The Student Room Group

Indenting

Hello !
I am an IB student in my final year, and my World Lit deadline is coming up. One thing is bothering me though, I've read on the internet that indenting new paragraphs was the way to go so I did. Only now my teacher tells me that he doesn't think it's useful and that it doesn't look good. What do you think ?
Original post by baatman02
Hello !
I am an IB student in my final year, and my World Lit deadline is coming up. One thing is bothering me though, I've read on the internet that indenting new paragraphs was the way to go so I did. Only now my teacher tells me that he doesn't think it's useful and that it doesn't look good. What do you think ?

For handwritten essays in the UK, indenting is still standard to indicate a new paragraph. For word-processed essays it is normal not to indent but to leave an empty line between paragraphs. However, if this is for a Lit exam it shouldn't make much difference what you do. I know for UK English exams there are a few marks for spelling, punctuation and grammar but either way of marking a new paragraph would be accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending