The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades

So to be completely honest, I'm not sure if I'm using this correctly but I don't mind if I don't enter the competition. My main aim is to start a blog that will hold me accountable for the work I aim to do and to give people a bit of insight into what life is like for me. I used to be quite funny about giving my real name on sites like this - where I plan to be completely honest about myself - however, when I started at my new school in year 10, I found that there was a girl (who I'm now really good friends with) who had the the same first and surname as me, it was spelt exactly the same too. I feel therefore, that I can open up to strangers a lot more than I used to.

I am currently studying A levels at a sixth form. They are: English Literature, Art and Psychology. I'm really enjoying English and Art - finding Art to be quite a lot of work though - but unfortunately I'm not enjoying Psychology at all. Me and my parents have made inquiries into changing Psychology for Biology and even though they've said that wouldn't be possible, I haven't given up hope yet - I'm completely determined to do 3 subjects I love! I'm also doing EPQ - I should actually be completing the proposal form as I am writing this but I guess that's an insight into how productive I really am.
I'm aiming for all A*s in my A level subjects (so probably need to get on with my EPQ proposal form!)

I'd describe myself as a perfectionist but I don't ever live up to my expectations, something which I hope to change during this process. At the moment I don't go in to school five days a week because I'm not very well - I have mental illnesses. This means that I often have work to catch up on and difficulty concentrating. Even though, I've been ill for just over a year now, I still managed to complete my GCSEs last summer and my results were:
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Maths - 7
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Spanish - A*
Music - B
Art - A*

In the end, although I had been intending to do a History and Physics GCSE as well, me and my parents decided it would be too hard for me to complete 10 GCSEs and do well in all of them. Sometimes I regret not completing at least my History GCSE but in the end it probably would've jeopardized my other results.

My main goal at the moment is to spend less time procrastinating and to be productive, whether that be practicing a hobby, studying, exercising... anything like that. I really want to be able to make it into school five days a week because I know that would help my productivity levels as well. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a successful week!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
WOW! Your GCSE's are impeccable and are really good! I hope you're proud because they're fantastic. Currently, I'm doing GCSE's, and revising tons. May I ask for any advice that you can give me for doing my GCSEs'? Also, how did you practice your for your Spanish exams and what websites did you use? Also, i hope you do really well for your A-Levels and go to the University you wish for! Best of luck!:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by miss_ambitious
WOW! Your GCSE's are impeccable and are really good! I hope you're proud because they're fantastic. Currently, I'm doing GCSE's, and revising tons. May I ask for any advice that you can give me for doing my GCSEs'? Also, how did you practice your for your Spanish exams and what websites did you use? Also, i hope you do really well for your A-Levels and go to the University you wish for! Best of luck!:smile:

Thank you so much! And it's really good that you've started revising now for your GCSEs, that will definitely benefit you. I think my main advice would be to do practise papers - especially for science and maths - and to have quotes from your English texts that you can apply to a few themes rather than just one (otherwise you'll find you have around 60 quotes to remember for each text!). For Spanish I used quizlet and did practise papers, but I think the best thing for Spanish is to remember that you're never going to know all of the vocabulary for your reading and listening exams, the most important words to remember are the connectives - someone might be saying something positive but then something negative and you'll know instantly if they say "sin embargo" for example. The vocabulary for reoccurring topics in the exam papers is also good to know, in every paper I did there was always a section on relationships so I made sure I revised the words for cousins, uncle, aunt etc. Basically don't panic if you can't translate a whole sentence! Good luck in your exams, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Today I'm working from home again and have been thinking about routines - what I want mine to be and how to make sure I stick to them whilst they're not a part of my natural daily life. For example, I wish I had one evening a week where I did some baking, a couple of nights a week where I did art for my own enjoyment and development.

I play the trumpet and really enjoy it but I always forget to practise. Sometimes I'll put it in my agenda for the day but it never seems to happen. This week my goal is to practise the trumpet and to make time for it. I also want this to become a habit - writing a blog post. I wish I had the time to make a website of my own and maybe I will at some point this year, but for now I want this to become a habit.

I want these posts to motivate myself. If you met me in person you'd know that none of this sounds like me - to be honest on here I sound so positive I don't sound human. But I don't want to write about the negative points of my life on here because I find it too personal and I like to escape all of it, even if that means being a completely different person online. It's almost like an acting job online. Anyway I should get on. Have a successful day!
Original post by meggysmith
So to be completely honest, I'm not sure if I'm using this correctly but I don't mind if I don't enter the competition. My main aim is to start a blog that will hold me accountable for the work I aim to do and to give people a bit of insight into what life is like for me. I used to be quite funny about giving my real name on sites like this - where I plan to be completely honest about myself - however, when I started at my new school in year 10, I found that there was a girl (who I'm now really good friends with) who had the the same first and surname as me, it was spelt exactly the same too. I feel therefore, that I can open up to strangers a lot more than I used to.

I am currently studying A levels at a sixth form. They are: English Literature, Art and Psychology. I'm really enjoying English and Art - finding Art to be quite a lot of work though - but unfortunately I'm not enjoying Psychology at all. Me and my parents have made inquiries into changing Psychology for Biology and even though they've said that wouldn't be possible, I haven't given up hope yet - I'm completely determined to do 3 subjects I love! I'm also doing EPQ - I should actually be completing the proposal form as I am writing this but I guess that's an insight into how productive I really am.
I'm aiming for all A*s in my A level subjects (so probably need to get on with my EPQ proposal form!)

I'd describe myself as a perfectionist but I don't ever live up to my expectations, something which I hope to change during this process. At the moment I don't go in to school five days a week because I'm not very well - I have mental illnesses. This means that I often have work to catch up on and difficulty concentrating. Even though, I've been ill for just over a year now, I still managed to complete my GCSEs last summer and my results were:
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Maths - 7
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Spanish - A*
Music - B
Art - A*

In the end, although I had been intending to do a History and Physics GCSE as well, me and my parents decided it would be too hard for me to complete 10 GCSEs and do well in all of them. Sometimes I regret not completing at least my History GCSE but in the end it probably would've jeopardized my other results.

My main goal at the moment is to spend less time procrastinating and to be productive, whether that be practicing a hobby, studying, exercising... anything like that. I really want to be able to make it into school five days a week because I know that would help my productivity levels as well. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a successful week!

I did English at A-level and really enjoyed it :yep: what texts are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Fox Corner
I did English at A-level and really enjoyed it :yep: what texts are you doing?

So far we've looked at A Streetcar Named Desire, A Passage to India and Heart of Darkness. I really enjoyed Streetcar but don't like the others as much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending