The Student Room Group

Weight

I’m 13 is it bad that I way 3 stone more than average ?
Can't say based on that. Are you fat? How tall are you and how heavy?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 13 is it bad that I way 3 stone more than average ?

What even is average anymore anyway? If you're comfortable in your own skin, who gives a damn what society says you should be.
Original post by Chloanya_
What even is average anymore anyway? If you're comfortable in your own skin, who gives a damn what society says you should be.

If a 13 year old is 3 stone overweight, then he should absolutely give a damn and so should his parents. I am all for accepting who you are, and accepting other people, but pretending that weight being a problem is only a societal construct is just daft.
Reply 4
No its not bad, don’t stress about it. Doesn’t matter what you weigh, what matters is how you feel about yourself. If you think negatively then your mindset will change and you’ll focus on the worst things especially on something you love.
Hi there!
Probably best to ask your GP as he/she will be able to work out your BMI and find out if you are a healthy weight. But remember, everyone comes in different shapes and sizes! 😊
Please be careful posting questions about potentially sensitive subjects as some people’s comments might affect how you feel about yourself!
Take care, harriet 🙂
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
If a 13 year old is 3 stone overweight, then he should absolutely give a damn and so should his parents. I am all for accepting who you are, and accepting other people, but pretending that weight being a problem is only a societal construct is just daft.

I apologise for the misunderstanding, I'm not saying nor pretending weight isn't an issue. It obviously is. I'm just stating, by coming to an online forum to discuss the issue, it isn't necessarily going to help the OP, alright yes it may bring some awareness to them but it can also create a bit too much pressure so my response was just to try and make him/her relax a little. I understand if you don't believe it to be the correct advice but is was aimed into the direction of support, not help.
People who are saying it's not bad are coddling you.

You should look at yourself and know if you are fat or not. You're allowed to feel upset, so long as you acknowledge who you are truthfully and be honest. That's the first step to getting healthier.

Someone else posted great advice about seeing a GP. They can give the best advice on this as they can see you in person- we can't.

Stay strong- this means, do whatever it takes to make yourself a better person.
Original post by Chloanya_
I apologise for the misunderstanding, I'm not saying nor pretending weight isn't an issue. It obviously is. I'm just stating, by coming to an online forum to discuss the issue, it isn't necessarily going to help the OP, alright yes it may bring some awareness to them but it can also create a bit too much pressure so my response was just to try and make him/her relax a little. I understand if you don't believe it to be the correct advice but is was aimed into the direction of support, not help.

That's fair, and given they're only 13 I should have perhaps leaned further in that direction, but I do feel people have a tendency to normalise obesity and the like and it certainly irks me. OP : Talk to your parents, that's really all you can do here. Get some advice. You're lucky that at such a young age it's very easy to get into the body shape you'd like!
3 stone sounds like quite a lot to be overweight by if it is correct. But I suppose that depends on how tall you are. If you are taller than average then obviously you should weigh more. I agree that a GP is the best person to answer your question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending