The Student Room Group

Men supporting women and equality

It's International Women's Day today! A day for celebrating women and girls and for thinking about what issues or inequalities they may face, here or abroad.

But let's face it, when it comes to the whole equality/ women's issues thing it can feel like a bit of an us vs them situation and that just isn't what equality is all about.
Equality is about everybody working together to make the world a better and happier place for everybody. It's about everybody respecting each other, considering the issues they may face and appreciating their strengths and what they can contribute to our shared world. Equality is about standing together, but as part of it we do sometimes have to look at the individual issues and sometimes that can lead to forgetting the big picture.

On that note, there are a lot of great men and boys in the world who are supportive of women and girls or equality in general.
Now this is a women's day thread so there's going to be that focus there, but let's talk about the men and boys in the world who are doing good things, who support women and girls or who you appreciate.

Are there any men/ boys in your life who are supportive of women and girls?
Do you know of any men or boys in the world doing good things and #PressingForChange?

And get ready for International Men's Day this November!

Other IWD threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5236682
(edited 6 years ago)
Why do people insist on forcing this drivel down people's throats?
Reply 2
Original post by DanB1991

Sorry you're not a fan, but I'm not forcing anything. You have the whole internet to look at, maybe you can find something you do like and focus your attention on that.
Just going to say... "And get ready for International Men's Day this November!"

That is quite a while away, bit weird.

I am all for equality, but like all things, there are some disadvantages to it. (Mostly just some minorities who use feminism and equality for their own purposes, hiding behind it. Such as some people wanting the advantages of equality but not the disadvantages. )
Original post by monkeyman0121

I am all for equality, but like all things, there are some disadvantages to it. (Mostly just some minorities who use feminism and equality for their own purposes, hiding behind it. Such as some people wanting the advantages of equality but not the disadvantages. )

That's not a disadvantage of equality, it's a disadvantage of people wanting inequality.
Reply 5

I know I know, but I'm not sure as many people know that's a thing and with this thread being about men too I felt like it was worth mentioning. There wasn't really a good way to slip it in so weird it was.

I agree with you there, but I don't think we can let those people and ideas get in the way of the real positives that can come from thinking about equality. Setting a good example is better than leaving them to make a mess. And it's a pretty complex thing so I think it's understandable that people don't always show the full picture. :smile:
Original post by DanB1991

If you don’t like the sound of a thread, don’t click on it. It’s not rocket science.
Reply 7
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
International Womens Day is nothing but a tokenistic gesture that does nothing to actually address inequality in the places where women need it most. It's mostly just used by those in the developed world, particularly women who are already in a position of privilege, to pat themselves on the back and feel good about having done absolutely nothing.

I think you're looking for the "why the world sucks" thread. Take another look cos this isn't it.
Yes things like this are largely a feel good thing, but it is also an opportunity to remind people of the issues that are out there and of what progress has already happened. And honestly I think that a bit of positivity is a good thing every now and then.
Original post by Student-95
That's not a disadvantage of equality, it's a disadvantage of people wanting inequality.

It is. By getting closer to equality there will always be people who want more than that. Whilst people are working hard for equality others throw the word around and use it for their own purposes.

For example:

Feminism is used in order to gain equal rights for women in society. (same as men.) Some people would want to gain the good parts of this such as the pay gap and other things whilst not wanting things that stop them from doing something or allow the other sex to do something differently. (Such as expecting the other sex not to retaliate if they do something bad or wrong with them.)
It is. By getting closer to equality there will always be people who want more than that. Whilst people are working hard for equality others throw the word around and use it for their own purposes.

For example:

Feminism is used in order to gain equal rights for women in society. (same as men.) Some people would want to gain the good parts of this such as the pay gap and other things whilst not wanting things that stop them from doing something or allow the other sex to do something differently. (Such as expecting the other sex not to retaliate if they do something bad or wrong with them.)

The people that want inequality will want it regardless of how close we are to equality. Also what's it disadvantageous compared to? If we don't move towards equality then people will be unequal by default.
The people that want inequality will want it regardless of how close we are to equality. Also what's it disadvantageous compared to? If we don't move towards equality then people will be unequal by default.

There is no such thing as complete equality.

We can only get closer to it. We can only have a balance.
Equality should be just that... Equality ie equal treatment of all people

I personally treat people in the same way.

I just get annoyed when people think that it's appropriate to fight for "Equality" by perpetuating and advocating for inequality.
Reply 12
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Affecting change and actually helping women in need requires more than patting yourself on the back once a year for doing absolutely nothing. The world isn't powered by "good feelings". But hey, if this thread helps you sleep better at night without having to do a damn thing, have at it hoss. Personally, I believe people like my mother, who has experienced more pain and adversity in her little finger (as a result of being a woman in a developing nation) than I suspect you will ever witness in your entire lifetime, deserves better.

That's not really the point of things like this though. They're to raise awareness of issues and ways you can help to affect change.
I'm willing to bet that one of the illnesses people are most aware of is Cancer. Why's that? Awareness campaigns and experience. And that all leads to a lot of donations, research and better understanding. People can't help with things they don't know about. Campaigns like this are designed to raise awareness and get people excited about a cause.
And look. I wasn't aware of your mother's struggles until now, but because you have mentioned them I am interested in finding out more and possibly doing something to help with similar situations. Awareness in action.

And I think that the world very much is powered by feelings- good and bad. I act because I have feelings. I give money to cancer charities because I care. The positive feelings from seeing those happy endings in adverts and negative ones from my own experiences lead to my action and a little bit more money for research.
There is no such thing as complete equality.

We can only get closer to it. We can only have a balance.

Sure there is. You can argue over whether or not it is desirable but it is definitely a thing.
Sure there is. You can argue over whether or not it is desirable but it is definitely a thing.

No there is not. There will always be thoughts of someone being more powerful than another.
sadly no, all the men i know are misogynists

Quick Reply

Latest