The Student Room Group

Why don't people do more to work against the current education system?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
The education system in the UK is fine. It's not like it's enslaving anyone, if you want to learn something differently.. You can do that too. All the subjects we learn are essential to understanding the real world, whether you like it or not as you first see it, you learn to like it in the end.

I think a lot of people which disagree with a lot you just said. For one, "It's not like it's enslaving anyone". Although I agree to an extent, most of the education system seems to be just trying to put control on young people. And this one "All the subjects we learn are essential to understanding the real world". Really? Most people never need to know what sin45 was or the quadratic formula or the reactivity series or even how the structure of a poem presented something.
Original post by Drewski
You're asking why don't people do it but in the very same moment you're hiding away from being associated with doing it.

Don't you see the irony?

No. I see myself trying to show people the issue and you are still ignoring it, focusing your attention on something that doesn't matter at all. Considering my account has nothing to do with who I am, would that make it any less anonymous?
Original post by Anonymous
I think a lot of people which disagree with a lot you just said. For one, "It's not like it's enslaving anyone". Although I agree to an extent, most of the education system seems to be just trying to put control on young people. And this one "All the subjects we learn are essential to understanding the real world". Really? Most people never need to know what sin45 was or the quadratic formula or the reactivity series or even how the structure of a poem presented something.

Analyzing a piece of literature is a key skill, and solving any mathematical problem using a step by step logical approach is a skill people overlook. There is so much application and use for sine and cosine used in economics and engineering. Imagine a world where we didn't have this.... Hell, even if you don't study maths where else can you solve hard problems using step by step analysis.

The system wasn't random, people have formed conclusions on this.
because nothing'll change.
Analyzing a piece of literature is a key skill, and solving any mathematical problem using a step by step logical approach is a skill people overlook. There is so much application and use for sine and cosine used in economics and engineering. Imagine a world where we didn't have this.... Hell, even if you don't study maths where else can you solve hard problems using step by step analysis.

The system wasn't random, people have formed conclusions on this.

To be fair, I would have and always did agree with the logic of maths, but not the memorizing of things that don't matter. And you did say all subjects, so did being forced to struggle every drama lesson which made me, and a large number of others feel pathetic to give me understanding of the real world? And what about art? What did that help me with?
To be fair, I would have and always did agree with the logic of maths, but not the memorizing of things that don't matter. And you did say all subjects, so did being forced to struggle every drama lesson which made me, and a large number of others feel pathetic to give me understanding of the real world? And what about art? What did that help me with?

The same thing as anyone playing a musical instrument would suggest.
The same thing as anyone playing a musical instrument would suggest.

Which is? By the way, I do an instrument. If it's about confidence, I would 100% disagree.
The system is broken in a lot of ways but it depends on a school by school basis too as each one runs itself differently... no point wasting our time campaigning against the current system when it actually does fine. Under what metric is it failing?
Because you don't get UCAS points for fighting the education system.

> BuT SuFYaan UNIS DoN'T CARe aBoUt ucAs poInTs
shut ur mauf fam points are points.

For example, at one school (and I'm guessing a lot more), they are expected to stay an hour after school, do AT LEAST 2 more hours of revision at home, on top of any homework that they get. Not including the homework, this takes it to at least 6:15. The students would often do clubs and stuff away from school and some of the things directly after school are longer than an hour. Students often have to stay behind to 5 and then go home to do even more revision and homework. Yes, this is year 11, but it shouldn't be happening.

working til 6 is pretty normal

also teachers say that stuff because then most students will do something every now and again... they don't really expect everyone to do it and they know very few do

I'm not saying it's right because it's all pressure but it's not really expected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending