The Student Room Group

I want to start my Own TSR - need your help guys!

Hey, so anon cuz I dont wanna seem like a fool in case this is a stupid idea or whatever... so mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another place as long as I remain anon, thank you :smile:

but I've wanting to create a social forum for many years now and I want to create something like TSR but for my own country.

One question is, how would I make money out of it? I understand it's going to be really costly; paying someone to create the forum, then having technicians keep spam away and delete negative comments, etc..

how can I make it a profitable business and get money out of it?

Thank you for your time guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Ads
Reply 2
besides ads? Also, why would companies put their ads on my page if I just started out and not that popular...
Original post by Anonymous
besides ads? Also, why would companies put their ads on my page if I just started out and not that popular...

Have people subscribe.
Reply 4
no ones going to pay money to post on an unestablished forum

even if TSR started doing this they'd have a fraction of their current userbase start paying [and everyone else leave], let alone expecting people to start paying for a new forum
Reply 5
can you elaborate on that please?
Reply 6
those are some great ideas thanks :smile: but most of them would either find a free alternative or not bother using those features
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
no ones going to pay money to post on an unestablished forum

even if TSR started doing this they'd have a fraction of their current userbase start paying [and everyone else leave], let alone expecting people to start paying for a new forum

but TSR is really profitable .. they have their own office with people working there
Reply 8
in order for my forum to stand out, I need to do something different.. maybe link it to social media platforms, have people post pics and comment, have a like and unlike button like the old Facebook, have more forum categories, target a larger audience... I dunno to be honest
Reply 9
but TSR is really profitable .. they have their own office with people working there

if tsr switched to a completely subscription based website i doubt they'd make ends meet.....
Hey, so anon cuz I dont wanna seem like a fool in case this is a stupid idea or whatever... so mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another place as long as I remain anon, thank you :smile:

but I've wanting to create a social forum for many years now and I want to create something like TSR but for my own country.

One question is, how would I make money out of it? I understand it's going to be really costly; paying someone to create the forum, then having technicians keep spam away and delete negative comments, etc..

TSR is international.

Get a fricken job if you want money.
Reply 11

you could actually start your own forum without that much web knowledge.

tsr looks like they've built [coded] their own forum, most forums on the internet are not coded by their website owners, they pay a monthly fee or something to use/install a forum or they get a free to host forum and use it on their site
Which country is this, incidentally?
can you elaborate on that please?

They pay to use certain features etc
Original post by Tootles
TSR is international.

Get a fricken job if you want money.

I do have a job, thank you very much. It's a side thing I've always wanted to do, like starting my own business.
Original post by Molybdenum42
Which country is this, incidentally?

Australia
Its probably best to start making the forum by summer when people have exams so you can get good user activity
Reply 17
As a software dev, I don't recommend this, unless you're doing it for fun.

Ideas and platforms that revolve around social interaction have to:
1) Compete with many other very well established platforms
2) Maintain high quality (at either a high cost, or high quality community)
3) Attract users (why would anyone use your TSR over TSR?)
4) Hold out until they have a large enough userbase to monetise
5) By the time they have a large enough userbase, scaling considerations take place, and your costs go up as you start needing to support the growing userbase (eventually, you'll probably end up rolling a custom codebase)

The business model is not linear, and there's no profit until you have enough users to make it a valuable platform.
Original post by HateOCR
Its probably best to start making the forum by summer when people have exams so you can get good user activity

great advice, thanks!
Original post by Harjot
As a software dev, I don't recommend this, unless you're doing it for fun.

Ideas and platforms that revolve around social interaction have to:
1) Compete with many other very well established platforms
2) Maintain high quality (at either a high cost, or high quality community)
3) Attract users (why would anyone use your TSR over TSR?)
4) Hold out until they have a large enough userbase to monetise
5) By the time they have a large enough userbase, scaling considerations take place, and your costs go up as you start needing to support the growing userbase (eventually, you'll probably end up rolling a custom codebase)

The business model is not linear, and there's no profit until you have enough users to make it a valuable platform.

Thank you for this. I realize now that I have a lot more to consider

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending