The Student Room Group

People in school snooping on my Twitter page

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe2001
I'm not just going to let him read my tweets out in order to humiliate me. That's all it was. He can read them to his heart's content, but nothing further.

You
Don't
Get
To
Decide
What
Anyone
Does
With
Your
Public
Tweets.

Which part of that isn't penetrating?

Now grow up.
Reply 21
If you think he's bullying or harassing you mention it to a teacher.

The fact it's your Twitter posts isn't really relevant, they are public. Make your account private, as I said earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
If you think he's bullying or harassing you mention it to a teacher.

The fact it's your Twitter posts isn't really relevant, they are public. Make your account private, as I said earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with your comment. The posts aren't the problem, it's that he is using them in order to harass me and expose me for being the person that I am.
Original post by Joe2001
expose me for being the person that I am.

if you think it through, I think you will find that you expose yourself for the person that you are.
Original post by Good bloke
if you think it through, I think you will find that you expose yourself for the person that you are.

Sorry, my phrasing was off there. What I meant was that some guys have targeted me for being more feminine and struggling to fit in, and those posts just gave them more ammunition.
Reply 25
Original post by Joe2001
Sorry, my phrasing was off there. What I meant was that some guys have targeted me for being more feminine and struggling to fit in, and those posts just gave them more ammunition.

But you are giving the "ammunition".

Make your account private.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joe2001
those posts just gave them more ammunition.

Well, you know the adage: When you are in a hole, stop digging.

Don't share your innermost secrets with the public.And remember also, Nobody ever went far wrong in having a low opinion of the public's intelligence or kindness.
Original post by Doonesbury
But you are giving the "ammunition".

Make your account private.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. The problem is that if I follow someone, can they still see what I am saying? Like, if I am tweeting them something.
If you don't want people to talk about things you've tweeted, there are two options:

(a) Don't tweet things you don't want being passed around
(b) Protect your tweets (so long as these people don't follow you)

Once you publish something online it's no longer really "yours". People can do with it what they want. Hardly an invasion of privacy - you've put those details out there for everyone to see in the first place.

Now what I'd recommend is to listen to what people have been telling you and protect your tweets, rather than avoiding it and making a situation out of, well, very little. If the teasing/bullying is the issue, take it up with your school/college. The tweets themselves aren't.
Reply 29
Original post by Joe2001
Fair enough. The problem is that if I follow someone, can they still see what I am saying? Like, if I am tweeting them something.

If you reply to their tweets that person can see it.

And people you authorise to follow your account can see your tweets.

https://help.twitter.com/en/safety-and-security/public-and-protected-tweets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joe2001
I completely agree with your comment. The posts aren't the problem, it's that he is using them in order to harass me and expose me for being the person that I am.

It's not nice to be harassed, so if you don't like people using public content as ammunition to bully or belittle you, you should...
Make your account private. :smile:
Just made my account private. Now the twits won't be able to see a thing!
Reply 32
Original post by Joe2001
Just made my account private. Now the twits won't be able to see a thing!

They will if they were already following the account. You would have to identify and block them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paracosm
It's not nice to be harassed, so if you don't like people using public content as ammunition to bully or belittle you, you should...
Make your account private. :smile:

Why am I unable to PM you?
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Why am I unable to PM you?

I'm really not sure, I can PM you?
Original post by Paracosm
I'm really not sure, I can PM you?

Yes, do that...
Original post by Joe2001
I'm not just going to let him read my tweets out in order to humiliate me. That's all it was. He can read them to his heart's content, but nothing further.

Yes, you are right he was acting rude by reading it out and trying to get a reaction from you, people can be dicks. But YOU posted it online which makes its ultimately YOUR fault in the end. If you only want close followers seeing your opinions of strictly come dancing or LGBT issues, then make the account private. If you want to keep it public, then well you have to accept the risk that comes with that.

Quick Reply

Latest