The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Making friends at UCL?

I've been accepted into UCL (Civil Eng) and I'm probably going to put it as my firm, however, I was wondering how hard it is to make friends? Right now I have friends but we're not really close and don't hang out at all after school, so I'm just kind of alone (which I can deal with, for now). Since UCL is in London and doesn't really have a campus, how hard is it? Also I don't do clubbing and drinking so I'm worried about freshers. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Also, if anyone reading this is also thinking of putting it as their firm, are you worried?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rainabridget
I've been accepted into UCL (Civil Eng) and I'm probably going to put it as my firm, however, I was wondering how hard it is to make friends? Right now I have friends but we're not really close and don't hang out at all after school, so I'm just kind of alone (which I can deal with, for now). Since UCL is in London and doesn't really have a campus, how hard is it? Also I don't do clubbing and drinking so I'm worried about freshers. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Also, if anyone reading this is also thinking of putting it as their firm, are you worried?

Yeah same me being a Muslim as well means I'll not be drinking and clubbing I just want to chill play play pool and stuff
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by jim1999
Yeah same me being a Muslim as well means I'll not be drinking and clubbing I just want to chill play play pool and stuff

lmao maybe I'll spot you at one of the lamer fresher events then attended by fellow people who'll save $$$ in their first year:redface:
Reply 3
lmao maybe I'll spot you at one of the lamer fresher events then attended by fellow people who'll save $$$ in their first year:redface:

yeah **** will be expensive, you got snapchat
Reply 4
Lol I've put UCL as my firm and I am not really on that partying vibe either, it should be fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by zm2088
Lol I've put UCL as my firm and I am not really on that partying vibe either, it should be fine :smile:

what subject
Reply 6
Original post by jim1999
what subject

History for me, what about you?
Reply 7
Original post by zm2088
History for me, what about you?

project management in construction

Im firming UCL.

There are lots of great societies, and I think after 2 months, the whole clubbing /drinking vibe dies down in all unis. But in London there is so much to do outside clubbing/drinking anyway.

But also bear in mind you have to put in the effort to make friends, it wont be like school where its happens without effort :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jim1999
project management in construction

Sounds quite difficult, have you put it as your firm?
Original post by jim1999
yeah **** will be expensive, you got snapchat

I had a moment of impulse where I deleted all of my social medias minus IG aha
I had a moment of impulse where I deleted all of my social medias minus IG aha

Yeah I've only got Insta and snap but have only family and close friends on there
Original post by zm2088
Sounds quite difficult, have you put it as your firm?

Yeah, maybe we'll link on mater in the year
Original post by SuperHuman98
Im firming UCL.

There are lots of great societies, and I think after 2 months, the whole clubbing /drinking vibe dies down in all unis. But in London there is so much to do outside clubbing/drinking anyway.

But also bear in mind you have to put in the effort to make friends, it wont be like school where its happens without effort :tongue:

True, I shall try and survive all the small talk (shudders). I was planning on joining like the Japan society and Engineers Without Borders, so I hope to meet some chill like-minded people :h: and yeah I've been up to London a couple times, I love how much there is to do
Original post by zm2088

It's just slightly annoying when my family act like at uni I'll change, I just hope I can find other people like me... because where would I even find them when they're not at the typical and obvious spots, lol
Original post by jim1999
Yeah I've only got Insta and snap but have only family and close friends on there

Pretty glad I deleted snapchat before the *****y update tho tbh, and whenever there's a party I don't have the deal with the spam:tongue: I'll probably get it again in uni tho
Most UCL buildings are in the same part of London to be honest, so it has quite a campus-like vibe, especially given the fact SOAS, Birkbeck and RADA are all right next door to it as well. A lot of UCL and Uni of London halls are all close together within a stone’s throw of the uni as well, so if you want a campus like experience then you can definitely get one.

I attended the offer Holders day for Chemistry a few weeks ago. I'd say it's pretty easy to make friends as the ethos and atmosphere seemed really nice. Plus, everyone will be in the same position as you. They'll also be new and looking to make friends.
And yeah, I don't drink either.

I started at UCL in September 2017, and I’m similar to you ( I don’t drink, nor go clubbing nor smoke). Now the biggest issue I faced in making friends is that there are soooo many Chinese people that already know each other ( they all come from China from top elite schools) so it’s hard to integrate with them.

The best way to know people is through Facebook freshers chats and subject chats, I think beforehand so when you do meet them, you have something to talk about.

Ultimately it’s up to you, if you are outgoing it’ll be easy by if you ain’t outgoing like myself, it takes you out of your comfort zone and teaches you to build rapport which is important in the work life.

Do pm me if you want any info about UCL in general
Original post by Neeta211
I attended the offer Holders day for Chemistry a few weeks ago. I'd say it's pretty easy to make friends as the ethos and atmosphere seemed really nice. Plus, everyone will be in the same position as you. They'll also be new and looking to make friends.
And yeah, I don't drink either.

I live far so going to an offer holder day isn’t really that easy, but yeah that makes sense, cheers! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending