The Student Room Group

Will I get kicked out of uni?

Aghh I'm really worried that I've messed up with uni. I have an 11 month old baby and I started uni in September- I missed one of the assignments because I had a lot going on at the time (I was burgled on christmas eve, split up with my baby's dad, had that awful flu that was going round) so I have failed one of my modules.

Then there was a technical problem with submitting another assignment so I had to email my work to the "latework" department who accepted my work and then emailed me back saying that they couldn't submit my work in the format I had sent it to them in (PDF form) so I've now failed another module.

My attendance is registered as 20% (!!!!) which is not accurate, we have a tapping in system and I was very bad at tapping my card to register my attendance, but obviously this cannot be proven and my attendance still wouldn't have been great even if I had tapped in.

I really should have waited another year to start uni but I wanted to prove the "young mum" stereotype wrong and be someone who my daughter could be proud of.

Do you think I'll get kicked out of uni? I've never heard of someone having 20% attendance, its absolutely atrocious and I didn't realise it had become this bad.
Should I just drop out to save myself the humiliation of being kicked off the course? I'm so bloody nervous about going in and facing all of this.
Original post by MGilberto
Aghh I'm really worried that I've messed up with uni. I have an 11 month old baby and I started uni in September- I missed one of the assignments because I had a lot going on at the time (I was burgled on christmas eve, split up with my baby's dad, had that awful flu that was going round) so I have failed one of my modules.

Then there was a technical problem with submitting another assignment so I had to email my work to the "latework" department who accepted my work and then emailed me back saying that they couldn't submit my work in the format I had sent it to them in (PDF form) so I've now failed another module.

My attendance is registered as 20% (!!!!) which is not accurate, we have a tapping in system and I was very bad at tapping my card to register my attendance, but obviously this cannot be proven and my attendance still wouldn't have been great even if I had tapped in.

I really should have waited another year to start uni but I wanted to prove the "young mum" stereotype wrong and be someone who my daughter could be proud of.

Do you think I'll get kicked out of uni? I've never heard of someone having 20% attendance, its absolutely atrocious and I didn't realise it had become this bad.
Should I just drop out to save myself the humiliation of being kicked off the course? I'm so bloody nervous about going in and facing all of this.

Hey - you need to go and speak to your tutor about what's happened :h: They'll be able to discuss your options with you. Universities generally want to support their students, and it sounds like you have a lot on your plate!

Don't just drop out. Go and speak to your tutor and see what they can do to help.
Reply 2

Talk to the Uni and see if you can take a year out or get support so you can manage your time better. You likely won't get kicked out just yet, and even better if you do explain the situation to them.
Plus one on both sets of advice. Universities want you to succeed but can’t help with a problem if they don’t know about it. Talk to you tutors in the first instance and see hw they can help.
Reply 4

You will not get kicked out as you have a genuine reason. Like previous posters have mentioned, you NEED to go and speak to your personal tutor and there might be other avenues of help available to you. Universities are generally willing to help as losing students is losing money to them so they want to ensure they keep as many as possible.

The modules you have failed, you should be allowed to re-do in July/August (just clarify this with your university). Although is worth noting that at any resit you are capped at 40%. Having said this it might be worth asking your tutor if it is worth submitting a mitigating circumstances form if you feel that is necessary.

In short; Go and seek help from your personal tutor, they can only help with problems they are aware off. Dont worry about being kicked out, they wont just kick you out. They usually give several warnings before even taking it to the next level, let alone expulsion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending