The Student Room Group

Do I need to pay council tax in my situation?

Quick background - I started at the Uni of Portsmouth back in September studying engineering and tech, but I dropped out in mid November. I am now studying an online course to be a personal trainer.

In August I will be looking to move up to Glasgow into a two bed flat with one of my mates and we are looking to get the deposit down within the next few weeks. I know he will not have to pay the council tax on the flat as he's a student at Strathclyde uni in Glasgow, however my course is considered to be part-time so I think I might be liable.

My question is - will I have to pay it? I still have my student ID and my funding and information letter from the uni to show I was on the course/duration of the course/cost of the course, could I just use these and say I am still a student there? Is there any way for them to check this with the uni? Could I ask the uni to have all my information made confidential?

I know there are a lot of questions but I would much rather not pay the council tax - obviously.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :smile:
Original post by michael420
Quick background - I started at the Uni of Portsmouth back in September studying engineering and tech, but I dropped out in mid November. I am now studying an online course to be a personal trainer.

In August I will be looking to move up to Glasgow into a two bed flat with one of my mates and we are looking to get the deposit down within the next few weeks. I know he will not have to pay the council tax on the flat as he's a student at Strathclyde uni in Glasgow, however my course is considered to be part-time so I think I might be liable.

My question is - will I have to pay it? I still have my student ID and my funding and information letter from the uni to show I was on the course/duration of the course/cost of the course, could I just use these and say I am still a student there? Is there any way for them to check this with the uni? Could I ask the uni to have all my information made confidential?

I know there are a lot of questions but I would much rather not pay the council tax - obviously.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :smile:

You are no longer a student. You are liable for council tax. You can show them your student id for your next course, which they may accept, although they will find it a little odd that your are living in Glasgow but attending in Portsmouth. If they find out then that would be fraud.

Portsmouth can confirm whether you are a student there or not. Not sure why they would want to help you with evading council tax? Gl with that one.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You are no longer a student. You are liable for council tax. You can show them your student id for your next course, which they may accept, although they will find it a little odd that your are living in Glasgow but attending in Portsmouth. If they find out then that would be fraud.

Portsmouth can confirm whether you are a student there or not. Not sure why they would want to help you with evading council tax? Gl with that one.

Yeah bit of a long shot, the new course I am on is not with Portsmouth uni it is with a fitness organisation and is part time, so I assume that still makes me liable?
Original post by michael420
Yeah bit of a long shot, the new course I am on is not with Portsmouth uni it is with a fitness organisation and is part time, so I assume that still makes me liable?

You ceased to be a full time student when you left. You can apply for single persons discount plus if you are on benefits hen you pay a much reduced amount. Its up to you whether you tell them you have left if you are in Portsmouth, but its a different issue if you register at your new place as being a full time Portsmouth student.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You ceased to be a full time student when you left. You can apply for single persons discount plus if you are on benefits hen you pay a much reduced amount. Its up to you whether you tell them you have left if you are in Portsmouth, but its a different issue if you register at your new place as being a full time Portsmouth student.

Yeah don't suppose it would be a great idea to tell them I'm still a full time student, thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending