The Student Room Group

What's the purpose of the 'Count to a 10000 Thread's?

The answer may be just as simple as 'recreation', however they do output a 'sad and dead' image of TSR users, to onlookers. Ofc this quite visibly, doesn't affect the participants (which is great) and calls into question the purposes and productivity levels of other long-running threads such as the MHoC - Does someone disagree with me and actually consider these threads to be worthwhile?

NB: I'm not bashing anyone's choice of recreation, just exploring them as to how they stimulate participants!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Just another thing people do to fill the void until they die and become the void. I reckon.
Original post by Notoriety
Just another thing people do to fill the void until they die and become the void. I reckon.

I see
Perhaps we should ask @spotify95 :colone:

I think recreation is the main one though
Reply 4
To count...
Original post by adamantacademic
The answer may be just as simple as 'recreation', however they do output a 'sad and dead' image of TSR users, to onlookers. Ofc this quite visibly, doesn't affect the participants (which is great) and calls into question the purposes and productivity levels of other long-running threads such as the MHoC - Does someone disagree with me and actually consider these threads to be worthwhile?

NB: I'm not bashing anyone's choice of recreation, just exploring them as to how they stimulate participants!

Thanks
Originally it was in competition with another forum outside of TSR.:yep:

Your point about purpose relates to the purpose about TSR in general. It's both for helping students, and giving them an opportunity to unwind online. That's why we have a range of sections. (speaking from my opinion only)
Original post by Lemur14
Perhaps we should ask @spotify95 :colone:

I think recreation is the main one though
Ahem.:colonhash:
Original post by 04MR17

Your point about purpose relates to the purpose about TSR in general. It's both for helping students, and giving them an opportunity to unwind online. That's why we have a range of sections. (speaking from my opinion only)

For me it's about defining purposefulness in terms of productivity, I use the site to seek academic advice, hence my name, and unwind myself by engaging in dialogue on current affairs.
Reply 8
I couldn't give a shiny shite about productivity on a website, to be honest.
:ditto:
For me it's about defining purposefulness in terms of productivity, I use the site to seek academic advice, hence my name, and unwind myself by engaging in dialogue on current affairs.
And other people unwind differently to that.:wink:
Reply 10
Why does there need to be a purpose, anyway?
Meh, I don't see much point to them but if people enjoy them then I see no reason to oppose that :dontknow:
Reply 12
Takes all sorts. Suppose it bumps up your post count.
Original post by gjd800
Why does there need to be a purpose, anyway?

Hmm, interesting. These threads may be philosophically acceptable for atheists, given that they believe life lacks any preordained purpose that should be followed, hence everything is as meaningless as anything. Any religious 'Counting' partakers, present to utterly destroy my hypothesis?
I have no idea what purpose they serve.
Original post by gjd800
Takes all sorts. Suppose it bumps up your post count.

:flute:

20k and counting.....
Reply 16
Hmm, interesting. These threads may be philosophically acceptable for atheists, given that they believe life lacks any preordained purpose that should be followed, hence everything is as meaningless as anything. Any religious 'Counting' partakers, present to utterly destroy my hypothesis?

It doesn't need to go that deeply. Life could have an overall meaning whilst still containing instances of meaninglessness. In any case, you needn't be atheist to bemoan teleology.
so we don’t forget our numbers obviously
Original post by 04MR17

Indeed, you've got it in one. The reason why CTAM (if that's what this thread is referring to) was made, was to compete with another forum that I used to post on. That forum has since completed theirs, but we're not giving up as it also gives people somewhere to post for procrastination purposes, or for unwinding etc. We're all a friendly bunch and there is often one or more of us about so there's always someone to chat to :smile:

Also, just remembered, there's another competing forum that has one of these, which is different to the 1st one, which we're trying to beat :yep:

lol at you for thinking TSR is a productive place. it has lost that status for ages now

Latest