The Student Room Group

When do you think older music will become irrelevant?

I'm talking about music from the 50s, 60s and 70s. It's all so accessible to us now so it's hard to imagine them losing popularity. Although obviously there's a definite shift in what's most popular these days.
Do you think they will become irrelevant and die out.
Once the current teen generation become mature parents in their 50s will the "old stuff" be Drake etc?
Where do you see music in 100 years?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How would music become irrelevant and die out?

If that was a 'thing', how come music that's 2-300+ years old still exists?
all of the so called "wrap" music and "reggie" and "hip pop" will be forgotten by 2050.
The classics will remain popular and relevant in the same way they are now

People like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley etc will always remain relevant because of the effect they had on music. Odds are "older" music will remain far more relevant than the likes of Drake
Original post by Anonymous
I'm talking about music from the 50s, 60s and 70s. It's all so accessible to us now so it's hard to imagine them losing popularity. Although obviously there's a definite shift in what's most popular these days.
Once the current teen generation become mature parents in their 50s will the "old stuff" be Drake etc?

Michael Jackson and The Jacksons will never become irrelevant.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
How would music become irrelevant and die out?

If that was a 'thing', how come music that's 2-300+ years old still exists?

Of course, and obviously still remain iconic, but they're clearly a lot less popular than they used to be in terms of what people listen to day to day. Wondering if bands from the 70s will stand the test of time.

Original post by TrelaiBoy
The classics will remain popular and relevant in the same way they are now

People like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley etc will always remain relevant because of the effect they had on music. Odds are "older" music will remain far more relevant than the likes of Drake

I agree those three will remain relevant for a very long time. But I wonder about bands like The Yardbirds and The Animals. I hope so.
Reply 6
Of course, and obviously still remain iconic, but they're clearly a lot less popular than they used to be in terms of what people listen to day to day. Wondering if bands from the 70s will stand the test of time.

I agree those three will remain relevant for a very long time. But I wonder about bands like The Yardbirds and The Animals. I hope so.

There'll always be afficianados and music geeks who know it and bring it back. Music doesn't die.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
There'll always be afficianados and music geeks who know it and bring it back. Music doesn't die.

I didn't mean permanently die and be completely forgotten btw. But you know when you go to certain clubs and they play old 50s-80s classics in one room, I'm wondering when that'll change and most people will lose interest. And when Nirvana and The Stone Roses will become the old classics.
Obviously not for many years but I'm wondering how long it'll take.
Reply 8
Next generation won't have a clue or give a ****. This generation just about does so it's inevitable
Good music will always stick around
Obviously, eventually, less and less people will listen to 50's music and of course the "classics" section will be more like the 80's, 90's, etc. People will ***** about that, saying it's bad because music is worse now or something, but people said the same thing 10/20/30+ years ago.

Anyway.
It'll never 'die' per se. As long as it's on record, it'll have fans, it just won't be popular.
The guys making new music need something to sample

Original post by Joinedup
The guys making new music need something to sample

That's true. I listen to a lot of electronic music and it's interesting when you see that the DJ has barely changed anything and that the classic that they're sampling is already a banger in itself. Yet the new DJ gets all the credit. And same with rap/hip hop as well. You hear little things and you think damn Kanye this sounds pretty fresh and then you find out it's all Larry Heard.
Original post by the bear
all of the so called "wrap" music and "reggie" and "hip pop" will be forgotten by 2050.

maybe by old men on TSR but you recluses dont speak for the average person.
Original post by Baza2002
Michael Jackson and The Jacksons will never become irrelevant.

He won't for a long time but you say it like he's some music God lol.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Next generation won't have a clue or give a ****. This generation just about does so it's inevitable

Na this generation is pretty clueless as well outside of the music geeks.

I think most are people of the times.

There will always be guys seeking out music though.
Original post by Caesar333

No, but young recluses who are impolite do?
Original post by Caesar333

Original post by Wilfred Little
He won't for a long time but you say it like he's some music God lol.

He is...

Yeah, it's dying out. You see magical, amazing music from those times, but you look at today, instead of enjoying bands and real music like from those times, today they enjoy a machine and dj as their "music".

It means for people who play music that stuff will get harder for us. In the next 100 years I see music get even more different from how it is now. As for the proper music of the 50's, 60's and 70's, that will die out. Cos people are changing. It's sad as a guitarist to see how it's turning.

Quick Reply

Latest