything that will help you forget him. If you're on a break, assume you're not gonna get back together. Assume the worse so your expectations don't break. Also, just focus on studying or maybe reach out to a friend you haven't spoken in a while. Just treat yourself, and wish him the best.

Hope you're doing okay xx
Reply 5
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
If the break is because of the run up to GCSE's, A levels, Uni finals, then he's totally right to put you on hold.

The results of those will stay with him for the rest of his life. Whilst you may or may not (probably not, but you never know).

You should support him in his exam preparation and if you have exams coming up, you should focus on them instead of this relationship stuff.
After exams, enjoy a long summer break, spending lots of quality time with him. Basically, screw your head on straight and get your priorities right.

Yeah it’s his a levels so I respect he wants space. I’m working really hard on my a levels too but I can always try harder😁
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
If you want to get back on track, then you have to stop thinking of him. Get a new hobby, or get a 'healthy' obsession with books or a really cool band etc. Watch funny videos that make you laugh, anything that will help you forget him. If you're on a break, assume you're not gonna get back together. Assume the worse so your expectations don't break. Also, just focus on studying or maybe reach out to a friend you haven't spoken in a while. Just treat yourself, and wish him the best.

Hope you're doing okay xx

Thank you for this. I never even thought for a minute we wouldn’t get back together so that’s opened my eyes to different possibilities as well. I will look into other hobbies and stuff😊 and I could be doing a lot worse thanks for asking xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending