The Student Room Group

Going to the dentist for the first time on my own - I’m panicking.

Hey there!

I’m going to the dentist for the first time on my own today. Not by choice, oh no. Everyone is at work today, so I’ve got to go on my own. I’m so, so scared. I couldn’t sleep all night thinking about it. I’m 16, and super embarrassed about such a petty fear hence the anon - but I could really use a bit of reassurance and support this morning.

Reply 1
They will only do a check up today so nothing to worry about Dentists are super understanding as many people are scared of them.Be brave and think how good you will feel on the way out!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
They will only do a check up today so nothing to worry about Dentists are super understanding as many people are scared of them.Be brave and think how good you will feel on the way out!

Oh! Sorry, I should have put in the post. I’m having a tooth removed. Thank you, I appreciate it 🤍
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Oh! Sorry, I should have put in the post. I’m having a tooth removed. Thank you, I appreciate it 🤍

Oh are you having It done by local or general anesthetic?
Reply 4
In reality the thought is worse than the reality.I had to have my tooth taken out by local and honestly I would never go back to general now.No groggy after effects and you will not feel a thing.Just make sure the injections have worked before they start.I also said I would like to keep my eyes closed and all you get is a feeling of them working in your mouth.Really I was terrified but for no reason
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
In reality the thought is worse than the reality.I had to have my tooth taken out by local and honestly I would never go back to general now.No groggy after effects and you will not feel a thing.Just make sure the injections have worked before they start.I also said I would like to keep my eyes closed and all you get is a feeling of them working in your mouth.Really I was terrified but for no reason

I’m local, too. I’ll definitely keep that in mind about the injections, thank you. That’s very reassuring, though, thank you!
Visitng the dentists is one of the most common anxeities that you could find. There's a reason a lot of adults don't go for years until something goes badly wrong!.

I'd recommend telling the dentist that it's your first solo visit and that you're a bit nervous. If they're decent they'll go a bit easier and ex[lain what they're doig as they go along.

If your teeth are in good nick, they won't need to poke around much in any case.
Reply 7
thank you so much guys! It’s all done now. The injection hurt like a bugger, but otherwise, it was completely fine. Everyone was so lovely, and it was really Christmassy in there. Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 8
No problem!🦷

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending