The Student Room Group

Nottingham (+ year in industry) or UCL for chemical engineering?

I am unsure of which to choose as my insurance as both offers are AAA, would really appreciate
any advice!!
both experiences would be completely different, if you can afford the living costs, UCL is most definitely the better choice. the overall uni experience will be more enjoyable and you will have better job prospects. Nottingham is definitely a fun campus uni
Original post by Mil23333
I am unsure of which to choose as my insurance as both offers are AAA, would really appreciate
any advice!!

What is your key criteria?

With a year in industry you'll significantly improve your job prospects upon graduation. Of course, you've also got to consider the locations too, London will be quite different to Nottingham, and also the courses (for example, I've heard that Nottingham might be a bit different from many other chem eng courses).
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
What is your key criteria?

With a year in industry you'll significantly improve your job prospects upon graduation. Of course, you've also got to consider the locations too, London will be quite different to Nottingham, and also the courses (for example, I've heard that Nottingham might be a bit different from many other chem eng courses).

Yeah, am finding it quite difficult to decide because UCL has a better ranking and reputation as a university but Ive heard it’s not so good for engineering, but then can’t guarantee that’s true, I think I would really like to live in London but my main priority is going where will be best for my career as I like both universities fairly equally. The year in industry is a definite advantage for Nottingham but it’s hard to know if this is more important than the reputation. Thank you for your help & I didn’t realise the course was different so will have to look into that...
Reply 4
Original post by failure543
both experiences would be completely different, if you can afford the living costs, UCL is most definitely the better choice. the overall uni experience will be more enjoyable and you will have better job prospects. Nottingham is definitely a fun campus uni

thanks for the help, I do feel like I prefer UCL but am just worried if not having the year in industry will put me at a disadvantage (they don’t offer one at all at UCL) and also UCL has a really high world ranking so I assume it’s got a good reputation as a university generally, but have heard some people say it’s not as good for engineering ??
thanks for the help, I do feel like I prefer UCL but am just worried if not having the year in industry will put me at a disadvantage (they don’t offer one at all at UCL) and also UCL has a really high world ranking so I assume it’s got a good reputation as a university generally, but have heard some people say it’s not as good for engineering ??

i'd really suggest visiting both unis once your exams are other, arrange appointments and speak to people from careers etc, although UCL doesn't have the year in industry, it's so well recognised, they give you great help in finding summer placements and you could always do a year after or in between
Yeah, am finding it quite difficult to decide because UCL has a better ranking and reputation as a university but Ive heard it’s not so good for engineering, but then can’t guarantee that’s true, I think I would really like to live in London but my main priority is going where will be best for my career as I like both universities fairly equally. The year in industry is a definite advantage for Nottingham but it’s hard to know if this is more important than the reputation. Thank you for your help & I didn’t realise the course was different so will have to look into that...

Reputation as defined by league tables or TSR is irrelevant. A year in industry gives you a years' experience which is very valuable, not only in helping secure interviews but also in helping you decide whether you want to continue your career in engineering or move into something else.

Caveat: a year in industry is not actually guaranteed - it's still something you'd have to be successful in obtaining, and it does not guarantee a job upon graduation either. You can still gain experience via summer placements, too, it's just that a year in industry is a bigger advantage than summer placements.

Whether you think that the advantages of the year in industry do not outweigh choosing the university you'd prefer is up to you. London vs Nottingham is also a big factor.
Original post by failure543

Lmao, based on what exactly? Nottingham is the better uni for engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest