The Student Room Group

Re-bleaching bleached and dyed hair?

I bleached my own hair 18 months ago and it wasn't too bad after some toning, but it wasn't right. So I had a cool brown dye over the top professionally which has stayed in the full 18 months without a touch up and it gives me a very natural ombre look as it grows out.

However, I want a proper light blonde ombre now, but not sure what they would do to create this? Strip the brown and rebleach?

My hair is super strong and healthy as I don't even straighten it and wash every 5 days, and is shoulder length so can't just cut off the previously bleached part.

What do reckon the procedure is? Will it be really damaging and complex? And a rough estimate of a cost if you have any idea?
Reply 1
Go to a decent colour technician. Don’t try this yourself. You’ll end up with really bright blonde roots and orange ends. The reds from the brown dye need to be neutralised and removed which is much harder than natural colour. The old coloured hair at he ends will need a different treatment to the roots.
Reply 2
Original post by Jake Kaine
Go to a decent colour technician. Don’t try this yourself. You’ll end up with really bright blonde roots and orange ends. The reds from the brown dye need to be neutralised and removed which is much harder than natural colour. The old coloured hair at he ends will need a different treatment to the roots.

Hi I've booked an appointment with a professional to have this done, don't worry lol. I'm not going to make that mistake again. Currently the brown dye starts half way down my hair as it has grown out over the 18 months. I don't need anything doing to the top half of my hair, I just need the bottom making blonde. However, that is blonde underneath with the cool brown over (no red undertone as they matched it to my almost mousey brown hair). Are you saying they need to strip my hair of the brown then rebleach the blonde underneath? It was also really patchy blonde so some is natural brown and some dyed.
They said they could do the ombre but I'm not sure they understood what I was telling them when I said some is natural brown and some dyed lol. I can't see how they will be able to dye it all to the same blonde if some is previously bleached and some not?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I've booked an appointment with a professional to have this done, don't worry lol. I'm not going to make that mistake again. Currently the brown dye starts half way down my hair as it has grown out over the 18 months. I don't need anything doing to the top half of my hair, I just need the bottom making blonde. However, that is blonde underneath with the cool brown over (no red undertone as they matched it to my almost mousey brown hair). Are you saying they need to strip my hair of the brown then rebleach the blonde underneath? It was also really patchy blonde so some is natural brown and some dyed.
They said they could do the ombre but I'm not sure they understood what I was telling them when I said some is natural brown and some dyed lol. I can't see how they will be able to dye it all to the same blonde if some is previously bleached and some not?

They will probably bleach the colour out of the ends with a couple of different applications providing the hair is in good enough condition. They might then use a quazi to get the hair to math as close as possible. Quasi’s don’t damage your hair but will need redoing every few months. Eventually all the treated hair will grow out. Most hairdressers will avoid using strippers at all costs. Most don’t even stock it tbh, horrible stuff!
It’s difficult to tell without seeing it myself. There’s probably new techniques available from when I was hairdressing too.
Actually, I was thinking about to get dye my hair but I guess it's not healthy for hair. But there are amazing pastel hair colors, I don't know what to do :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending