The Student Room Group

Do you ever use Supermarket fuels?

I personally avoid them as they're so diluted and it ends up going so fast. They're probably no good for the engine either.

However, Tesco is an exception, if anyone's tried their fuel they'll know how amazing it is.

Do you ever use them, and what's been your experience with them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalSheepy
I personally avoid them as they're so diluted and it ends up going so fast. They're probably no good for the engine either.

However, Tesco is an exception, if anyone's tried their fuel they'll know how amazing it is.

How do you mean 'diluted'? As in, diluted with water? Surely not, you'd have white smoke pumping out the back if that was the case

OP, I have to ask, what do you mean by 'diluted'?

I find them overpriced at times.

Particularly ASDA. There one runs out very fast as well as the cost itself.

I do have to agree with you though that Tescos one is great, I also found it last for longer too.

I just stick to petrol stations now. More 'run' for your money. 😁
(edited 6 years ago)

I only ever use Sainsburys fuel
Original post by jordon1703
How do you mean 'diluted'? As in, diluted with water? Surely not, you'd have white smoke pumping out the back if that was the case

Original post by MiszshorTea786
OP, I have to ask, what do you mean by 'diluted'?

They're not diluted with water, they're usually diluted with cheaper oils which don't combust as easily.

Original post by MiszshorTea786
I find them overpriced at times.

Particularly ASDA. There one runs out very fast as well as the cost itself.

I do have to agree with you though that Tescos one is great, I also found it last for longer too.

I just stick to petrol stations now. More 'run' for your money. 😁

I found ASDA to be alright tbf, but Tesco's really stood out. I've used their momentum 99 fuel and it lasted for ages! (I reckon it might even be better than Shell's fuel!)
I tend to use supermarket fuel purely because at the time of paying it's cheaper, quite considerably in some cases, but do know that the cheaper price usually does come with cheaper quality.

I have found, the last couple of times I've used Sainsbury's it has run out a lot quicker, and mpg has gone down significantly, compared to Tesco, so probably will go back to using Tesco to fill up from now on!
Reply 6
Not allowed to use anything lower than 98 RON in my AMG anyway so that rules out everything other than Tesco's Momentum 99. I have used it and given its 99 octane rating, it performs similarly to anything else out there. You won't notice a difference in power but the difference exists in your engine slowly over time and that's the main reason why I choose shell V power over momentum; I believe that (purely based on what I've seen from marketing and how they make it, feel free to contest it) V power contains more or better cleaning agents in the additives. For me, keeping the engine in tip top condition and free of carbon deposits as much as possible is more important than the difference in price of fuel. Especially when the cost of rebuilding it would exceed £50k or taking out extended warranty for £700/year.
(edited 6 years ago)
I didnt even know there was a difference apart from places lowering prices in order to compete with the local market.
Reply 8
Original post by xEmilyxx
I didnt even know there was a difference apart from places lowering prices in order to compete with the local market.

There isn't much of a difference between standard fuels; they all have to adhere to the British Standards.

Premium petrol is usually a higher octane rating than standard, which is good if your car benefits from it - many don't.

Diesel? It's all the same.

It all comes down to the additives used, really, but all fuel comes from the same refineries.
Reply 9

Diluted with what?

I fill up either at Tesco or Costco depending where I am when I need fuel.
....Wait what?
I use either Tesco or Morrisons, depends where I am - closest supermarket, also clubcard/more points are a bonus
Reply 11
The OP makes no sense. Is this a troll post?

All fuel in the UK comes from a handful of refineries. Higher octane fuel has varying levels of additives, but 95 is basically the same no matter where you get it from, especially if you talk purely supermarkets and not Shell/BP/etc.

Engines that are designed to make use of higher octane rating will change fuelling to make the most of it, generally allowing for better economy and better midrange performance and response. If they detect 95 they dial the timing back to prevent any possible damage.

Everything else will use all fuel at the same rate. I don't see how Tesco's 95 can be so much better than any other 95 (even though, apparently, everyone who has used it will know how incredible it is?).

I use Momentum 99 in my M2 as Tescos is only down the road, but I won't lose any sleep at night if I can't get hold of it.
Reply 12
You guys might be interested in these fuel tests - retrieved via the Wayback Archive from an autotuner I used to be familiar with (from back when I had a little sports car :moon: )

Fuel Test 1 - Total 95 vs Shell Optima vs BP Ultimate vs Tesco 99 (Result: Tesco 99 wins)
https://web.archive.org/web/20090825123844/http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk:80/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results.shtml

Fuel Test 2 - Shell V Power vs BP 102 vs Tesco 99 (Result: Tesco 99 marginally wins, BP 102 goes "off" quickly)
https://web.archive.org/web/20090909091332/http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk:80/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

Fuel Test 3 - Tesco 95 v Tesco 99 (Result: 99 RON had 10% better mpg AND bhp)
https://web.archive.org/web/20090902013058/http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk:80/tuning/October_2008_Fuel_Test_Report.shtml

(Full disclosure - the tester is sponsored by Tesco...)

@IWMTom @RoyalSheepy
I use supermarket fuel, yeah. Usually ASDA and Morrison’s but also use places like Shell etc. I hope it isn’t as bad to use them as it sounds :eek:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I use supermarket fuel, yeah. Usually ASDA and Morrison’s but also use places like Shell etc. I hope it isn’t as bad to use them as it sounds :eek:

its so cool you can drive now :auto::bubbles::auto:
Reply 15

It isn't. :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
its so cool you can drive now :auto::bubbles::auto:

I’ve been able to drive for 4 years, well I’ve had my license that long and my car getting on for 2 years. Passing my test and getting my own car is up there with some of my best achievements which is sad but I love driving :colondollar: have you learnt? :smile:
I’ve been able to drive for 4 years, well I’ve had my license that long and my car getting on for 2 years. Passing my test and getting my own car is up there with some of my best achievements which is sad but I love driving :colondollar: have you learnt? :smile:

wait what :eek4: omg i swear you said you just learned :getmecoat:
although i never knew you were into morrison's :hand:
and no is too expensive, plus my parent cant drive neither can my sibling, is not really a done thing
Original post by CoolCavy
wait what :eek4: omg i swear you said you just learned :getmecoat:
although i never knew you were into morrison's :hand:
and no is too expensive, plus my parent cant drive neither can my sibling, is not really a done thing

Maybe that was shadow? She passed about a year and a half ago and got a car about 6 months ago.
Haha it was the closest place to my uni house so used it a lot :tongue:
It is expensive tbf, I hope you have good bus routes and trains?
Personally I always fill up at supermarkets, Tesco and Asda normally, I've never noticed bad fuel efficiency using them and it was genuinely painful topping up in a motorway service station and paying around 10-15p more than I usually do :s-smilie:

I also don't think that any of this "Shell V-Power" or "BP Ultimate" is going to make my 206 some sort of speed machine (and if it did, I think my insurance company would be on me like a hawk).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending