The Student Room Group

Just cracked my tooth what do I do?

So I was just eating I didn't feel the damage but I could I could feel there something very hard in mouth that couldn't have been the food. Spat it out and there were two bits of broken teeth.
I've just my upper first molar. The the inner back corner. And now the central bit of the tooth is exposed.
I'm at uni atm and don't have a dentist here. Won't be back home for two weeks. Even then it'll probably be difficult to get an appointment.
What do I do in the meantime?
Should I just chew on one side? What do I do about brushing my teeth?
I'm also scared that more is going to break off and I'm going to swallow it in my sleep or something. I also don't want the tooth to get infected.
Try calling NHS and ask them what to do, I hear they can give some cracking advice for situations such as this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Probably temporary filling or have it shaved off if it is sharp
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So I was just eating I didn't feel the damage but I could I could feel there something very hard in mouth that couldn't have been the food. Spat it out and there were two bits of broken teeth.
I've just my upper first molar. The the inner back corner. And now the central bit of the tooth is exposed.
I'm at uni atm and don't have a dentist here. Won't be back home for two weeks. Even then it'll probably be difficult to get an appointment.
I'm also scared that more is going to break off and I'm going to swallow it in my sleep or something. I also don't want the tooth to get infected.

You can still get emergency dental advice over the phone I believe - search online or if you worried it’s worse than you think call NHS 111 and they might give you some numbers or pass you on to an emergency dental practice.
Reply 4
Original post by Lily048
You can still get emergency dental advice over the phone I believe - search online or if you worried it’s worse than you think call NHS 111 and they might give you some numbers or pass you on to an emergency dental practice.

So do you think I should get it sorted now and not wait? It doesn't hurt or anything and there's no blood.
So do you think I should get it sorted now and not wait? It doesn't hurt or anything and there's no blood.

I wouldn't be too concerned, just book an appointment with your local dentist and they'll either fill it in, remove the tooth or maybe put a crown on it. It's important to keep the area food free so brush after every meal to prevent food getting stuck in there and rotting.
Reply 6

If you’re positive it’s not damaged your gums or anything id just suggest eat easy foods on the other side of your mouth and try and get an appointment back home ASAP because it might get uncomfortable
Reply 7

Call NHS 111. They can sot you out with some urgent dental care. NHS will see you if you need care and you need care. If nothing else you don't want it getting damaged more or annoying you all that time.
You could also call any local NHS dental practice or your uni dentist if you have one.
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Call NHS 111. They can sot you out with some urgent dental care. NHS will see you if you need care and you need care. If nothing else you don't want it getting damaged more or annoying you all that time.
You could also call any local NHS dental practice or your uni dentist if you have one.

I dunno if it's bad enough to qualify for urgent dental care but I might call some local dentists tomorrow morning
Reply 9
I dunno if it's bad enough to qualify for urgent dental care but I might call some local dentists tomorrow morning

In this context urgent just means not waiting around weeks for a normal appointment. I'm not taking about you being rushed to the nearest dentist and getting immediate care, more like getting somebody to look at it in the next day or two. If you have broken a tooth it's something worth getting looked at sooner rather than later cos it could open up to further issues. Calling 111 means they can look up your local places and potentially book you in with one. It just saves you calling all over the place and having to explain it each time. If you're cool with calling around yourself though just do that. NHS surgeries should be able to see you for something like this even if you're not registered with them. Just be sure to say why so they know how soon you should be seen. :smile:
Original post by Kindred
In this context urgent just means not waiting around weeks for a normal appointment. I'm not taking about you being rushed to the nearest dentist and getting immediate care, more like getting somebody to look at it in the next day or two. If you have broken a tooth it's something worth getting looked at sooner rather than later cos it could open up to further issues. Calling 111 means they can look up your local places and potentially book you in with one. It just saves you calling all over the place and having to explain it each time. If you're cool with calling around yourself though just do that. NHS surgeries should be able to see you for something like this even if you're not registered with them. Just be sure to say why so they know how soon you should be seen. :smile:

Oh right ok thank you yeah I'll call 111 tomorrow then
Oh right ok thank you yeah I'll call 111 tomorrow then

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest