The Student Room Group

My M&S Application form!

Hi everyone,

I've just applied to a marks and spencer's near me but I was just wondering how long they take to get back to applicants? And what the recruitment process is like especially the interview stage. Also, do you need a lot of experince to work at M&S, could this be a first job? Could someone please shed some light for me. Do I have a chance?

Thanks xx
Hey did you do the application online? What position was it for? Generally for a customer assistant if you pass the online application then you will get offered an interview slot pretty quickly. When you go for an interview they should tell you there and then if you have passed that. Well that's how it worked for me and people that have been taken on since I started in the store that I work in. This was the first part time job that I had so I had no experience before I started so that shouldn't matter. If you get an interview let me know and I'll tell you what mine was like (although it was a few years ago I started). I've been working in my store since the summer of my last year in school and all throughout uni and there are quite a few students on the same shifts as me.
Reply 2
Original post by glasgow_student
Hey did you do the application online? What position was it for? Generally for a customer assistant if you pass the online application then you will get offered an interview slot pretty quickly. When you go for an interview they should tell you there and then if you have passed that. Well that's how it worked for me and people that have been taken on since I started in the store that I work in. This was the first part time job that I had so I had no experience before I started so that shouldn't matter. If you get an interview let me know and I'll tell you what mine was like (although it was a few years ago I started). I've been working in my store since the summer of my last year in school and all throughout uni and there are quite a few students on the same shifts as me.

Thank you!!

Roughly how many weeks after do they get back to applicants after their application submission?

It's for the customer assistant role :smile:

What happens at the interview stage?
Original post by Roy101
Thank you!!

Roughly how many weeks after do they get back to applicants after their application submission?

It's for the customer assistant role :smile:

What happens at the interview stage?

I found out I had passed the online stage and was to select an interview slot the same day. The interview is split into two parts - typical interview and role play. The standard interview part for me was more like a general chat, asking about uni courses I was going on to do and about school, and I told them I was just about to sit my driving test so being able to get to the store would not be a problem, then a couple of expected questions like "why M&S?" and "what do you think the role involves?".
In the role play part, they are looking to see how you would respond in a particular situation. You get given some sheets of paper with information/ deals and offers/ promotions/ other store details etc. on them, the person or people interviewing you leave the room and give you time to look over them and make some notes, then will come back in and pretend to be a customer. The particular role play will depend on what department the job is for and could range from being a missing food order item e.g. a birthday cake, someone looking for advice on food for a party or someone coming in looking to buy something that is out of stock for food related jobs or someone coming in looking to buy a suit, wanting an item of clothing that is out of stock or have bought an item that is faulty for clothing departments. They basically look to see if what you would do to make the customer happy and if you use the information on the sheets i.e. promote offers if appropriate, offer alternatives, check availability in other stores etc.
Reply 4
tion
I found out I had passed the online stage and was to select an interview slot the same day. The interview is split into two parts - typical interview and role play. The standard interview part for me was more like a general chat, asking about uni courses I was going on to do and about school, and I told them I was just about to sit my driving test so being able to get to the store would not be a problem, then a couple of expected questions like "why M&S?" and "what do you think the role involves?".
In the role play part, they are looking to see how you would respond in a particular situation. You get given some sheets of paper with information/ deals and offers/ promotions/ other store details etc. on them, the person or people interviewing you leave the room and give you time to look over them and make some notes, then will come back in and pretend to be a customer. The particular role play will depend on what department the job is for and could range from being a missing food order item e.g. a birthday cake, someone looking for advice on food for a party or someone coming in looking to buy something that is out of stock for food related jobs or someone coming in looking to buy a suit, wanting an item of clothing that is out of stock or have bought an item that is faulty for clothing departments. They basically look to see if what you would do to make the customer happy and if you use the information on the sheets i.e. promote offers if appropriate, offer alternatives, check availability in other stores etc.

Hello, thanks for that. So in the role play, you just talk to the "customer" and respond as if you would in the real-life situation? Plus, I applied for the simply food section of the store as a Customer Assistant Salesfloor position, if that helps. The position I applied for is a temp position, but would rather prefer a perm contract, is that possible? do M&S extend contracts easily? Plus, you mention they got back to you on the same day, I'm concerned now, as they haven't gotten back to me yet! Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Roy101
tion

Hello, thanks for that. So in the role play, you just talk to the "customer" and respond as if you would in the real-life situation? Plus, I applied for the simply food section of the store as a Customer Assistant Salesfloor position, if that helps. The position I applied for is a temp position, but would rather prefer a perm contract, is that possible? do M&S extend contracts easily? Plus, you mention they got back to you on the same day, I'm concerned now, as they haven't gotten back to me yet! Thanks for your help :smile:

Things might have changed in terms of time frames since I did my application and interview but don't think negatively because you haven't heard anything about not having an interview either! Yeah in the role play they basically want to see how you handle a particular situation. Since it's a simply food role the scenario will most likely be food related then. Most people start out on temp contracts but it gives you and the store both a chance to see how you fit into the team and role. Towards the end of the contract if you have shown good timekeeping, responsibility, ability to do the job well etc. and if its possible then it is highly likely that the contract would be increased until a time where they could offer a permanent one. I started out on a temp contract but got made permanent and have been working there for the last few years while at uni.

Fingers crossed you hear something soon!
Reply 6
Things might have changed in terms of time frames since I did my application and interview but don't think negatively because you haven't heard anything about not having an interview either! Yeah in the role play they basically want to see how you handle a particular situation. Since it's a simply food role the scenario will most likely be food related then. Most people start out on temp contracts but it gives you and the store both a chance to see how you fit into the team and role. Towards the end of the contract if you have shown good timekeeping, responsibility, ability to do the job well etc. and if its possible then it is highly likely that the contract would be increased until a time where they could offer a permanent one. I started out on a temp contract but got made permanent and have been working there for the last few years while at uni.

Fingers crossed you hear something soon!

Thank you! I hope they do get back to me. Oh, that's great how you've managed to stay on! I've read quite a bit about other peoples experiences and they say you cannot progress onto perm contract after being a temp, is that true? I'm dreading the interview stage, to be honest, role play isn't my thing xD but I'll try my best I suppose, what more can I do!
Original post by Roy101
Thank you! I hope they do get back to me. Oh, that's great how you've managed to stay on! I've read quite a bit about other peoples experiences and they say you cannot progress onto perm contract after being a temp, is that true? I'm dreading the interview stage, to be honest, role play isn't my thing xD but I'll try my best I suppose, what more can I do!

I know everyone's experience will not be the same but pretty much everyone I work with started out as temp and progressed onto permanent so I wouldn't agree with that. If it's possibly why wouldn't they keep on the temp staff if they are working well because you will have gone through training and everything! Don't be too nervous about the interview. For me it was my first interview for a part time job but the people doing the interview made me feel relaxed. Just think for the role play how you would want to be treated - remain polite, apologise for any issues/out of stock items, ask at the end if there is anything else you can help them with etc. Let me know if you get an interview!
Reply 8
I know everyone's experience will not be the same but pretty much everyone I work with started out as temp and progressed onto permanent so I wouldn't agree with that. If it's possibly why wouldn't they keep on the temp staff if they are working well because you will have gone through training and everything! Don't be too nervous about the interview. For me it was my first interview for a part time job but the people doing the interview made me feel relaxed. Just think for the role play how you would want to be treated - remain polite, apologise for any issues/out of stock items, ask at the end if there is anything else you can help them with etc. Let me know if you get an interview!

Will do, thank you for all your help :smile:

Hi there,

I am looking at trying to get a customer assistant role at M&S would I be able to message you and get some tips on the online application process it is so difficult and confusing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending